Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-24-03, 11:31 AM   #1
spurnelle

Default NVDIA and console mode

I downloaded the latest kernel source, the compilation is correct and X mode work fine.
But when I switch to console, the text is unreadable.
beause the system don't switch to texte resolution.

Can anyone help me.
spurnelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-03, 06:13 PM   #2
bwkaz

Is your kernel using rivafb? Do a cat /proc/fb (AFAIK, this will work in X) to see the driver that's being used -- it should say "<some number> VESA VGA". If it says anything else, you very likely aren't using vesafb for the high-res text console (which isn't actually text mode, btw, it's a VESA standard mode with a BIOS font). vesafb is the only thing that will work with the nVidia X drivers.
Registered Linux User #219692
bwkaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-03, 06:14 AM   #3
spurnelle

Default NVIDIA and console

I don't have a RIVA TNT, I have a GEFORCE 4 MX 420. I don't have some data in /proc/fb
Old 01-25-03, 08:17 AM   #4
bwkaz

Right, but rivafb is the only driver under "framebuffer console" that has anything to do with nVidia, so a lot of people choose it as their console driver. Then they have problems with X.

If /proc/fb is empty, then are you even using a high-res console? Mine, for example, is 160x64 characters -- if yours is just 80x25, then it is indeed just normal text mode, and ignore what I've been saying.

Which distro is this, btw?
Old 01-25-03, 04:49 PM   #5
bimbo00

Default same problem

I'm havin' the same problem described above.
My distro is Mandrake 9.0 (installed last night).
When I was using the vesa drivers for my X windows everything worked(well, not exactly I couldn't use the acceleration of my GeForce4 = couldn't play TUX )
I tried using my CRT monitor(usually I use an LCD) and it didn't work with it either.
oh and my proc/fb :
before restarting with the new drivers
0 VESA VGA
now, after restarting the PC the /proc/fb is just EMPTY :
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 Jan 25 17:46 fb

well that's it if you need more info just ask.

regards,
BimBo
bimbo00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-03, 04:42 AM   #6
spurnelle

Default NVIDIA and console

My distro is RedHat 8.0 and console run with 80x25 text mode. Actually, I use the Xfree86 nvidia driver GEFORCE 4 generic (vesa) and when use CTRL-ALT-F1, the system change correctly the mode.
Old 01-26-03, 11:18 AM   #7
bimbo00

Default well yeah

Well, my console worked when my computer was set exactly as yours
my console worked perfectly until installing the nVidia driver for the GeForce. Now with the driver it doesn't after starting X-Windows.
My computer boot in init 3 and the console works( it's not 80x25)
then after logging in and typing startx , X-Windows loads but the console is not accessable anymore. Exiting X-Windows doesn't fix the problem. I can still blindly type startx to get back to X-Windows.
Old 01-26-03, 12:41 PM   #8
bwkaz

Does blindly doing a reset help at all? I've noticed that that will sometimes help after dumping an object file to the terminal, which screws up the character set in some cases, so that the prompt is made up of ASCII graphics characters rather than the normal "[user@host directory]$ " string. Running reset fixes this (well... the majority of the time anyway), so it is remotely possible that it might maybe help with your problem.

I don't know, it's just a guess.

I don't have any other ideas either, unfortunately...

Old 01-26-03, 01:13 PM   #9
Mirror176

Send a message via ICQ to Mirror176 Send a message via AIM to Mirror176 Send a message via Yahoo to Mirror176

sounds like im in the same boat as u guys for the nost part. my unique variation is that i cannot see my console view at all becusse my nec multisync fe771sb monitor reports the frequency as out of range. as mentioned before by others, i can type startx to get back to a viewable screen if i exited it, or switch back to virtual terminal 7 where the xconsole resides if i didnt close it. rebooting also works. i havent tested much more because there isnt much ive wanted to do wothout seeing what im doing. im using slackware 8.1. i thought the previous version of the drivers worked ok so ill probably try going back to them when i get back to linux. in the meantime i have a bit of corruption in my partition table that needs correcting first.
Mirror176 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-03, 01:14 PM   #10
Mirror176

Send a message via ICQ to Mirror176 Send a message via AIM to Mirror176 Send a message via Yahoo to Mirror176

oh yea, my console is not a framebuffer, but rather the default fast and low res setting
Mirror176 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-03, 01:57 PM   #11
bimbo00

haha
well I have Samsung SyncMaster 171s(LCD) and that's exactly what it does And yeah I cannot see my console at all
Old 01-27-03, 02:17 PM   #12
Zippo

Well... exactly the same problem. I have a Geforce4 MX440 and a Sony E200 monitor. Once I've started the X (which runs perfectly), I can't use the console (alt-F1, etc) anymore, although I can switch back to X graphic mode. It's impossible to use the virtual consoles because the screen is totaly blank. The monitor itself displays an error "out of scaning range". Should I change some configuration in XConfig or should I ask for support of nvidia people ?? Any suggestions ?
Zippo is offline   Reply With Quote