Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA GeForce 7, 8, And 9 Series

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-30-03, 03:01 PM   #1
digitalwanderer

Question I'm getting a new viddy card, how is the Gainward GF4 ti4400 golden sample?

And for some weird reason this morning my head exploded when I saw a visiontek GF4 ti4200 for $90us in [H]'s "for sale" forum and posted for it, and while cruising later I happend across the Gainward 4400 GS on Futuremark for $100 and figure that sounds a bit nicer.

After a bit of confusion, I retract me offer for the visiontek (he was trying to decide if he wanted to sell it or not, I decided I didn't want it and made it easy ) and get the gainward.

I'm looking at some reviews, and is there any other Gainward GF4 ti4400 Golden Sample other than the Ultra\700XP? If not, I am EXTREMELY excited!
[SIZE=1][I]"It was very important to us that NVIDIA did not know exactly where to aim. As a result they seem to have over-engineered in some aspects creating a power-hungry monster which is going to be very expensive for them to manufacture. We have a beautifully balanced piece of hardware that beats them on pure performance, cost, scalability, future mobile relevance, etc. That's all because they didn't know what to aim at."
-R.Huddy[/I] [/SIZE]
digitalwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-03, 04:37 PM   #2
ChrisRay

You better be careful before I go and tell everyone on the rage3d site your dirty little secret
|CPU: Intel I7 Lynnfield @ 3.0 Ghz|Mobo:Asus P7P55 WS Supercomputer |Memory:8 Gigs DDR3 1333|Video:Geforce GTX 295 Quad SLI|Monitor:Samsung Syncmaster 1680x1080 3D Vision\/Olevia 27 Inch Widescreen HDTV 1920x1080

|CPU: AMD Phenom 9600 Black Edition @ 2.5 Ghz|Mobo:Asus M3n HT Deluxe Nforce 780A|Memory: 4 gigs DDR2 800| Video: Geforce GTX 280x2 SLI

Nzone
SLI Forum Administrator

NVIDIA User Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the members
ChrisRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-03, 05:13 PM   #3
Grrrpoop
Wey aye man!

Default BURN THE HERETIC!!!

JK

I came this >.< close to getting a Ti4200 a coupla months back after trying my dads Ti4200 in my system.. so sweet compared to my sh*tty GF2mx

The Gainward 4400 GS should get to 4600 speeds I think.. same pcb/mem as the 4600, just clocked lower IIRC.. good card!

I doubt anyone at Rage3D would really have a go.. after all, even the great Hellbinder has owned a Ti4200 at one point

Anyway, enjoy
Old 03-30-03, 05:23 PM   #4
digitalwanderer

The folks at R3D who have a problem with it can kiss me ruddy bum. There's no way I'm gonna be able to pick up at 9500 Pro or better for $100 or anywhere NEAR there for a while to come yet, and anything less than that is just a waste of money on the ATI side of things IMHO. (I have an 8500, I'm not impressed. )

They won't be surprised, they know what a cheap bastard I am and how I just can't pass up a good bargain.

There is just something that goes all squirrly in me brain when I can get a better viddy card than the best I currently got for $100, it's like a magic pricepoint for me. I know the GF4 is superior to the GF3 from a brief stint I had with a GF4 ti4200, and this particular GF4 is starting to look real schweet to me.

I really ain't brand loyal, I'm just a quality/bargain hunter from hell.
[SIZE=1][I]"It was very important to us that NVIDIA did not know exactly where to aim. As a result they seem to have over-engineered in some aspects creating a power-hungry monster which is going to be very expensive for them to manufacture. We have a beautifully balanced piece of hardware that beats them on pure performance, cost, scalability, future mobile relevance, etc. That's all because they didn't know what to aim at."
-R.Huddy[/I] [/SIZE]
Old 03-30-03, 05:40 PM   #5
ChrisRay

Woah digital I was kidding. :P

I think you will be fairly satisfied with the card itself. But I think the Anistropic Filtering performance will leave a little to be desired
|CPU: Intel I7 Lynnfield @ 3.0 Ghz|Mobo:Asus P7P55 WS Supercomputer |Memory:8 Gigs DDR3 1333|Video:Geforce GTX 295 Quad SLI|Monitor:Samsung Syncmaster 1680x1080 3D Vision\/Olevia 27 Inch Widescreen HDTV 1920x1080

|CPU: AMD Phenom 9600 Black Edition @ 2.5 Ghz|Mobo:Asus M3n HT Deluxe Nforce 780A|Memory: 4 gigs DDR2 800| Video: Geforce GTX 280x2 SLI

Nzone
SLI Forum Administrator

NVIDIA User Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the members
Old 03-30-03, 06:53 PM   #6
digitalwanderer

It's better than my current vanilla GF3's, ain't it?
-R.Huddy[/I] [/SIZE]
Old 03-30-03, 07:56 PM   #7
walkndude

Were you hiding in a cave last week ? Best buy(love'm or hate'm)
were selling pny 4200's for 80 bones.

There is a 9 page thread at H's video card card forum...
Old 03-30-03, 09:52 PM   #8
ChrisRay

I am curious, what are you not satisfied with on the Radeon 8500?

My only thing about Geforce 4 cards is the AF, If you dig AA than Geforce 4 is definately a step up. But if you dig AF its a step down.

Its one of those can't get somethen for nothing scenerios.

Btw I think both are great cards, But I wonder if you'll be happy with the performance increase, Going from a DX 8.0 card to a DX 8.0 card

Nzone
SLI Forum Administrator

Old 03-30-03, 10:53 PM   #9
digitalwanderer

Quote:
Originally posted by walkndude
Were you hiding in a cave last week ? Best buy(love'm or hate'm)
were selling pny 4200's for 80 bones.

I HATE 'em!!! Hate 'em with a vicious passion that borders on downright loathing.

BestBuy would pretty much have to be giving them away to get me to go there again, and it would have to be an in-store rebate deal.

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisRay
I am curious, what are you not satisfied with on the Radeon 8500?
Well, nothing against it as I'm using it to type this on Blue and all...I just don't like how it games. It was designed/produced just as ATI was going about transforming themselves, and it shows it in good and bad ways.

The good is it that games it plays, it plays WELL! The AA & AF is sweet, but the "no trilinear with AF" is a deal breaker for me as I can't stand mipmap lines. The other biggy for me was GTA3, well not just GTA3 but it's the best example. When it had trouble running a game, it had TROUBLE!

I got tired of monkeying with it and put littleZ (my GF3, long story ) back in my gaming rig and haven't regretted it since. I swap the 8500 & GF3 around every now and again when I'm bored or there's some exciting new driver set, but I always jump back to my GF3 after just a few headaches.

Besides, my GF3 is smoother in games no matter what the FPS say. An entirely subjective opinion I know, but it's which one I like better anyways.

But the GF3 has some troubles with stuff like Unreal2, and after playing with a 9500 Pro for a while I'm just totally spoiled and need something better. I got to play with a GF4 for a little while a bit ago, but not long enough as I was just getting emotionally attached to it when I had to let it go. ("sniff-sniff")

I'll be able to pick up a 9700 Pro for a good price in a couple of three, four months. This will tide me over nicely 'til then.

BTW- I'm not upgrading from a 8500, I'm upgrading from a visiontek GF3 (240/530)
-R.Huddy[/I] [/SIZE]
Old 03-30-03, 10:59 PM   #10
ChrisRay

Quote:
Originally posted by digitalwanderer
I HATE 'em!!! Hate 'em with a vicious passion that borders on downright loathing.

BestBuy would pretty much have to be giving them away to get me to go there again, and it would have to be an in-store rebate deal.

Well, nothing against it as I'm using it to type this on Blue and all...I just don't like how it games. It was designed/produced just as ATI was going about transforming themselves, and it shows it in good and bad ways.

The good is it that games it plays, it plays WELL! The AA & AF is sweet, but the "no trilinear with AF" is a deal breaker for me as I can't stand mipmap lines. The other biggy for me was GTA3, well not just GTA3 but it's the best example. When it had trouble running a game, it had TROUBLE!

I got tired of monkeying with it and put littleZ (my GF3, long story ) back in my gaming rig and haven't regretted it since. I swap the 8500 & GF3 around every now and again when I'm bored or there's some exciting new driver set, but I always jump back to my GF3 after just a few headaches.

Besides, my GF3 is smoother in games no matter what the FPS say. An entirely subjective opinion I know, but it's which one I like better anyways.

But the GF3 has some troubles with stuff like Unreal2, and after playing with a 9500 Pro for a while I'm just totally spoiled and need something better. I got to play with a GF4 for a little while a bit ago, but not long enough as I was just getting emotionally attached to it when I had to let it go. ("sniff-sniff")

I'll be able to pick up a 9700 Pro for a good price in a couple of three, four months. This will tide me over nicely 'til then.

BTW- I'm not upgrading from a 8500, I'm upgrading from a visiontek GF3 (240/530)
Ha well geforce 4 Ti cards aren't bad at all.

Its kinda funny how you like Trillinear Anistropic Filtering. I'm always in Performance Anistropic Filtering mode (Billinear) and it just doesn't bother me at all

The Geforc4 4 Ti 4400 will be good for unreal. You should be able to do Quincunx AA and 4x Anistropic Filtering easy, Tho if you want any tricks on how to optimise it. You can get like a 35% performance increase by playing with your anistropic Filtering settings in Riva Tuner

But Man I wish I had the money to buy a card every few months. I generally upgrade every 9 months or so. I simply cannot keep up with 6 month product cycles.

Tho I will be Buying a Geforce FX 5200 PCI card for my wittle E-machine Celeron compooter :P

Nzone
SLI Forum Administrator

Old 03-31-03, 06:40 AM   #11
digitalwanderer

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisRay
But Man I wish I had the money to buy a card every few months. I generally upgrade every 9 months or so. I simply cannot keep up with 6 month product cycles.
The only way I can justify/afford it is to have 3 PCs that can use 'em and to wait until they cost around $100us. I can't really afford it, I shouldn't have bought it; but I'm darned happy about it.

Quote:
Tho I will be Buying a Geforce FX 5200 PCI card for my wittle E-machine Celeron compooter :P
I'm seriously thinking about one of those for my daughter's Pink 'puter....
-R.Huddy[/I] [/SIZE]
Old 03-31-03, 10:04 AM   #12
ChrisRay

Quote:
I'm seriously thinking about one of those for my daughter's Pink 'puter....
Well I am sure it'll out class my Geforce 2 MX 200 PCI card And it will at least allow me to put a little money towards Nvidias side to keep them afloat :P

Nzone
SLI Forum Administrator