Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-18-07, 09:13 AM   #1
badllama77

Default 100.14.19 nvidia geforce go 7200 flashing and freezing

I just installed the latest release of mandriva on my hp dv6040us notebook and I am having problems with the 100.14.19 driver. I have tried composite on/off as well as a few other tricks (no apic, addargbglxvisuals, etc) with no luck. The symptoms I am seeing are random flashing and freezing. I have backed down to the 9639 driver and all is well. Anyone have any idea what might be happening here.

HP dv6040us notebook
Athlon xp x2
nvidia geforce go 7200
badllama77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-07, 09:37 AM   #2
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: 100.14.19 nvidia geforce go 7200 flashing and freezing

See the forum sticky posts.
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-07, 07:03 AM   #3
pescez

hello, i have the very same issue on the same card, geforce go 7200 on a hp pavilion dv6146eu laptop: random screen freezes and if i switch to a VT when i get back to X the screen is definitely black and i can only ctrl+alt+backspace to start it again. Sure, i can move mouse arrow but it's useless. windows don't respond at all.

These freezes happen with or without compiz running and in most of cases it's firefox (swiftweasel) fault... i mean it's easy to freeze the screen just scrolling a webpage. It happened scrolling a text file in gnome-terminal too though.

I have to point out that there are two kinds of freezes: it happened that the screen froze but the system kept on going (and i know it because i was able to ssh and the music kept on playing) AND that i experienced short system-freezes. In these cases system is totally unresponsive but after a while it comes back.

i tried to startx with -logverbose 6 but i had an issue with permissions of .Xauthority file and i logged this errors in a startx.log file, so i can only post the nvidia-bug-report of an usual gdm session, and that other log of course.. Hope it helps.

--
pescez

edit: i forgot to say that i have never been able to use 100.14.11 version of nvidia drivers because it says my card is not supported, i used to run 9755 but i can't use it anymore after upgrade to gutsy, i can't figure out if it's related to xorg or to kernel. the annoying thing with 9755 was the famous black windows bug using composite window manager like compiz or beryl, for the rest it was great.
Attached Files
File Type: log nvidia-bug-report.log (145.9 KB, 184 views)
File Type: log startx.log (2.5 KB, 162 views)
pescez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-07, 04:43 AM   #4
Max_resty

Quote:
Originally Posted by pescez
hello, i have the very same issue on the same card, geforce go 7200 on a hp pavilion dv6146eu laptop: random screen freezes and if i switch to a VT when i get back to X the screen is definitely black and i can only ctrl+alt+backspace to start it again. Sure, i can move mouse arrow but it's useless. windows don't respond at all.

These freezes happen with or without compiz running and in most of cases it's firefox (swiftweasel) fault... i mean it's easy to freeze the screen just scrolling a webpage. It happened scrolling a text file in gnome-terminal too though.

I have to point out that there are two kinds of freezes: it happened that the screen froze but the system kept on going (and i know it because i was able to ssh and the music kept on playing) AND that i experienced short system-freezes. In these cases system is totally unresponsive but after a while it comes back.

i tried to startx with -logverbose 6 but i had an issue with permissions of .Xauthority file and i logged this errors in a startx.log file, so i can only post the nvidia-bug-report of an usual gdm session, and that other log of course.. Hope it helps.

--
pescez

edit: i forgot to say that i have never been able to use 100.14.11 version of nvidia drivers because it says my card is not supported, i used to run 9755 but i can't use it anymore after upgrade to gutsy, i can't figure out if it's related to xorg or to kernel. the annoying thing with 9755 was the famous black windows bug using composite window manager like compiz or beryl, for the rest it was great.
hi,
i have your pavilion, dv6146eu, and your great problems!!!!the only solution is use the 9755 driver, but the nvidia enginer work for our problems or not????this problem is old and know...
cheers
Max
Max_resty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-07, 07:01 AM   #5
pescez

i would really like to know someone at nvidia is interesting to our trouble because , right now, the only way to use my pc in a stable way is using the nv driver that don't allow me to run gl apps.... and i really miss my cube and wobbly windows!
Old 10-22-07, 01:02 PM   #6
Konfusious

Until now everything worked fine including berryl or compiz for me. I used 1.0 9755 on my notebook A6T with Geforce Go 7300. No flickering, no hang ups. I had to choose 1.0-9755, as newer driver-versions had the flickering and hang-up problem.

Recently I installed the new Ubuntu-Version Gutsy Gibbon. Unfortunatly the 1.0-9755 kernel-module does not compile anymore. Same holds for 100.14.09.

This issue seems not to be related to the kernel-version, as I had the same kernel compiled for the previous Ubuntu-Version, which perfectly worked with the 1.0-9755-driver.

Newer driver-versions do compile but the already discussed flickering and hang-up-problem remains. Adding idle=poll to the kernel as kernel-parameter does not help, but instead increases CPU-temperature by about 10C.

At the moment the only solution for me is not to use the nvidia-driver. The open-source driver nv works fine, but unfortunatly has no direct-rendering-capabilities.

I'm a little bit disapointed now, because I have choosen a Geforce-based notebook because of the good driver. It is a little bit hard to understand, why an older driver supports my GPU and newer ones do not.
Also it seems that there is a lot of people with this problem, which would justify the necesary debugging.

So, could please anybody check this does-not-compile-issue for the 1.0-9755 driver? Or, which for sure would be better, include Geforce Go 7300-support in newer driver-versions?

Btw, is there a Bug-Tracking-System somewhere?

If help with testing or concrete error-messages is needed contact me.

Thanks in advance
Konf
Konfusious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-07, 05:26 PM   #7
pescez

ok, tonight it happened a weird thing that can be a step forward to understand our trouble. I was tweaking with resolution, monitor frequency etc (via ubuntu settings manager).. and when i set the resolution to 800x600 my desktop became bigger so that i was ale to see just a part of it. Going to the edges of the screen made my desktop slide until its real edges. While i was trying to understand that situation, here it comes the usual freeze.. everything was frozen but i kept on moving my cursor and, even if the desktop was frozen, it continued to slide going to screen edges... (the freeze never ended, my keyboard was useless and i had to hard-reboot)
i don't know how to interpret it, but maybe it's useful to someone else...

cheers

pescez
Old 10-24-07, 09:44 AM   #8
AciDLog

Hello,

i have the same problem. i have a dell notebook with a 7950GTX and since i use the 100.14.11 and 100.14.19 i get the problem with flickering and hangup. yes mostly i have the problem into firefox or when i something fastly.

i use compiz-fusion-0.6.0. i will try to switch back to 9755 driver maybe i will not have these problems.

AciDLog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-24-07, 03:17 PM   #9
nvuser07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konfusious
Unfortunatly the 1.0-9755 kernel-module does not compile anymore. Same holds for 100.14.09.

Konf

What kernel version is that, 32bit or 64bit?

To compile 100.14.09 on 2.6.23.x kernel, I made the following changes:

1. kmem_cache_create() in nv-linux.h would be one parameter less for 2.6.23.x, take away one NULL at the end such that

#define NV_KMEM_CACHE_CREATE(kmem_cache, name, type) \
{ \
kmem_cache = kmem_cache_create(name, sizeof(type), \
0, 0, NULL); \
}

2. The 2 references to unregister_chrdev() in nv.c would return void in 2.6.23.x.

Just take away the return code check and error message right after.

Cheers
nvuser07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-07, 05:00 PM   #10
Anony64

The same thing, the same problem. :/

freezing et cetera - terrible. Anyway I'm using right now nv and all is ok.

I've tried use to nvidia-glx (not workin' :/ ) and nvidia-glx-new from repository (freezing every moment :/ ).

Of coz I read the stick topic, but idle=pool and maxcpus is not for me (why I must to use only 1 core? O_o ).

I've got laptop with dual core 'n' GF GO 74oo.

Greetings.

Solved: Install older version of driver by Envy, use this: ftp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/96.43.01 Thnx for nVidia Now I can use my graphic card - GF GO rocks
Anony64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-07, 12:00 AM   #11
badllama77

It is good to know I am not crazy and it isn't just me. Hopefully nvidia will address this one soon.

Thanks guys
badllama77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-07, 05:59 PM   #12
pescez

update: i managed to make my card work with 100.14.09 manually installed... i still have the "black windows bug", but i can tell this driver works on gutsy for geforce go 7200.
I hope someone at nvidia will solve this..

cheers
pescez