Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA Windows Graphics Drivers

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-12-03, 06:49 PM   #1
dohcmark8

Default nvidia cheating in 42.72?

What happened to that thread which had info about a guy who talked to nvidia and said that they optimized the drivers to prove a point with the community, anyone have any links to this, or any articles with nvidia admitting this?.
dohcmark8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-03, 08:36 PM   #2
GlowStick
CoD4!

Send a message via AIM to GlowStick

Well i belvie what u were talking about is 42.62, but optmizing drivers for SPECIFIC games has already been proven can be done many times in the past.

the new 42.72 could be the same..............

Basicly to sum it up ATI'ers say they are "hacked" and dont promote real world preofrmance...

Nvidia'ers say they are valid...
GlowStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-03, 09:00 PM   #3
Captain Beige

Quote:
Originally posted by GlowStick
Well i belvie what u were talking about is 42.62, but optmizing drivers for SPECIFIC games has already been proven can be done many times in the past.

the new 42.72 could be the same..............

Basicly to sum it up ATI'ers say they are "hacked" and dont promote real world preofrmance...

Nvidia'ers say they are valid...
"ATI'ers" say they are using FP16 which isn't DX9 compliant, therefore it's not running as a true DX9 card. they are correct.

"ATI'ers" say the 3dmark2003 benchmarks are invalid because the terms and conditions requires the use of WHQL certified DX9 drivers. they are correct.
Captain Beige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-03, 09:09 PM   #4
GlowStick
CoD4!

Quote:
Originally posted by Captain Beige
"ATI'ers" say they are using FP16 which isn't DX9 compliant, therefore it's not running as a true DX9 card. they are correct.

"ATI'ers" say the 3dmark2003 benchmarks are invalid because the terms and conditions requires the use of WHQL certified DX9 drivers. they are correct.
ATI'ers like to claim things with no backup, just take their word for it that it runs in FP16 ; D

ATI'ers say "DOOM 3 BENCHS DONT COUNT, THEY ARE BETA" yet they bash on beta nvidia drivers ; D
Old 03-12-03, 09:18 PM   #5
Joe DeFuria

Quote:
ATI'ers like to claim things with no backup, just take their word for it that it runs in FP16 ; D
No backup?

http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/viewto...=4791&start=60

Whetever the mystery "performance" drivers are doing (fp16 or even back down to integer), the result is that the image is NOT CORRECT. It lacks appropriate dynamic range.

Let's see:

1) Set of drivers that are mysteriously faster, and don't render things correctly

2) Set of drivers that are slower and does render things correctly.

Nah...nothing to back that up...

Quote:
ATI'ers say "DOOM 3 BENCHS DONT COUNT, THEY ARE BETA" yet they bash on beta nvidia drivers ; D
No, ATI's say Doom3 benches don't count because they are based on an engine build a YEAR OLD, PLUS Carmack himself puts the 9700 and FX about on par in a much more recent summation of performance.

Lol...and what's this talk of nVidia "beta drivers?" I thought nVida had the self-proclaimed and touted "best drivers in the world!" Surely, they can't be THIS BAD for a product that's actually shipping?

I recall that ATI had WHQL drivers from day one of their hardware release, and WHQL DX9 drivers the day that DX9 was released.

Where are the WHQL drivers for nVidia's cards, from the famous nVidia driver team?
Joe DeFuria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-03, 09:21 PM   #6
Hellbinder

Quote:
they bash on beta nvidia drivers
HA.. Beta Drivers my Booty...
1Gig DDR-400
60Gig 7200RPM HD
Radeon 9600M Turbo 128 (400/250)
Catalyst 4.2
Latest good read. [url]http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NTc4LDE=http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NTc4LDE=[/url]
Hellbinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-03, 09:30 PM   #7
GlowStick
CoD4!

Funny, when DX9 they didnt work with..... DX9 woohoo!

people were reverting to earlyer drivers to get things to work properly.

The 3.1 Cats (im not sure if they re whql) have problems in comachine with displaying textures. and on the 9700p decrease preformance. as documented on firingsquad.

OMG your right, on the beta Doom 3 it dose not count because its not officaly released. These non offical nvidia drivers IS NOT BETA, they just are in Beta stage and are not supported by nvidia.

phew if there is one bug in the beta drivers im sure it gives right to pounce on it ; D
Old 03-12-03, 09:36 PM   #8
muzz

If they are NOT beta, and they are in beta stage and not supported by Nvidia.. then what are they?

I got it.. they are leaked .. HUH.....

Old 03-12-03, 09:43 PM   #9
ReDeeMeR
The Guy Next Door *wink*

Send a message via ICQ to ReDeeMeR

Well I guess Nvidias drivers arent any better then ATi's then
ReDeeMeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-03, 09:45 PM   #10
Moose
Cheating is for losers!!!

Quote:
Funny, when DX9 they didnt work with..... DX9 woohoo!

people were reverting to earlyer drivers to get things to work properly.

The 3.1 Cats (im not sure if they re whql) have problems in comachine with displaying textures. and on the 9700p decrease preformance. as documented on firingsquad.

OMG your right, on the beta Doom 3 it dose not count because its not officaly released. These non offical nvidia drivers IS NOT BETA, they just are in Beta stage and are not supported by nvidia.

phew if there is one bug in the beta drivers im sure it gives right to pounce on it ; D
This is NOT a bug.

Running at a lower level of FP precision to gain points in a benchmark and then directing reviewers to ONLY use those drivers is not a "mistake" in the drivers. It is flat out CHEATING!

For your information ATI now has 2 sets of WHQL DX9 drivers and the third will be released in the next week or so. (Cat 3.2)

That makes the score ATI-3 Nvidia-0 for those who are counting.
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-03, 10:14 PM   #11
GlowStick
CoD4!

Quote:
Originally posted by ReDeeMeR
Well I guess Nvidias drivers arent any better then ATi's then
Nvidias offical drivers are more stable and the have them for many OS's and a few archtextures.

Im sure they are WHQL certafied, as firiing squad said with the 3.1 WHQL CERTAFIED!!!! drivers OMG, preformance went down. Now i cant see textures on the airport hangers. but they are WHQL certafied so they MUST be quality.

But ATI only releases the BEST drivers so they must be right.

last i herd the 3.1's were offical : O
Old 03-12-03, 10:37 PM   #12
muzz

More os support I'll give you ( like I ALREADY have ), but for a few archtextures ? What does this mean here GS?

This is beginning to sound like the noise and IQ argument you put up right B4 the 9800pro previews.