Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-11-03, 02:06 PM   #1
barrion

Default trouble installing nvidia drivers for dual processor SGI 550 pc

I'm having trouble getting the X server started. I downloaded the NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-4349.run file and followed the installation instructions. As noted in the subject line, this is a dual processor SGI 550 pc with a Quadro graphics card, and a Flat panel monitor. when I try to "startx" an error message with the following text is displayed "Failed to initialize the NVIDIA kernel module". I used the insmod command to verify that the nvidia.o file installed by the install script was loaded. In addition I copied the modeline for the SGI1600SW flat panel display from the README into the XF86Config-4 file.
barrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-03, 04:05 PM   #2
bwkaz

SGI, as in Silicon Graphics International? Do they make Intel-compatible processors now? They never used to...

If so, and if this is one of them (or if the SGI you're talking about isn't Silicon Graphics), then check to make sure the "nvidia" module is actually loaded, with /sbin/lsmod (this can be done as any user). If it isn't, then try /sbin/modprobe nvidia, as root. Then try to startx again.

If it is loaded, then look in your kernel logs (the output of dmesg, or /var/log/messages on RH/Mandrake, /var/log/sys.log on LFS, and other files depending on the distro, but always in /var/log) for why it wouldn't initialize. Most of the time, it's because you have PnP OS on and/or Assign IRQ to VGA off -- these need to be off, and on, respectively, in your BIOS.

If you are talking about Silicon Graphics, and if they don't make Intel-compatible processors, then these drivers will not work. Sorry. The part of them that does all the work is precompiled for Intel when we get the package -- even if the installer compiles a kernel interface for you, it links it against a .o file that comes as an Intel-architecture-compiled binary.
Registered Linux User #219692
bwkaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-03, 04:52 PM   #3
mtrr

Send a message via ICQ to mtrr

@bwkaz:

SGI started a little, ermm...experiment back in 1999 or 2000
they introduced some intel based workstations, all equipped with
nvidia based graphic boards and a really nice case.

cheers
mtrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-03, 06:15 PM   #4
bwkaz

Have to say I did not know that... interesting.
Registered Linux User #219692
bwkaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-03, 06:34 PM   #5
mtrr

Send a message via ICQ to mtrr

found a site with info about the first model:

http://www.btinternet.com/~sgi320/index.html

there was even a kernel option for supporting the cobalt chipset
in linux (framebuffer and such stuff)
mtrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-03, 06:52 PM   #6
Andy Mecham
l33t master

Be warned - there is a known bug with SMP+DVI that will hang your system. You're not currently hitting it as the kernel module isn't loading. Once we get past that problem, please use an analog cable as a temporary workaround.

Can you post your /var/log/nvidia-installer.log and /var/log/XFree86.0.log files? Also, any interesting messages in /var/log/messages?

--andy
Old 04-14-03, 02:03 PM   #7
barrion

Andy, I don't know how to attach multiple files so I am including the XFree86 log in this email, and will attach the other files to seperate emails, sorry. By the way, I'm running the mandrake 9.1 enterprise kernel. I reinstalled the nvidia driver and no problems are noted in the nvidia-installer.log. I had to connect to a different monitor (Mitsubishi Diamond Plus 9l) to boot to the appropriate kernel and then execute the installation script. I then tried to use an older XF86Config-4 file that worked with the same SGI flat panel display, red hat 7.3 and the NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-2960 + corresponding GLX rpm. This combination doesn't start the xserver and I cannot get to a command propmt (using Ctrl+Alt+F2). The XFree86.0.log attached is the result of the last combination (SGI monitor and old config file).
Attached Files
File Type: log xfree86.0.log (15.6 KB, 105 views)
Old 04-14-03, 03:46 PM   #8
barrion

Default Additional log file

Andy,

This log file was generated using a generic XF86Config-4 file with a mitsubishi monitor connected instead of the SGI 1600SW flat panel display. You'll note that in this case the error message stating that the nvidia kernel module initialization failed is not generated. However, there is an error message stating the following: " Failed to add GLX extension (NVIDIA XFree86 driver not found)"
Attached Files
File Type: log xfree86.0.log (34.5 KB, 97 views)

Old 04-14-03, 03:49 PM   #9
Andy Mecham
l33t master

This log indicates you're using the opensource "nv" driver instead of the accelerated "nvidia" driver.

--andy
Old 04-14-03, 08:23 PM   #10
barrion

Default log file

Andy,

thanks for the help. The first log file I attached is really the one of interest. The second log file is what I use when I need a display (Mitsubishi Monitor) temporarily. I am really interested in getting the 1600SW monitor working. I'm trying to use an XF86Config-4 file that worked last year (nvidia kernel and glx driver ... 2960 or 2990 can't remember) ... but the kernel module is not loading.

Thanks
Old 04-14-03, 09:31 PM   #11
Andy Mecham
l33t master

Heh, it pays to read all the posts.

The "Failed to initialize" is the catchall error message - any number of things could be happening. Can you post your /var/log/nvidia-installer.log?

--andy
Old 04-15-03, 08:20 AM   #12
barrion

Default nvidia-installer.log attached

Andy, here is the file you requested. Thanks
Attached Files
File Type: log nvidia-installer.log (2.3 KB, 104 views)