Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA GeForce 7, 8, And 9 Series

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-13-03, 10:37 PM   #151
muzz

Ya right.....
Old 03-13-03, 11:47 PM   #152
ChrisW
"I was wrong", said Chris

First of all, blocking users does not work. You will usually see a post that says "this user has been blocked...etc", but the very next post usually is someone quoting that very same person! So you end up reading the post anyway.

Q: Has ATI, Matrox, or any other graphics card company sent you a review board with instructions on how to benchmark it?
ChrisW is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-14-03, 07:56 AM   #153
PreservedSwine
I'm always hungry

Anyone see the Digit Life review..man, that thing is awfull.....
Very difficult to interpret the graphs...reminds me of the scene in the abyss where they tell the guy to cut the blue wire with the yellow stripe, not the yellow wire w/ the blue stripe..

*guy with snips looking at two identical looking wires*

It's just plain ridiculous to compare two cards at entirely different quality settings...I don't care that it differs internally, but the IQ is just so much worse on the FX "aggressive setting"

just my .00000000000000000000000000000000000002
PreservedSwine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-03, 11:58 AM   #154
John Reynolds

Default Re: excelent review of the Geoforcefx ti5200/5600

Quote:
Originally posted by Nv40
here...

http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/gffx/nv31-nv34.html

as expected the technical guys at Digit-life .
with no flames and just simply showing the facts.
I don't read Digit-life reviews anymore. Why? Too many factual mistakes in their articles for my taste.
John Reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-03, 12:10 PM   #155
Solomon

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisW
Q: Has ATI, Matrox, or any other graphics card company sent you a review board with instructions on how to benchmark it?
Sadly, yes they have ChrisW. I'm not sure if the public is aware of this or not, but each company has .pdf files of "How to review our product" on their private website or specifically linked files on their parent site. They tell you to download it and view it accordingly too. When I did a review a long time ago (I haven't done one in a long time, very very time consuming). They tell you to use this and that programs to benchmark with and the majority are available on their website to download.

So if you are wondering why so many reviews look similiar in the programs they test is usually it's on the .pdf file they tell you to download and overlook when writing the review. I know that one of the companies you mentioned on the top specifically give you instructions on how to go about testing their products.

Regards,
D. Solomon Jr.
*********.com
Solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-03, 12:26 PM   #156
John Reynolds

I just actually forced myself to read that Digit-life article. Unbelievable how unfair their test standards were at times. They actually compare performance scores of Nvidia cards running 8x Aggressive AF against a Radeon running 16x Quality AF. Unreal.

NV40, how would you react if Digit-life were to compare scores of Ut2003 at 640x480x32 against 10x7x32, in favor of the Radeon board? That would be pretty obviously dumb, right? So what's different from such radically different texture filtering settings?
Old 03-14-03, 12:42 PM   #157
kyleb

well John, the difference is that the texture settings show nvidias products in a better light; duh!

kyleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-03, 12:48 PM   #158
muzz

What did you say kyleb?
Did you say less lighting?

Old 03-14-03, 10:28 PM   #159
FrgMstr

Quote:
Originally posted by ClyssaN
I think hardocp ask nvnews not to link news to their page, i'm probably mistaken.
I asked them not to link our news stories that we post on our front page if they were basically going to copy and paste them in their entirety.
Old 03-14-03, 10:47 PM   #160
ChrisRay

Well that answers that.
ChrisRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-03, 10:48 PM   #161
Hellbinder

They supposedly justify their bull**** with this statement close to the conclusion..
Quote:
as you know, ATI's fans have to put up with the fact that anisotropy doesn't work to its full capacity at all angles in case of RADEON 9500/9700).
Which is just BS. Also reveals a complete lack of understanding where Anistopy occurs.
1Gig DDR-400
60Gig 7200RPM HD
Radeon 9600M Turbo 128 (400/250)
Catalyst 4.2
Latest good read. [url]http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NTc4LDE=http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NTc4LDE=[/url]
Hellbinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-03, 11:00 PM   #162
GlowStick
CoD4!

Send a message via AIM to GlowStick

Quote:
Originally posted by Hellbinder
They supposedly justify their bull**** with this statement close to the conclusion..

Which is just BS. Also reveals a complete lack of understanding where Anistopy occurs.
wtf

what broght this up?
GlowStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-03, 12:00 AM   #163
Sean P.
www.pcper.com

Send a message via ICQ to Sean P.

Yes...I know I am an absolute hypocrite for posting here again ( after stating that I would be leaving here for good ). However, I feel as though I can add some insight to one of the issues at hand here.

Quote:
Originally posted by ClyssaN
I think hardocp ask nvnews not to link news to their page, i'm probably mistaken.
Actually, the entire reason I left revolved around nV News not posting an NVIDIA-related news story I sent them from HardOCP. Though my reviews at HardOCP were linked a few times, one day Mike decided that a quick mention in the General Hardware forum was enough attention for my next review and it did not get linked. As you might imagine, the amount of people seeing it on the front page grossly outweighs the number of people who would see the quick post in that specific forum. Regardless, it is a thing of the past and we have all moved on...

While I'm here, I just wanted to thank those who provided feedback ( positive and negative ) regarding the review. Furthermore, I'd like to thank all of those who have been keeping in touch with me via email ( pelly@hardocp.com ). I appreciate all of your comments and input and will keep doing my best to give you all solid and unbiased reviews.

Take care guys...

www.pcper.com
Sean P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-03, 01:26 AM   #164
Kruno
TypeDef's assistant

Send a message via ICQ to Kruno Send a message via AIM to Kruno

Hypocrite.

Sorry, someone had to say it.

I love your review. I also love you.

Old 03-15-03, 01:27 AM   #165
Clockwork
I was cured all right...

Quote:
Originally posted by Hellbinder

I second GlowSticks statement...

WTF brought this up? Hellbinder, I think you are a great guy, but you must be terminally pissed off all the time.

| AMD Athlon 64 3500+ | 1GB Corsair XMS Extreme Memory PC3200 DDR | GIGABYTE GA-K8NSNXP-939 nForce3 Ultra | WD 120GB SATA | BFG 6800GT OC w/ Zalman VF700cu | Pioneer DVR-A07XLA 8x DVD+-R/RW | Aopen 1640Pro-A 16x DVD | Cooler Master Cavalier 1 CAV-T01-WWA case | Ultra X-Connect 500watt psu | Windows XP Professional w/ SP2 |Samsung 193p+ 19" LCD
Clockwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-03, 01:47 AM   #166
digitalwanderer

Question Hubba-wuu?

Quote:
Originally posted by Sean P.
As you might imagine, the amount of people seeing it on the front page grossly outweighs the number of people who would see the quick post in that specific forum.

nVnews has a front page?
[SIZE=1][I]"It was very important to us that NVIDIA did not know exactly where to aim. As a result they seem to have over-engineered in some aspects creating a power-hungry monster which is going to be very expensive for them to manufacture. We have a beautifully balanced piece of hardware that beats them on pure performance, cost, scalability, future mobile relevance, etc. That's all because they didn't know what to aim at."
-R.Huddy[/I] [/SIZE]
digitalwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-03, 08:26 AM   #167
John Reynolds

Quote:
Originally posted by GlowStick
wtf

what broght this up?
I assume he's referring to the Digit-Life article.
Old 03-15-03, 10:41 AM   #168
volt

Default Re: Hubba-wuu?

Quote:
Originally posted by digitalwanderer
nVnews has a front page?
You know it does, you even thanked us for posting mirrors of ATI drivers.
[b]Optimization guidelines by Koji Ashida of NVIDIA:[/b][list][*]Use fx12 instructions whenever possible[*]Use lowest pixel shader version[/list][url=http://developer.nvidia.com/docs/IO/10878/ChinaJoy2004_OptimizationAndTools.pdf]source[/url]

[size=1]The politics are invading the technology. We don't really like to mess with politics because that kind of adversarial relationship has nothing to do with pure technical operations and the technical specifications of what we like to play with, the hardware![/size]
volt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-03, 11:50 AM   #169
John Reynolds

Default Re: Re: Hubba-wuu?

Quote:
Originally posted by volt
When people write that they're usually joking that they just hit the board and probably have it linked in their favorites instead of the front page.
Old 03-15-03, 11:57 AM   #170
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

Quote:
Originally posted by FrgMstr
I asked them not to link our news stories that we post on our front page if they were basically going to copy and paste them in their entirety.
well kyle.. I woulda thought that newsposters are allowed to copy/paste a certain segment and then provide direct link to the story on the website that published it...

so what was going on? no linking ? I can't imagine why any newsposter would not link to the source... that is unethical and I have seen links to articles here everytime I have read... perhaps not like on some other websites... but it is linked...

just seems unfortunate that sean's obvious hard work is not shown... but if there are valid reasons... oh well... I will rest happy in the fact that I had the opportunity to see the review...

g.j..
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-03, 12:13 PM   #171
digitalwanderer

Default Re: Re: Hubba-wuu?

Quote:
Originally posted by volt
Sorry, it's a trademark running joke of mine that I still find endlessly amusing no matter how old it gets. John R. got the right of it, I was just teasing.
[SIZE=1][I]"It was very important to us that NVIDIA did not know exactly where to aim. As a result they seem to have over-engineered in some aspects creating a power-hungry monster which is going to be very expensive for them to manufacture. We have a beautifully balanced piece of hardware that beats them on pure performance, cost, scalability, future mobile relevance, etc. That's all because they didn't know what to aim at."
-R.Huddy[/I] [/SIZE]
Old 03-15-03, 12:32 PM   #172
Sean P.
www.pcper.com

Send a message via ICQ to Sean P.

Quote:
Originally posted by Sazar
I woulda thought that newsposters are allowed to copy/paste a certain segment
You are correct with your assumption Sazar. However, the key word in your comment is segment. There have been a few instances ( which Kyle is referring to ) where the "bulk" of the article's content has been posted. As a result, the reader has little reason to follow the link. That is why most websites choose a sentence or two to catch the reader's attention when they post news, leaving the reader to follow the link if they want more information.

Just thought I should clear that up...
www.pcper.com
Sean P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-03, 01:13 PM   #173
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Sean P.
You are correct with your assumption Sazar. However, the key word in your comment is segment. There have been a few instances ( which Kyle is referring to ) where the "bulk" of the article's content has been posted. As a result, the reader has little reason to follow the link. That is why most websites choose a sentence or two to catch the reader's attention when they post news, leaving the reader to follow the link if they want more information.

Just thought I should clear that up...
ok... I did not get that part... and yes that would certainly be a big no-no when it comes to linking... keeping hits local is not really 'kewl'... so I get it....

the 'extended' news submission has never been a big fan of mine when I submit news... and yes... I did hot link to your article by taking the first paragraph or two... and then linking when I submitted the news on another website.....
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-03, 02:23 PM   #174
digitalwanderer

Default OMFG!!

You ever have one of your worst nightmares happen?

I think my boss LIKES the new FX cards........

(Ok, so it's a bit of a shameless site pimp. I don't do it very often, and it is pertinant.)
-R.Huddy[/I] [/SIZE]
Old 03-16-03, 02:25 PM   #175
GlowStick
CoD4!

Send a message via AIM to GlowStick

Im a bit confused.
GlowStick is offline   Reply With Quote