Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-11-02, 12:49 PM   #1
volt

Default Official Linux driver 1.0-4191 thread

NVIDIA has posted new Linux drivers:

IA32
Version: 1.0-41.91 (http://www.nvidia.com/view.asp?IO=li..._ia32_1.0-4191)
Release Date: Dec 11 2002
Release Highlights
* OpenGL 1.4 with CineFX architecture support
* Support for AGP 8x and nForce2 IGP
* Support for index overlays on Quadro4 to support legacy applications
* Support for separate X screens on a nView enabled GPUs
* GLX 1.3 support

IA64
Version: 1.0-40.50 (http://www.nvidia.com/view.asp?IO=li..._ia64_1.0-4050)
Release Highlights
* Improved SPEC Viewperf performance by up to 20%
* GLX 1.3 support

Athlon 64
Version: 1.0-4180 (http://www.nvidia.com/view.asp?IO=li...amd64_1.0-4180)
Release Highlights
* First publicly available Athlon 64 graphics driver
* GLX 1.3 support
[b]Optimization guidelines by Koji Ashida of NVIDIA:[/b][list][*]Use fx12 instructions whenever possible[*]Use lowest pixel shader version[/list][url=http://developer.nvidia.com/docs/IO/10878/ChinaJoy2004_OptimizationAndTools.pdf]source[/url]

[size=1]The politics are invading the technology. We don't really like to mess with politics because that kind of adversarial relationship has nothing to do with pure technical operations and the technical specifications of what we like to play with, the hardware![/size]

Last edited by volt; 12-11-02 at 07:03 PM.
volt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-02, 12:59 PM   #2
mtrr

Send a message via ICQ to mtrr

before anyone complains without reading the documentation:

the name NVdriver is obsolete,
new name is nvidia.o (modprobe
nvidia should work)

cheers
mtrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-02, 01:51 PM   #3
tiger

I just installed the new driver but when starting X the screen turns black and nothing happens. CTRL-ALT-Backspace has no effect. CTRL-ALT-Del causes the machine to start the shutdown procedure but shortly after the machine freezes. When I disable AGP support, I can start X but of course with degraded performance.

The XFree log looks normal, the last entry is something about initializing AGP8x

My hardware-configuration: MSI KT4 Ultra (KT400 chipset with AGP8x), Athlon XP 2400, MSI GeForce 4 ti 4200 AGP8x 128MB, kernel 2.4.20-ac1 (for KT400 support)

Is it possible to disable AGP8x initialisation to try AGP4x? I guess my problem is the KT400 chipset and/or AGP8x...

btw. using kernel agpgart fails with "agpgart: unable to determine aperture size" so I am using the internal AGP support of the driver.

Tiger

Last edited by tiger; 12-11-02 at 01:58 PM.
tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-02, 02:54 PM   #4
misleb

Default Its so big!

Holy cow. I just got this driver and the kernel module (nvidia.o) is 1.7MB! Thats insane. Its up 50% from the previous release. Please tell me that its "mostly useful, human readable, debug/error strings and sanity checking" :-)

Seriously, what is gong on here? 1.7MB seems a little excessive for a kernel module. I realize that to make video as fast as possible, a lot of stuff needs to go into kernel space, but what about system stability? Isn't one of the reasons that Windows is/was so notoriously unstable is because they put the graphics at the kernel level?

Can anyone comment on the possible tradeoffs of disadvantages of having so much graphics code in the kernel? Is the size of the kernel module a result of the "universial" nature of the driver? I'm not so much concerned with the amount of RAM used as the bloat itself.

-matthew
misleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-02, 04:00 PM   #5

You people better help me RIGHT NOW!!! I installed the supposed Nvidia driver Rpm for 8.0 and along with GLX, now I cannot get into Xserve. It took me 3 days to install the last drivers and get my system configured and everything working, and now everything is blown thanks to this b$. I am getting a XIO fatal IO error 104 on Xserve. Fatal server error no screens found, I can edit my Xconfig but changing driver from nvidia to nvidia.o has not helped. WHAT DO I DO???

Last edited by 3777; 12-11-02 at 04:17 PM.
3777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-02, 04:08 PM   #6

this is very frustrating, I am trying to manually re-install the old drivers to get Xserve again. Anyone reading this DO NOT install the rpm by Nvidia, thay are junk and will wreck your system. Try to install the new drivers via Tar.GZ, that what I'm going to do if what I'm trying to do now works
Old 12-11-02, 04:16 PM   #7
bwkaz

Default Does nVidia regression-test anything? ;-)

OK, the error that first brought me here ("dlopen: /usr/lib/libGLcore.so.1: undefined symbol: __divdi3" message in /var/log/XFree86.0.log) has apparently recurred.

Version 3123 fixed the problem, which was good, but making 4191 reintroduce it? Come on, guys!

Well, I for one will be going back to 3123 until this gets fixed...

Oh, by the way, the problem as I understand it is with gcc 3.2, so anyone who used that to compile glibc would be well-advised to either just not bother with 4191, or try it anyway but be warned -- you may not get "glx" to load due to this error.

Is anyone from nVidia reading this? (Andy?) Can you get someone to fix that bug again? -- I'm assuming it's a simple change, since the last time I asked linux-bugs, it was a known problem.

3777 -- post your X log (/var/log/XFree86.0.log, AS AN ATTACHMENT PLEASE ) and your hardware.
Registered Linux User #219692
bwkaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-02, 04:17 PM   #8
mtrr

Send a message via ICQ to mtrr

calm down boy, don't change your XF86Config(-4)
or whatever redhat calls it.

look in /etc/modules.conf and change every appearance of 'NVdriver'
with 'nvidia' and do a depmod (-ae) after.

cheers
mtrr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-11-02, 04:25 PM   #9

On a laptop right now, system with Red Hat is Athalon XP2100+, 1 gig DDR, and TI4600 card, running Red Hat 8.0 ver. 18.8 & XP Pro. I have everything back, but those Nvidia rpm's SHOULD install a proper Xconfig file as part of the process. I dont' understand how Nvidia can just put out rpm's that for some people .......could lead them to have to re-install .....or completely give up on Linux. I will try to make the new drivers from Tar.gz, if that works great, if not I will go back to 3123's, but please people build the drivers, do not just install the rpm, they just don't work.
Old 12-11-02, 04:30 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally posted by mtrr
calm down boy, don't change your XF86Config(-4)
or whatever redhat calls it.

look in /etc/modules.conf and change every appearance of 'NVdriver'
with 'nvidia' and do a depmod (-ae) after.

cheers
Ok so this a new one. I edit the modules.conf file as well? (See Nvidia you should have the rpm's do this !!!!) I wll still create the new driver via Tar.GZ, and rename the modlues.conf and see if it works...
Old 12-11-02, 04:31 PM   #11
michael

Angry

This sucks !!! I dont know if it`s a SUSE thing but Ti4200 is NOT working with SUSE 8.1 SMP Athlon. Holy shi*

The last message in *.log is :

(**) Mouse[1]: Buttons: 5
(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Mouse[1]" (type: MOUSE)
select returned 1
select returned 1 .... (a few times)
select returned 0 ....
this goes on forever. The System is not crashed it can be reached via telnet and rebooted without any problem.

When using "nv" instead of "nvdriver" and NOT loading "glx" at least X can be started beside the fact that some minor applications like xterm or emacs do produce some fly footprints on the screen. I'll give it a last try with mandrake and if this is not working you'll find a Ti4200 at a reasonable price at ebay

Regards

Michael
michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-02, 04:42 PM   #12
volt

Why the hell do you use RPM's. That's the worst thing you could have done. Compiling from source aint hard nor time consuming. I haven't compiled new drivers but NEVER had problems with older versions (Both Redhat and Slackware). Have you read README ? You could have done something wrong, so please stop blaming Nvidia unless you are 100% positive. Once you install the drivers MAKE SURE your XConfig file is correctly edited (read the notes in README). The new drivers may overwrite your existing file so double check your entries.
[b]Optimization guidelines by Koji Ashida of NVIDIA:[/b][list][*]Use fx12 instructions whenever possible[*]Use lowest pixel shader version[/list][url=http://developer.nvidia.com/docs/IO/10878/ChinaJoy2004_OptimizationAndTools.pdf]source[/url]

[size=1]The politics are invading the technology. We don't really like to mess with politics because that kind of adversarial relationship has nothing to do with pure technical operations and the technical specifications of what we like to play with, the hardware![/size]
volt is offline   Reply With Quote