Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Rumor Mill

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-27-02, 05:49 PM   #1
Shattered Soul

Send a message via AIM to Shattered Soul Send a message via Yahoo to Shattered Soul
Default ATI/Nvidia

Greetings from Rage3D The Greatest Place For ATI News.

I just came by here to see if the constant ATI/Nvidia bashing was happening here too, and indeed it is.

Watching these kind of threads is very entertaining.

As for my position, I like both ATI and Nvidia. Competition between companies drives them to make better technology at better prices.
4x256mb Kingston PC1066 ECC RDRAM
ATI Radeon 9700 Pro v1.0
2x100GB RAID Western Digital 7200RPM w/8mb buffer
Terratec DMX6Fire 24/96

Debian is techically as advanced as DOS was in the early 80's. Why anyone but perverts would use it is beyond me.
-Anonymous
Shattered Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-02, 05:55 PM   #2
-=DVS=-
.:. Lafiel .:.

I Agree to your statement
Old 12-28-02, 03:56 AM   #3
Uttar

Send a message via AIM to Uttar Send a message via Yahoo to Uttar

Yep, VERY entertaining.
But anyway, even if those kind of threads do happen here, I think a many love to bash the people who are obviously biased, no matter if they're nVidia biased or ATI biased.

Heck, it's mostly a few stupid trolls who quit after 2 weeks of being bashed. The problem being there are a LOT of them

Personally, I still prefer nVidia because of cleaner drivers ( yes, I know ATI drivers have become good and stable; but nVidia drivers are still better AFAIK ) .
ATI developer support is also simple crap compared to nVidia's developer support. But this IS getting a lot better, mostly since they hired Richard Huddy ( who quitted nVidia because of Cg )

Beside that, I've really got nothing against ATI. I think their cards are excellent, and they often push new technologies ( HyperZ, PS1.4, MRT, ... ) , technologies nVidia sometimes doesn't support for years ( Example: PS 1.4. ; they won't have a card capable of doing such a shader in one pass before February 2003 with the GFFX; ATI got such a card in August 2001 )

Of course, now, nVidia is pushing in a lot of new techs with the GFFX, but ATI still got MRT and a huge time advantage ( the R400 will certainly have a few new techs )

The only problem with this insane war is for poor programmers; always having to keep up to date on new technologies, and deciding if it's worth to implement them ( *cough* PS1.4 *cough* ) and potentially have a significantly less beautiful/efficient engine for cards not supporting it.

Of course, they won't have that with MRT. I've just read DX9 documents, and MRT disables AntiAliasing support. I don't quite understand why ATI would even support that... It seems a lot more like a workstation feature or something then... Too lazy to put it only in a FireGL chip? j/k, new features, even useless, are always nice.

Uttar
Uttar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-02, 05:01 AM   #4
MrNasty
MrNasty

So you would rather have a ti4200 than a radion 9500 pro uttar ?

I think ATI does really need to sort it's drivers out... I mean the currant ones have IRQ conflicts as well as don't work well with Opengl games... thats every quake3 engine based. This is suiside, they have to step up on this.

But ATI still leads in the value for money stakes, not that this bothers Nvidia because they have become the POP choice of graphics cards.

I'd not like to buy Nvidia because I don't aggree with their bullish anti competitve tactics and questionable 'support' ( only allowing a demo to run on nvidia hardware when it runs just as well on ATI ).

It looks increasingly hard for ATI in the general consumer stakes... these games appearing with 'nvidia the way it's ment to be played' are patronising and also inaccurate in that an ATI radion pro would do a faster and better job than an nvidia card at the time. I mean ATI has DX9 compliance and pixel / vertex shaders.

All it has is driver issues. A lack of marketing an difficulty to market is making it hard for them but they still produce the best value for money cards in certain price brackets.

Does this make me an ATI fanboy ?
Old 12-28-02, 06:40 AM   #5
Kruno
TypeDef's assistant

Send a message via ICQ to Kruno Send a message via AIM to Kruno

I wish Ati, Nvidia, S3 etc... would have 100% perfect drivers that work no matter what. I'm dreaming BTW.

Now if we all owned 486s and SIS video cards.
Old 12-28-02, 06:42 AM   #6
MrNasty
MrNasty

How hard can it be ?
Old 12-28-02, 08:37 AM   #7
Uttar

Quote:
Originally posted by MrNasty
So you would rather have a ti4200 than a radion 9500 pro uttar ?
Depends on the price. For the same price, I'd pick a Radeon 9500 Pro; but then again, pricewatch is very clear on this:
Cheapest Radeon 9500 Pro: $178
Cheapest GeForce 4 Ti 4200 64MB: $110
Cheapest GeForce 4 Ti 4200 128MB: $140
Cheapest GeForce 4 Ti 4400: $188

That makes it quite clear, IMO: The GeForce 4 Ti 4200 is the best value, if you can get it around those prices. The Ti4400 is simply too expensive. The Radeon 9500 Pro, if you can't get the Ti4200 at those prices, is thus the best deal.

Should I have the choice between a Ti4200 128MB at $149 and a Radeon 9500 Pro at $179, I'd take the Radeon 9500 Pro. But IMO, the extra 64MB of the Ti4200 are useless ( 4X AA is overkill on it )
So, with a Ti4200 64MB at $125 and a Radeon 9500 Pro at $179, I'd take the Ti4200.

But then again, that's just my opinion.

Uttar
Old 12-28-02, 08:33 PM   #8
StealthHawk

Quote:
Originally posted by Uttar
Heck, it's mostly a few stupid trolls who quit after 2 weeks of being bashed. The problem being there are a LOT of them
the problem is that i don't think most of them DO quit

Old 12-29-02, 03:19 AM   #9
netape
High kicking sheznit

Quote:
Originally posted by StealthHawk
the problem is that i don't think most of them DO quit
*cough* ATi LoVeR 9700 *cough*
Old 12-29-02, 03:57 AM   #10
Uttar

I really think most of them quit.
The problem is that the most annoying ones often don't

Uttar
Old 12-29-02, 04:49 AM   #11
StealthHawk

Quote:
Originally posted by Uttar
The problem is that the most annoying ones often don't
true that. actually, you're probably right. there are a lot of one post wonder fanboys. but the big ones don't quit. they might just lay low before making their triumphant return.

and then we have the AMD/Intel fanboys
Old 12-29-02, 05:32 AM   #12
Kruno
TypeDef's assistant

Send a message via ICQ to Kruno Send a message via AIM to Kruno

Saturn called me a fanATIc.