Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-10-07, 08:45 AM   #1
boazarad

Default Is the nVidia driver always loaded after install?

I'm trying to figure out whether the nVidia driver itself or compiz-fusion window manager are causing me trouble during hibernate-to-disk on my laptop.

The question is: is the nVidia driver always present in memory after installing using openSuSE 10.3s YaST util?

Without compiz running, the laptop seems to hibernate just fine (except the fact that the sleep led won't stop blinking when it wakes up).
With compiz, the laptop refuses to wake up...

Could compiz change any driver related setting or run-status to cause this, or should I be blaming compiz?
boazarad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-07, 10:36 AM   #2
Lithorus

Default Re: Is the nVidia driver always loaded after install?

Quote:
Originally Posted by boazarad
I'm trying to figure out whether the nVidia driver itself or compiz-fusion window manager are causing me trouble during hibernate-to-disk on my laptop.

The question is: is the nVidia driver always present in memory after installing using openSuSE 10.3s YaST util?

Without compiz running, the laptop seems to hibernate just fine (except the fact that the sleep led won't stop blinking when it wakes up).
With compiz, the laptop refuses to wake up...

Could compiz change any driver related setting or run-status to cause this, or should I be blaming compiz?
What you are asking for is not dependent on compiz. If you load X using the nvidia driver, it's loaded into memory. When you start compiz it'll take over as the composite manager and will use the composite extension of the Xserver, which in turn uses the nvidia driver. But AFAIK the nvidia driver doesn't change "state" whether or not you use the composite extension.
Lithorus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-07, 12:34 PM   #3
zander
NVIDIA Corporation

@boazarad: there's a known problem with VT switching if sync-to-vblank is enabled in compiz; this affects power management. Does your problem persist if you disable sync-to-vblank in compiz?
zander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-07, 02:09 PM   #4
boazarad

This has improved things greatly, now the system will wake up properly, but for some reason, my "sleep" led continues blinking after resume, and will not stop until after a full power-off.

Also, consecutive suspends seem to fail!

Another issue I have, which might be relevant, is that my xscreensaver runs only about on a third of the desktop - it's as if the screen savers "window" was moved down and to the right. I can still see the desktop under it in the remaining "uncovered" space.
boazarad is offline   Reply With Quote