Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-11-03, 09:23 AM   #1
Birdie

Send a message via ICQ to Birdie Send a message via Yahoo to Birdie
Unhappy AGP not working with Asus A7N8X Deluxe & Radeon 8500

Reading other posts it seems that there's no AGP GART driver for Linux, so any video card != nvidia won't work.
Does anyone know any workaround for this? I know that nvidia's graphics driver work with nForce 2 chipsets, so, there MUST be a way to make it work.
Also, I've read in the linux-2.4.21-pre5-ac3 kernel changelog that the radeon kernel module doesn't need agpgart anymore. Anyone tested this?

Thanks in advance.
Birdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-03, 02:17 PM   #2
Andy Mecham
l33t master

It's a known issue, and we're working on a solution as fast as we can.

--andy
Old 04-11-03, 10:32 PM   #3
suexec

Default Re: AGP not working with Asus A7N8X Deluxe & Radeon 8500

Quote:
Originally posted by Birdie
Reading other posts it seems that there's no AGP GART driver for Linux, so any video card != nvidia won't work.
Does anyone know any workaround for this? I know that nvidia's graphics driver work with nForce 2 chipsets, so, there MUST be a way to make it work.
Also, I've read in the linux-2.4.21-pre5-ac3 kernel changelog that the radeon kernel module doesn't need agpgart anymore. Anyone tested this?

Thanks in advance.
No known workaround. That radeon driver is I believe for DRI, and the not needing agpgart may be that it would use pcigart. I'm not sure, but this could be for the pci radeon cards out there. I was able to load the radeon kernel driver for DRI, but it didn't detect agpgart and did nothing.

The Radeon's in M$ Windows work fine with nForce2 boards, but then nVidia does provide for a standalone agp gart driver in its all-in-one nForce2 Windows drivers.
suexec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-03, 01:48 PM   #4
Tector

I don't know how to impress upon Nvidia strongly enough how important agpgart support for the Nforce2 chipset is. Not everyone using Linux uses an Nvidia graphics card. I broke down and bought an Nvidia graphics card just to have 3-d acceleration support for Linux only it didn't work with Nvidia's drivers either. For now I'll have to run Linux without any gaming capability. If Nvidia doen't address agpgart support for the Nforce2 chipset soon, I'm planning to shelve my Nforce2 M/B and buy a VIA based M/B until they do.
Tector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-03, 12:33 AM   #5
suexec

When I break down, I'll buy a Via based board and give the nForce2 board to my purely Windows using brother. When this happens, it would also mean I would never be buying nVidia again... mobo, video, and whatever else they may come up with.
suexec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-03, 06:04 AM   #6
CSlayeR

Send a message via Yahoo to CSlayeR
Default True!

AGPgart for linux will be available in the kernel when nvidia's agp specification will be leaked.. until then is no chance for getting AGPgart in linux working. So if you have on nforce mainboard buy one nvidia video card. But here is one problem too. Nvidia's linux drivers sucks indeed they do not work well on their chipset (example Nforce2).

NForce2 linux support if for guys who doesn't know linux at all. The lan drivers sucks, the ide driver is nonexistent and the soundstorm sound drivers are not prezent (there is one i810 driver modified , i810 is one ac97codec, so not very good drivers , they lack of tone control and the rest of features available in soundstorm's windows drivers). And i think they did not want to promote their mainboard at all.
I think nvidia's new drivers will be available for nforce2 mainboards not soon of summer end. and they will not include new features.

I definitly buy another mainboards. That will be one via or intel based.

Best regards
SlayeR
CSlayeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-03, 02:17 PM   #7
Andy Mecham
l33t master

Quote:
The lan drivers sucks
What exact problems are you having with it?
Quote:
the ide driver is nonexistent
It's supported in the 2.4.21-pre series. You can also enable DMA with hdparm.
Quote:
I think nvidia's new drivers will be available for nforce2 mainboards not soon of summer end. and they will not include new features.
A new driver release should be out soon, and will include SPDIF support.

--andy
Old 04-14-03, 07:56 PM   #8
bahamot

Quote:
Originally posted by Andy Mecham
What exact problems are you having with it?
It's supported in the 2.4.21-pre series. You can also enable DMA with hdparm.
A new driver release should be out soon, and will include SPDIF support.

--andy
how bout Rear speaker support and full-duplex support (playing 2 different audio sources concurrently)?
bahamot is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-14-03, 07:58 PM   #9
Tector

Birdie: I have just compiled the 2.4.21pre7 kernel and the radeon drivers still look for AGPGart. I don't have a clue what they meant when they said that the radeon driver no longer requires AGPGart unless it's referring to the standard radeon.o driver that doesn't have 3-D acceleration. I can get it the ATI driver to work, but only if I disable DRI which means no 3-D acceleration. Oh well.
Old 04-14-03, 08:04 PM   #10
bahamot

the new nforce driver is already out, but doesn't mention anything about rear speaker and multi sources, i guess both won't be made available on linux ??
bahamot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-03, 10:14 PM   #11
Birdie

Send a message via ICQ to Birdie Send a message via Yahoo to Birdie

it's the prepatch from alan cox (ac) kernel.
get it at www.kernel.org
use it on linux-2.4.21-pre5, NOT pre7.
Birdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-03, 09:25 AM   #12
Tector

I'm pretty sure pre7 has Alan's pre5 patches merged in, but I'll try the pre5 patch and see what happens.