Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > CPUs, Motherboards And Memory

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-21-02, 09:35 PM   #1
Cotita
Nvidia God

Default Athlon XP 2500-

AMD needs to reconsider their PR ratings, the xp2600+ looks more like a xp2500- because it can't even touch the pentium 4 2.53 ghz

AMD needs a faster bus, but 166mhz is not enough, a 200mhz looks more promising.

Seeing various KT400 mobos I've seen that some of them support a 200mhz FSB, so maybe there is hope.
Old 08-21-02, 09:45 PM   #2
StealthHawk

i think they did reconsider their Performance Ratings with the tbred B CPUs

anyway, there's definitely some touching going on. just because it gets blown away in Quake 3 doesn't mean all that much
Old 08-21-02, 09:56 PM   #3
Cotita
Nvidia God

take a look at tom's review in almost all benchmarks the p4 defeats the athlon xp by a good margin.
Old 08-21-02, 10:08 PM   #4
netviper13
Treehugger

Recall that the PR ratings are not in relation to Intel's chips, rather they are simply in relation to the Thunderbird core.
netviper13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-02, 10:18 PM   #5
StealthHawk

Quake 3: -18%, -11%
Quake3 NV15: -6%, -6%
3dmark 2000: +4%
3dmark 2001: +0%
Commanche 4: -1%
MP3 encoding: +9%, -21%
MPEG4 encoding: -1%
MPEG2 encoding: -6%
Sandra CPU: -5%, +12%
Sandra Multimedia: +18%, +4%
Sandra Memory: P4 <-- gratuitous benchmark, % is useless
Pcmark 2002: +1%
Pcmark Memory: P4 <-- again, worthless result
Sysmark 2002: -20%
Winace 2.12: -15%
Lightwave -36%
Cinema: +15%
3dsmax: -6%
SPEC DRV08: -5%
SPEC DX07: +62%
SPEC Light0505: +6%
SPEC PROE01: -13%
UGS01: +1%

note: all +%'s are the percentage that a 2600+ outscored P4. all -%'s are the percentage that a 2.53GHz outscored Athlon

Total P4: 15 Athlon: 11

looks pretty even to me
Old 08-21-02, 10:28 PM   #6
Cotita
Nvidia God

Quote:
Originally posted by netviper13
Recall that the PR ratings are not in relation to Intel's chips, rather they are simply in relation to the Thunderbird core.
So says AMD, but do you really believe that?
Old 08-22-02, 01:27 AM   #7
StealthHawk

Quote:
Originally posted by Cotita

So says AMD, but do you really believe that?
we all know it's meant to give Athlons a marketable number that corresponds to Pentium 4 frequencies.
Old 08-22-02, 02:31 AM   #8
Kruno
TypeDef's assistant

Send a message via ICQ to Kruno Send a message via AIM to Kruno

Bah! Stop your bitchin
If the P4 beats the Athlon it beats it. IMO it has more to do with the entire system and OS rather than cpu alone. Of course the cpu would impact by a very large amount. If the P4 beats the AthlonXP in 1 review it doesn't in every. I have seen benchmarks in Q3 showing the Athlon kicking the P4 and vice versa all using the same map. Bah! Silly reviews. Just because something is supposed to do something doesn't mean it will as well.

StealthHawk: It doesn't matter if Tom has a P4 that can kick the Athlon's butt in nearly every benchmark. I don't play any games that get benched the most. Goodness knows what Tom could have done to those numbers. For all I know he could be pulling numbers out of his ass and giving Intel a good review so they can send him free goods.

Old 08-22-02, 05:06 AM   #9
StealthHawk

the point was that the P4 doesn't win in every benchmark

i don't think an Athlon could beat a P4 in Q3 though, unless the P4 was using SDRAM, and the Athlon was using hyper mega ultra fast telekenetic ram
Old 08-22-02, 07:47 AM   #10
Richthofen

well of course it can beat the P4 in Q3.
Just increase resolution.
I know people are saying - more resolution depends more on vga card but look if it is the same card for instance a GF4Ti4600 than i really don't care why there are any differences maybe due to better driver optimization or whatever.

If you compare a DDR P4 system to a 2600+ DDR System you can bench as much games as you would like of course in standard 1024*768 resolution. The Athlon XP will be definetly superiour and the system is cheaper.

Forget that stupid THG review. Everyone knows that THG prefers Intel.
You can see that through all his reviews of CPUs.
He mentions about 15 to 20 System configurations in his tests but not even one P4 DDR System or SDR System?
On the other hand he mentions a Athlon 800 MHZ (where is the P3 800 MHZ so that i can laugh about that too?), slow VIA Memory performance (again where is a nForce configuration and the P4 DDR and SDR Systems?). I do not think that he even considers a nForce2 plattform when they appear.

Bottom line is THG wants Intel too look good - period.
Thats all what his reviews are about.
The majority of people just reads those benchies and thinks "whow how fast the P4 is" and then they go to a store and by a crappy P4 DDR or SDR System.

The PR rating is definetly OK and again i don't care about game performance in resolutions which nobody plays.
Richthofen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-02, 08:47 AM   #11
SnakeEyes

Send a message via ICQ to SnakeEyes
Thumbs up

I'd have to say that the P4 blasts the T-Bred in memory bandwidth intensive stuff, but that's always been the case. Other than those, I agree with StealthHawk, they're pretty even. When you consider the clock differences, it's actually pretty impressive.

Taking the cost of each into account, I'd say it should be a no-brainer which one is the better, unless you just happen to need Q3 to run at over a billion frames per second. In that case, get the P4 and run it at 320x240x16bits, all details off, and you'll be a happy camper. For most of the rest of us, it's the same deal it's been for a while now- AMD competes on practically level ground, but for a significantly lower cost, and we'll stick with 'em. In fact, once nForce2 comes out, I plan to evaluate it for my next upgrade. That may help those cranky memory benches a bit.

Oh, and I saw a review comparing the new processor to a P4 using DDR RAM yesterday. Other than the memory bandwidth benches, which admittedly Intel's controller seems to still lead in, the P4 got beat six ways to Sunday. The review made a remark about RDRAM and the fact that Intel's moving more and more to DDR for its mainstream use with P4, while RDRAM (though getting cheaper all the time) is headed for the high-end niches. In the majority of P4 systems vs. the majority of T-Bred systems, the T-Bred's gonna kill.. Just my opinion.
Old 08-22-02, 12:22 PM   #12
druga runda
Zeus Gromovnik

If you take AMD MB review for example, P4 barely makes a win . and on Hard OCP it is pretty even, so it is surely even, and when you take that PC1066 Rdram from PIV it is even more in favour of AMD, so, well... apart from that I don't think we can compare the system costs either for non overclockeres. Still even for those who overclock regularly 2400+ shows great promice (esp if the core will be for 2200, 2000+ CPU's as well.)
druga runda is offline   Reply With Quote