Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-22-03, 04:35 PM   #1
schelli

Default Problem with 5328 on toshiba laptop

hi there,

I'm quite new to linux and there are many things that i do not yet know, so it might be that this is question is easy to answer if someone is more familiar with linux.

I have a Toshiba 2410-404 notebook with an build in geforce4go adapter, running mandrake 9.2.

I did a normal installation and got the kernel source afterwards with "urpmi kernel-source".
i was using the "nv" module and it worked well. today i decided to install the official nvidia driver, so i downloaded "NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-5328-pkg1.run" and installed it as described in the readme.

i made the necessary changes to XF86Config-4 (i.e. changing "nv" to "nvidia") and restarted my x-server.

picture came up, but the desktop is not fitting the screen anymore. on the right side of the screen there is a black border (about 1cm, doesn't go away!) and additionally i can scroll over my screen (if i move the mouse to the upper corner of the screen, the display slides upwards for about 2-3 cm).

i think i just have to tell the driver the native screen resolution (1024x768) but i dont know where to do this und why it was working well bevor installing the new driver.

it would be very nice, if someone is able to help me :-)

cu
mario schellenberger

btw: hope my englisch isn't too bad
schelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-04, 02:16 PM   #2
pszczolek

try: NVreg_SoftEDIDs=0 NVreg_Mobile=2 module parameters (/etc/modules.conf or /etc/modprobe.conf), check the README

and try these parameters with the older drivers (I doesn't work with 5328 for me)
pszczolek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-04, 10:27 AM   #3
schelli

i finally got it working:

using the XF86Config-4 provided on http://www.thorstenhaas.de/toshiba2410/ removed the ugly black bar on the right hand side.

if you start a game and you don't use the native display resolution (1024x768) the black bar is there again, but not if you use the display-resolution. works fine here (only tested with tuxracer )

hth
schelli
schelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-04, 04:36 AM   #4
UncleZeiv

Quote:
Originally posted by schelli
[B
if you start a game and you don't use the native display resolution (1024x768) the black bar is there again, but not if you use the display-resolution[/b]
So, has anyone got any idea about how to solve this one on non-native display resolutions? It's driving me crazy! What's more, it *used to work* until recently... Isn't that a driver bug?

_dave_