Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-20-08, 08:37 PM   #133
mikevas

Default Re: Brightness control not working with nVidia driver

BINGO! As I am writing to you, my LCD brightness is set to a comfortable low level and my battery time is 2+ hours! The physical address for the register is 0xCE61C084 for the 8400M, if it means anything to you. I did a quick and dirty hack on nvclock to set the register and it worked. Possible values are from 0x0 to 0x401. To set the brightness you have to bitwise-OR the value with 0x80000000. The max value for my panel is 0x401. This means that you have to write 0x80000401 to 0xCE61C084 in order to set the brightness to full. 0x80000100 is ok for something relatively low. All values in-between are working. Implementing the nice backlight fade-in and fade-out effect from Vista should be easily doable.

Have in mind that when you are reading the value of the register the leading 8 does not appear. It is needed when you set the brightness though. The register eats it and is left with the least significant part which is the real value (i.e. 0x00000401).

For those that are going to incorporate this to smartdimmer and/or nvclock, have in mind that this physical address is outside of the ranges that are mmap-ped in the backend code, so you possibly need to add a new pointer member in the NVCard struct.
mikevas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-08, 12:33 AM   #134
kikvors

At last it works!

also see:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...nux/+bug/95444

for information on where to download patches for nvclock and adding keybindings (i.e. using your function keys to set backlight brightness).
kikvors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-08, 12:18 PM   #135
bistory

Great new guy !
I'll see the new code posted in smartdimmer project
Thanks a lot !
bistory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-08, 02:14 PM   #136
frank17next
Francesco Mignogna

Default RESOLVED (Vaio FZ Series) Re: Brightness control not working with nVidia driver

RESOLVED:

Hi,
I've posted the solution on my website: http://www.frank17.it/linux/fz18m.htm from http://www.linux-on-laptops.com/
(In Italian language, i'm Italian)
See ya!
frank17next is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-08, 04:05 PM   #137
davbren

Quote:
Originally Posted by ideefixe123 View Post
Brightness control is very limited on my Samsung q310 laptop (GeForce 9200M GS):
From one side, when I boot with acpi_fake_ecdt=1 kernel option the video.ko module provides control via /proc/acpi/video/NVID/LCD/brightness. However, the problem is that echoing values to this file has effect only while I am in text mode or use nv/vesa driver. It looks like nvidia (prop) driver somehow locks lcd-level control.

As a workaround, I am using scripts like this one to reduce backlight to minimum (run it as root):
#!/bin/bash
chvt 1
echo -n 10 > /proc/acpi/video/NVID/LCD/brightness
chvt 7

I am pretty sure that I am not alone in this situation. Is it possible to prevent nvidia driver from locking the brightness level while in X, or is this also vendor-specific? May be it is possible to introduce this option?
Lets just pretend that I don't understand this but really want to. Could you try and explain how I do this in less "bashy" ways. I don't mind getting my hands dirty but I really need to get this battery life back up to what it is under windows...

Can this be assigned to the Fn keys? if so how? and also how do I go about doing what you just did...?
davbren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-08, 08:29 PM   #138
huiii

Default Re: RESOLVED (Vaio FZ Series) Re: Brightness control not working with nVidia driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank17next View Post
RESOLVED:

Hi,
I've posted the solution on my website: http://www.frank17.it/linux/fz18m.htm from http://www.linux-on-laptops.com/
(In Italian language, i'm Italian)
See ya!
THANKS frank17next!!
brightness is finally working on my Sony VAIO FZ31M!

thank you!
huiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-08, 05:11 PM   #139
surfinbird

Question Re: Brightness control not working with nVidia driver

Brightness control is still not working with 177.82 drivers, 9200M and Kubuntu 8.10. After a lot of forum crawling and thread reading I am still not sure if this issue should have been solved by now or not. Can somebody give me up-to-date feedback on this?
surfinbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-08, 05:29 PM   #140
Fackamato
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfinbird View Post
Brightness control is still not working with 177.82 drivers, 9200M and Kubuntu 8.10. After a lot of forum crawling and thread reading I am still not sure if this issue should have been solved by now or not. Can somebody give me up-to-date feedback on this?

It's working for some people with Sony laptops. Not on my Dell laptop (not even with latest svn of nvclock, disabling the SONY check for the graphics card)
Fackamato is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-10-08, 06:19 AM   #141
surfinbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fackamato View Post
It's working for some people with Sony laptops. Not on my Dell laptop (not even with latest svn of nvclock, disabling the SONY check for the graphics card)
Thanks to confirm my suspects. Looking at the dates of the threads in several forums this issue seems to be circling for quite some time! If nvidia hasn't been able to give it some priority by now I can figure out what support does mean for them ... no need to hammer ... it will surely influence my future purchases because decent power management on a laptop is essential!
surfinbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-08, 06:36 AM   #142
Thunderbird

Regarding NVClock as some of you might know the latest CVS version offers SmartDimmer on various sony geforce8/9 models. Some of my users also used it successfully on some other laptops like models from Samsung. By default support for non-sony geforce8/9 models is disabled in source but you can enable it when you want to experiment with it. To do that edit src/backend/nv50.c. You'll see a line:
if((nv_card->subvendor_id == PCI_VENDOR_ID_SONY) && nv_card->gpu == MOBILE)

Remove the sony part and change it to:
if(nv_card->gpu == MOBILE)
Thunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-08, 07:43 AM   #143
adamorjames

It works on my Dell laptop (it always has). I'm not sure if it uses nVIDIA to do the brightness though.
adamorjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-08, 10:32 AM   #144
Fackamato
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamorjames View Post
It works on my Dell laptop (it always has). I'm not sure if it uses nVIDIA to do the brightness though.
I'm not sure we're talking about the same thing. Altering brightness levels with Fn+Up/Down has always worked, regardless of OS. What doesn't work is changing the brightness with nvclock. gnome-power-manager is also buggy, it only offers 3 levels of brightness (like lowest, medium, highest) instead of 7 or something which is supported in hardware. There's a "fix" to the gnome-power-manager issue, basically commenting out some lines in two files in /etc/acpi.d/ IIRC, but then, as you change the brightness, the monitor goes from (current > full > -1, or current > full +1), which probably isn't a good thing for the monitor.

At least, it's annoying when you're on the lowest brightness setting and just want to up it a notch. It jumps to FULL brightness, blinding you, then to the next lowest.
Fackamato is offline   Reply With Quote