Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-05-03, 12:15 PM   #1
spiegl

Question reproducible Xserver Freeze with v4191

Hi! I've got a "Nvidia TNT2 M64 rev 21" and installed the latest 4191 drivers with Debians xserver-xfree86 (v4.1.0-16). Works like a charm. Thanks, guys!

Just one anoying problem: every once in a while the XServer FREEZES completely (mouse still moving!) and its process uses up 100% of the CPU. I have to log in from another machine and kill the process. Afterwards everything is fine except for a messy text console.

But the annoying part is that of course all my programs are terminated so that I have to start all over. So I live in constant fear of a sudden crash. :-(

Yesterday I found a _reproducible_ way to cause the crash. Whenever I surf to http://uschi.spiegl.de/ (sorry, this is with NO intention to promote this site. :-) Doesn't contain hardly anything anyway) with mozilla or konqueror -> FREEZE. With Opera however, everything is fine.

Anyone have any idea what's going on?
Or how I can avoid this?
Thanks so much!
Andy.

PS: I am currently using "NvAGP", but had tried AGPGART before.

My output of lspci:
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corp. 82845 845 (Brookdale) Chipset Host Bridge (rev 11)
00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corp. 82845 845 (Brookdale) Chipset AGP Bridge (rev 11)
00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corp.: Unknown device 24c2 (rev 01)
00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corp.: Unknown device 24c4 (rev 01)
00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corp.: Unknown device 24c7 (rev 01)
00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corp.: Unknown device 24cd (rev 01)
00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corp. 82820 820 (Camino 2) Chipset PCI (rev 81)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corp.: Unknown device 24c0 (rev 01)
00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corp.: Unknown device 24cb (rev 01)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation Vanta [NV6] (rev 15)
02:03.0 Multimedia audio controller: C-Media Electronics Inc CM8738 (rev 10)
02:04.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): NEC Corporation: Unknown device 00f2 (rev 01)
02:08.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corp.: Unknown device 1039 (rev 81)
02:0e.0 Multimedia video controller: Brooktree Corporation Bt878 (rev 02)
02:0e.1 Multimedia controller: Brooktree Corporation Bt878 (rev 02)
spiegl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-03, 05:34 AM   #2
LordMorgul
Electrical Engineer

The fact that your mouse is still able to move indicates to me that the video hardware is not to blame, especially if you have hardware mouse rendering enabled. Typically when you have video drivers/hardware issues you see odd things on the screen rather than simply 'locking' all drawing excluding the mouse.

This is likely a software problem, potentially a conflict with other running software. Websurfing with mozilla or konquerer causes a crash, but NOT opera? That is interesting. I have no clue what the problem is.. but I'd start with upgrading my software one piece at a time, paying special attention to check the results after any major upgrade.. i.e. XFree86 up to 4.2.0, mozilla up to 1.2.x, etc. Chasing down conflicts such as that with older versions of these apps is going to be painful. Its either that or backtraces and debuggers...

Remove ALL plugins that your browsers might be fetching! Plugins while neat are evil as well. Put them back when it works.

[edit]
Since that particular site includes quicktime video I wonder if you are opening/viewing them or simply navigating the opening page? Those evil plugins...
[/edit]

Last edited by LordMorgul; 02-06-03 at 05:40 AM.
LordMorgul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-03, 08:11 AM   #3
Geoff

Question

I have been having a problem like this for quite some time, although I have not found a way to reproduce it successfully, I will try the webpage above later when I get back to the machine.

There does not seem to be any pattern, it could freeze when doing a cut & paste, using the wheelmouse, moving a window, or even sometimes just when the screensaver is running.

Logging in from another machine and running 'top', shows that X is using over 98% CPU, and attempting to kill X results in the machine completely locking up and the ssh connection is broken. Eventually, the machine will lock hard without killing X, as this has happened overnight on a couple of occasions and I find the machine locked solid in the morning.

The mouse still moves, so I can accept that it is not a hardware issue (my card is a GeForce2 MX 400) but the lockups only occur when I have installed the NVDriver module (currently 3123, but it has done this with every version I have tried up to now) and use the 'nvidia' driver. The 'nv' driver with XFree86 does not give any problems.

I am running Gentoo Linux on a 1.8GHz P4 with 512MB DDR RAM, and a VIA P4X266 chipset, but have seen this problem with both Mandrake 8.x and RedHat 7.x (can't remember the exact versions)

Nothing seems to get written to any log files indicating the error, and I am not sure where to start trying to trace the actual cause.

I've been scouring the 'net to see if I can find someone who has figured this out, and I have found a few instances of others describing a similar problem, but no answers...

It's got me baffled...
Geoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-03, 03:36 PM   #4
spiegl

Cool

Whoohoo, I updated Mozilla to v1.2 and now X doesn't hang anymore on websites with very wide pictures. What a relief!

BUT this doesn't mean that there is no problem with the Nvidia Xserver anymore. I am sure there is! Just that the new mozilla doesn't trigger it anymore.

Anyone knows if Nvidia is investigating these kinds of bugs?

If you have similar problems, please post them here with many details so that Nvidia sees that there is need for a fix.
Old 02-22-03, 10:53 AM   #5
jherb

Default System reproducable hangs when accessing certain website with mozilla

When accessing the site www.sem-muenchen.de with mozilla the system hangs. All details can be found at http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=193780

When turning the nvidia driver of, everything works fine.
jherb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-03, 11:18 AM   #6
bwkaz

Works for me, build ID 2003020921 (which was a CVS pull of Mozilla on Feb. 9, 2003, at around 9 pm local time -- I'm in the Eastern timezone).

But then, I'm not using 4191. Is the bug reproducible with 3123 on your system?
Registered Linux User #219692
bwkaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-03, 11:39 AM   #7
jherb

No problems with driver 3123.

Thanx.
Old 02-22-03, 03:15 PM   #8
Andy Mecham
l33t master

Yes, we're interested in bugs like this. Please send machine details and repro steps to linux-bugs@nvidia.com. If you've managed to regress this across Mozilla/NVIDIA driver/X/Window manager versions, that would be really helpful to know.

--andy

Old 02-25-03, 05:16 PM   #9
spiegl

Both sites (www.sem-muenchen.de and http://uschi.spiegl.de/) include very large pictures. That should be an important evidence!

I suppose that it has something to do with memory allocation routines.

Andy, I already posted my repro steps in this thread. If you need any other info please don't hesitate to ask.
Andy.
Old 02-27-03, 09:03 PM   #10
spiegl

Angry And again!

Oh no, and it happened again!!! Reproducible again!

This time I was using qiv (http://www.klografx.net/qiv) to look at a JPG image
(I just put it there for you to try: http://spiegl.de/andy/large_image.jpg but it works with every large picture!)

I switched to full screen mode ("f") and scrolled around a bit with the cursor keys. And soon everything froze. :-(

I had to log in from my laptop and kill the Xserver which was using up 99% of the cpu.

I am still using "NVIDIA XFree86 Driver 1.0-4191", NvAGP, and the latest Xserver from Debian (stable branch) which is 4.1.0-16

What other information do you need?
I've uploaded my XFree86.0.log, too:
http://spiegl.de/andy/XFree86.0.log

Hope you can track down now this nasty little bug because it's really annoying having to kill and restart everything :-((

Thanks,
Andy.
Old 04-06-03, 04:44 PM   #11
jherb

Works for me

with NVIDIA 4349 and Mozilla 1.4a
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.4a) Gecko/20030402
Old 04-18-03, 07:47 PM   #12
meldroc

spiegl, I have the exact same problem that you have. It started when I upgraded my NVidia Linux drivers to 4191, and the problem still occurs in 4349.

In a nutshell, when I visit a web page with a very large image, XFree86 locks up, with applications unresponsive, keyboard unresponsive, but mouse cursor still working. I have to find another machine and use it to ssh into mine and kill X, which brings the system out of catatonia, but mangles the text console. If I restart X, the screen comes back fine. I tried the same web pages using the nv driver instead of the cool nvidia driver, and this problem did not occur.

Here's some info:

System: 650MHz Athlon, Asus motherboard, 384MB RAM, Nvidia TNT2 M64 rev 21 video card (identical to spiegl's)

Currently running Debian Unstable (Sid) using it's XFree86 (version 4.2.1) and KDE for the most part, though I use Mozilla and have encountered these lockups in Mozilla and Konqueror.

The last time I had this problem was at this Ars OpenForum thread (Linux desktop screenshots.) This entire thread is full of very large images, which have triggered this problem multiple times for me.

I'm emailing the NVidia bugs people details.
meldroc is offline   Reply With Quote