Old 03-11-10, 06:20 AM   #157
Iruwen

Thumbs up Re: Nvidia may be in trouble according to this article

Iruwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-10, 12:58 AM   #158
noko
noko

Default Re: Nvidia may be in trouble according to this article

Nvidia has indeed branched out enough to buffer any one area failings I think. Tesla looks very strong. GPUPU also is there with Nvidia superior software support as in Cuda. If Fermi doesn't hit well with the gaming market doesn't mean Fermi won't take the GPUPU arena by storm. I do believe ATI from a destop computer standpoint and mobile standpoint has a better line overall for most folks, something for Nvidia to get better at. Now of course for some Nvidia is the better answer for gaming but this time around I think ATI from bottom to top has the advantage in the market.

Foxconn 780G, Athlon64 X2 5600 @ 3ghz, Mushkin 4gb DDR 800 OCZ 2x2gb , eVga 260 GTX. 17" MagAcer LCD, 120gb Vista 32
noko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-10, 03:45 AM   #159
Iruwen

AMD also offers better gaming CPUs considering their price, this doesn't harm Intel in any way though.
Old 03-16-10, 12:45 PM   #160
Dogmifier

I would disagree that ATi has better choices for consumers, to be blunt.

It depends on the application and the user involved. Both companies have great offerings,
and not everyone wants top of the line gaming graphics.

I'll *NEVER* buy ATi. I just don't trust them. I've never had a problem with NV, though.
The loss of a few frames per second really don't mean much to me when it comes to
the trust I have for NV and the distrust I have of ATi.

That's not to say that ATi is bad, for those of you who are looking for a new graphics card.
It's simply my position and feelings on the subject. Take it as you will. I'm quite sure they've
come a long way from the last time I tried ATi.

As far as AMD offering better gaming CPU's, again it's a matter of opinion/likes/dislikes.
I'm loving the Nehalem's. They're beasts.
Dogmifier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-10, 07:07 AM   #161
Iruwen

I have a Core i7 system too, but I wouldn't advice anybody to get one just for gaming
Old 03-17-10, 08:44 AM   #162
Yaboze

I would buy an AMD GPU, MB or CPU, but right now the i7 is king. I got a i7 920 for $199 and it's great. I still like AMD. The only Nvidia product I'd ever buy was a GPU. I had a Nforce 4 MB and it was horrible. Lots of problems. I think their own chipsets are fail. Of course SLI is great and it rocks that it's in the X58, but beyond that, I don't really see Nvidia doing anything else but GPU cards and GPU's for laptops/mobile devices. I guess their laptop chipset is good, I think Apple is using a variant of that.

I'm leaning towards a 5970 as my next card to replace my 285, which is still a decent performer.
Yaboze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-10, 10:33 PM   #163
Rollo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaboze View Post
I would buy an AMD GPU, MB or CPU, but right now the i7 is king. I got a i7 920 for $199 and it's great. I still like AMD. The only Nvidia product I'd ever buy was a GPU. I had a Nforce 4 MB and it was horrible. Lots of problems. I think their own chipsets are fail. Of course SLI is great and it rocks that it's in the X58, but beyond that, I don't really see Nvidia doing anything else but GPU cards and GPU's for laptops/mobile devices. I guess their laptop chipset is good, I think Apple is using a variant of that.

I'm leaning towards a 5970 as my next card to replace my 285, which is still a decent performer.
IDK, I loved my NForce motherboards. I never had the problems others did, bit I think it's because I don't OC CPUs in anyway other than bumping an unlocked multiplier on the cpu up a notch.

I think a lot of NVIDIA's problems with the NFORCEs came from they built their rep on being OCing motherboards, and when you jack up the fsb you add more fail points to the mix and increased chance for data handling errors.

Rig 2:
intel 2500K + NVIDIA GTX590 + Dell 3007 WFPHC

[SIZE="1"]NVIDIA Focus Group Member
[B]NVIDIA Focus Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the Members.[/B][/SIZE]
Rollo is offline   Reply With Quote