Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-07-11, 10:37 AM   #25
LurkerLito

Default Re: EA to pull games from Steam, make new titles exclusive to their platform

Quote:
so basically valve doesn't like the idea that EA wants to control patches and DLC? Tell me what is wrong with the way valve handles this with every other game they offer and what's wrong with steam's in game chat, etc?
Well the problem with steam from a developer's point of view, is if you want to update DLC or the game, you can't till you send it to Valve to approve then for them put it on the servers and enable the update. That means even if you have a one line change in an config file or an update to a <1k file you can't just post it, you have to go through Valve for approval first like the Apple AppStore. If that change happens to fall on a Friday, your users are usually stuck without a patch till Monday morning 10am PST at the earliest.

This kind of problem happened during Magicka's release, they fixed the code, issued a patch on steam everyone got it but, oops the dev left some debug code in, that made the game skip a level. Users found a hack to re-enable the level, but the official patch didn't come out for a day or two because of the approval process.

So yes Steam is both a blessing and a curse from a developers standpoint. User's love the simplicity of steam's DRM and convenience, but that comes at a cost to the developers in more than just money. For smaller companies I am sure the steam sales will more than make up for the inconvenience, but for bigger companies like EA, I am sure it makes it feel like more red tape to go through. Remember if you have a retail version and a Steam version the executables are NOT compatible with each other. So having a Steam version requires extra work to make Steam versions of the game. By not using Steam, EA will be able to make a single version of the game and patches for only one version. Look at Witcher 2, CD Projekt RED has to maintain 2 version now forever. One DRM free for everyone after the first patch and a specific Steam version because Steam does NOT allow you to have a game on their service that does not use the Steam DRM. This is also the reason that Steam games seemingly gets an extra third party DRM on them. Companies most likely build the game with the SecuROM or whatever built in then to avoid any major changes to the code that might introduce new bugs, they just wrap that up in steam's DRM to get Valve's approval to put on Steam.

This doesn't of course exclude the fact that EA also wants more profits that it will get from direct sales.

Quote:
Why not offer players the best patch system by using steam and always having the players game up to date?
Also IMHO steam's patch system is tolerable but very far from "the best". The multi-GB download for the Witcher 2 steam patch rather than the <10MB patch for all other versions is more than proof of that.

Main PC: Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe ; Intel i7-3770k ; GSkill Ripjaws X Series 16GB DDR3 2133 (2x8GB) ; Seasonic X Series X-1050 PSU ; Corsair H100 ; EVGA GTX-670 ; Mushkin 240GB SSD system drive
Old PC: ABIT IP35 Pro ; Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 ; Patriot 6GB (3x2GB) DDR2 800 RAM ; EVGA GTX480 SC ; Antec P190 Case ; EnzoTech Ultra120 CPU Cooler
LurkerLito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-11, 12:41 PM   #26
Mike89
Dude, where's my brain?

Default Re: EA to pull games from Steam, make new titles exclusive to their platform

So what's the big deal about it? Origin is really just a glorified game downloader. You only have to use it to download the games. That's it. In the settings you can strip out all the social BS and make it so you don't have to open it to play the games like you do with Steam. I have close to 60 or so games installed and maybe 20 of them are on Steam so I could care less. I don't think Steam should have a monopoly. At least Origin gives you choices like not having to open it to play, and where you want your games installed. Two things Steam should be able to do. I wish EA would have left it as a simple game downloader like it was but all in all I have no problem with it. Those that say they now won't buy EA games or games not on Steam are talking stupid. I'll be playing while those guys are whining.
I7 3770 @ 4.4 gig (Noctua NH-U14S Heatsink), ASRock Z77 Extreme6, 16 Gigs (2x8) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600, EVGA GTX 680 Signature 2, Acer P236H 23" (1920x1080), X-Fi Xtreme Gamer Pro, 2 WD 640 gig SATA HDDs, WD 750 gig HDD (eSata), WD 1TB Black HDD, Sandisk 32 GB ReadyCache SSD, 2 SATA DVD Burners, Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Speaker System, Corsair TX750w PSU, HSPC Top Deck Tech Station, Windows 7 Pro x64
Mike89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-11, 12:44 PM   #27
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

guess i won't be buying any more EA games then.
nekrosoft13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-11, 12:45 PM   #28
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:
Originally Posted by LurkerLito View Post

Also IMHO steam's patch system is tolerable but very far from "the best". The multi-GB download for the Witcher 2 steam patch rather than the <10MB patch for all other versions is more than proof of that.
that fixed, and that was more of a problem because of the way CDproject made the patch. they didn't provide a "steam" patch.
Old 07-29-11, 12:59 PM   #29
Mike89
Dude, where's my brain?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 View Post
guess i won't be buying any more EA games then.
Yeah well that's like saying, "I only like Chevys so if I'm hitchhiking and someone offers me a ride in a Ford, I'm going to keep on walking" (to show them how loyal you are).

Well keep on walking dude, I'll be sure to wave as I drive by.
I7 3770 @ 4.4 gig (Noctua NH-U14S Heatsink), ASRock Z77 Extreme6, 16 Gigs (2x8) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600, EVGA GTX 680 Signature 2, Acer P236H 23" (1920x1080), X-Fi Xtreme Gamer Pro, 2 WD 640 gig SATA HDDs, WD 750 gig HDD (eSata), WD 1TB Black HDD, Sandisk 32 GB ReadyCache SSD, 2 SATA DVD Burners, Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Speaker System, Corsair TX750w PSU, HSPC Top Deck Tech Station, Windows 7 Pro x64
Mike89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-11, 07:24 PM   #30
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike89 View Post
Yeah well that's like saying, "I only like Chevys so if I'm hitchhiking and someone offers me a ride in a Ford, I'm going to keep on walking" (to show them how loyal you are).

i really don't care either way, last time i played a game was 3-4 weeks ago.
Old 07-29-11, 07:52 PM   #31
bacon12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike89 View Post

You probably won't feel that way if every publisher went this route. Who wants a client down loader, and storefront for every publisher installed on their system? Who wants to have to rebuild your friends list for each?

All that EA speak is BS, they want to get their store in front of as many people as possible. It is competing with steam, and by putting a big title like BF3 on steam you are inviting your customers to shop with your competitor.

From a business standpoint I can see the merit of the decision, but as a consumer it sucks.
bacon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-11, 08:06 PM   #32
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

that is a good point bacon.

I personally don't want every publisher to start using their store.

Old 07-29-11, 09:55 PM   #33
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy

Yeah at first I felt ashamed for posting a misleading thread title but it seems to me there is some merit to it after all. bacon you make good points and I agree as a consumer I see no value and more of a hassle with having to install multiple frontends for my games. And frankly I don't see Steam going away anytime soon; it's practically ubiquitous in PC gaming.
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410
Ninjaman09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-11, 06:15 PM   #34
mojoman0

http://www.develop-online.net/news/3...A-to-come-back

Quote:
Games disappearing from Steam is a complex issue but can be fixed, says Valve boss

Valve has a responsibility to show Electronic Arts why it is smarter business to add games on Steam instead of remove them, studio president Gabe Newell has said.

Recently, a number of EA-published games have suddenly dissapeared from Valve's leading online game portal. Speaking to Develop, Newell said the reason why is down to "a whole complicated set of issues".

Last month industry sources speculated that the issue hinged on EA's desire to sell DLC directly to Steam customers, as opposed to hosting content through Valve's own portal.

Valve takes a revenue cut from all content sold through Steam, meaning that EA's alleged strategy - if true - could allow EA to circumvent those payments.

Certain EA-published games have been removed from Steam on days that coincide with the release of new DLC. Electronic Arts has also launched the Origin service for PC; something that is categorically a competitor to Steam.

Newell suggested the struggle with EA is complicated, but nevertheless reconcilable.

"I don’t think Valve can pick just one thing and think the issue would go away if we fixed that," he said.

"We have to show EA it’s a smart decision to have EA games on Steam, and we’re going to try to show them that," he said.

Speaking in an interview to be published soon, Newell spoke in depth about the potential for Dota 2 on a global scale, and what success outside the FPS genre will mean for Valve.

But returning to the issue of EA, the Valve co-founder took a philosophical stance when asked if customers should expect more games to be removed from Steam.

"Companies have to earn the right to install content on their customers' PCs on a regular basis," he began.

"The same thing is true of Steam. We have to prove we are creating value on an ongoing basis, whether it’s to EA or Ubisoft or whoever.

"We really want to show there’s a lot of value having EA titles on Steam. We want EA’s games on Steam and we have to show them that’s a smart thing to do," he said.

"I think at the end of the day we’re going to prove to Electronic Arts they have happier customers, a higher quality service, and will make more money if they have their titles on Steam. It’s our duty to demonstrate that to them. We don’t have a natural right to publish their games."

Develop's interview with Newell and its exciting new project Dota 2 will be available online soon
mojoman0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-11, 07:58 PM   #35
Ninja Prime

I don't understand how EA is so dumb that they can't see using steam is a good thing. One of hte biggest compliants of BC2 was that it didn't use steam and thus its search/friend/matching system was a peice of crap, if the underlying game wasn't so good people wouldn't have even dealt with that peice.
Ninja Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-11, 02:45 AM   #36
AngelGraves13

I don't know what EA is smoking.

I don't want EA to contact me about patches or have a relationship with me. Just like with certain people you meet, you just want them to do their business and then leave. EA needs to just automatically patch my game and leave me alone... no time for pillow talk here.

There's more pressing matters at hand.
AngelGraves13 is offline   Reply With Quote