Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA Windows Graphics Drivers

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-05-10, 04:05 PM   #1
pkirby11

Send a message via AIM to pkirby11
Exclamation Serious 196.75 Graphics Driver Bug

I don't see this posted anywhere. If I'm wrong sorry but I think it's pretty serious. Engadget along with Blizzard are suggesting users uninstall the new 196.75 drives and revert back to the old version. Users playing World of Warcraft and Star Craft 2 beta have reports slow FPS and the result seems to be a bug with the automatic fan control. Just letting you guys know just in case, don't want anyone to fry their cards.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/05/n...-graphics-car/

PSN: pkirby11
pkirby11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-10, 04:20 PM   #2
Revs

Default Re: Forceware 196.75 Bug

Seems it's limited to G92's with custom coolers...

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=148590
Revs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-10, 04:34 PM   #3
Rollo

Default Re: Forceware 196.75 Bug

Got this from NVIDIA this afternoon:

"196.75 Alert!
We are aware that some customers have reported fan speed issues with the latest 196.75 WHQL drivers on NVIDIA.com. Until we can verify and root cause this issue, we recommend that customers stay with, or return to 196.21 WHQL drivers. Release 196.75 drivers have been temporarily removed from our website."

Rig 2:
intel 2500K + NVIDIA GTX590 + Dell 3007 WFPHC

[SIZE="1"]NVIDIA Focus Group Member
[B]NVIDIA Focus Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the Members.[/B][/SIZE]
Rollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-10, 08:47 PM   #4
Athena
spirit filled

Default Re: Serious 196.75 Graphics Driver Bug

So I have read around the web that those pulled drivers would slow the fan speed as the graphic load increased till the fan would stop and the card would fry itself and some times also damage the MOBO. Nvidia states they are working with board partners for those that now have damaged or destroyed card. So my brother, whom was unlucky enough to upgrade so he could get SLI in a new game and as a result is now sitting on two cooked 8800's, put his name on the list to see what Nvidia might do. He got his reply today in a Email that asked him why if his PC was working did he install the newer drivers and Nvidia will not be doing any thing for those that lost card due to this broken driver release.

Wow, has any one heard better news about Nvidia's support? This seems kinda lousy, I mean I know Nvidia is hurting for money but to actually try to blame the user for trusting Nvidia's own official, non beta driver update is beyond crazy. O_o
Old 03-23-10, 01:50 AM   #5
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

before posting anything make sure you heard everything.

1) fan does not stop, it simply didn't increase RPM
2) it only affected G92 cards with custom non-nvidia cooler
3) if your card actually failed, it will be replaced by board partners
4) ITS OLD ****ING NEWS
5) ITS FIXED
6) don't post BS
Old 03-23-10, 06:27 AM   #6
Toss3
.<<o>>.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 View Post
before posting anything make sure you heard everything.

1) fan does not stop, it simply didn't increase RPM
2) it only affected G92 cards with custom non-nvidia cooler
3) if your card actually failed, it will be replaced by board partners
4) ITS OLD ****ING NEWS
5) ITS FIXED
6) don't post BS
If this was ATi you'd be all over this crap - nvidia screwed and should make sure people know to contact heir board-partners for a replacement, but what about those cards out of warranty? EVGA so far has been the only partner thus far that has replaced broken cards due to their lifetime warranty, but most people weren't so lucky. This is entirely nvidia's fault and people have a right to be angry! These were WHQL drivers for Christ's sake!
Old 03-31-10, 07:33 PM   #7
Athena
spirit filled

So if this was "fixed" why are people with damaged cards actually not getting support? Seems like a legit question to me, but you personally know they have been helped, because you know my brother better than I do of course. Like the fact he has standard cards from Evga, not units with custom coolers.

I am sorry if you where personally offended by other peoples lack of customer support but to post that peoples legit questions are BS seems to be a bit over reacting.

Maybe a good idea would be before you post something make sure you "know" what is going on on the subject, rather than just hear about it.