Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > General Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-19-07, 02:01 PM   #13
evilghost
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 3,606
Default Re: Ubunt 7.10 is Out!

I love debian's approach to ndiswrapper using module assistant.

sudo apt-get install module-assistant
sudo m-a prepare
sudo m-a a-i ndiswrapper
evilghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-07, 02:10 PM   #14
grey_1
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Ubunt 7.10 is Out!

module assistant is fantastic. If I have time tonight I'll be trying it on my recently acquired 7900GTX. Fast and simple.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-07, 02:20 PM   #15
evilghost
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 3,606
Default Re: Ubunt 7.10 is Out!

I love being able to apply kernel updates and not have to deal with a recompile on the nvidia drivers and/or ndiswrapper; Ubuntu did this to me every kernel update.
evilghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-07, 03:50 PM   #16
grey_1
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Ubunt 7.10 is Out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilghost
I love being able to apply kernel updates and not have to deal with a recompile on the nvidia drivers and/or ndiswrapper; Ubuntu did this to me every kernel update.
This is exactly why I'm done with it. Most of the fixes weren't difficult, and the OS is beautiful when everything works as advertised. I just want to spend the majority of my time USING, not FIXING the OS.

Debian 4.0 lets me do that. In all fairness, I'm going to try CF when I get the chance, I have no idea if that'll break x on me again, but that's a CF, not a Debian deal.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-07, 05:27 PM   #17
six_storm
Registered User
 
six_storm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Nashvegas
Posts: 11,575
Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm
Default Re: Ubunt 7.10 is Out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_1
This is exactly why I'm done with it. Most of the fixes weren't difficult, and the OS is beautiful when everything works as advertised. I just want to spend the majority of my time USING, not FIXING the OS.

Debian 4.0 lets me do that. In all fairness, I'm going to try CF when I get the chance, I have no idea if that'll break x on me again, but that's a CF, not a Debian deal.
Let me know if you get CF to work on Debian. I haven't had much luck with Ubuntu 7.10 but hey, the Intel X3100 graphics accelerator isn't officially supported, aka no real drivers. GLXGears and all 3d screensavers work though. Somebody over at UbuntuForums.org got CF to work but it doesn't work for me. Guess I just gotta wait for a response.
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-07, 11:26 AM   #18
grey_1
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Ubunt 7.10 is Out!

CF's release notes say it's still pretty buggy with Etch..I'm going to pass on it.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-07, 02:46 PM   #19
six_storm
Registered User
 
six_storm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Nashvegas
Posts: 11,575
Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm
Default Re: Ubunt 7.10 is Out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_1
CF's release notes say it's still pretty buggy with Etch..I'm going to pass on it.
Ahh. I tried to get it to work when I had Debian installed on a junk PC but it never would budge. Oh well. I'm liking 7.10 on my laptop, it's very fast. I just wish my X3100 would work with CF. Guess I just gotta wait a little bit for support . . .
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-07, 03:28 PM   #20
grey_1
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Ubunt 7.10 is Out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by six_storm
Ahh. I tried to get it to work when I had Debian installed on a junk PC but it never would budge. Oh well. I'm liking 7.10 on my laptop, it's very fast. I just wish my X3100 would work with CF. Guess I just gotta wait a little bit for support . . .
I guess it can be made to work pretty well if you're running Sid, I may "Upgrade" later to it. I just know the end result...with me at the controls, of trying to work with a buggy compiz build. The gurus may not break a sweat, I would.

Glad that's working as you like on you laptop, and good luck with the gfx. Support may not be far off.
  Reply With Quote

Old 10-20-07, 03:52 PM   #21
six_storm
Registered User
 
six_storm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Nashvegas
Posts: 11,575
Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm
Default Re: Ubunt 7.10 is Out!

I finally got CF to work on my laptop. Turns out I didn't have xserver-xorg installed and it did the trick. CF works GREAT on my Intel X3100! Just for anybody with the same gfx card, DON'T enable reflection because X will freeze guaranteed. Once I disabled it, everything is peachy. Off to test some stability . . .

Now if I can only get it to sleep when the lid closes . . .
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-07, 09:38 PM   #22
six_storm
Registered User
 
six_storm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Nashvegas
Posts: 11,575
Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm
Default Re: Ubunt 7.10 is Out!

six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-07, 10:25 PM   #23
evilghost
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 3,606
Default Re: Ubunt 7.10 is Out!

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAhahahahahahHAHAHAHAH.

Six_storm, if you're going to obfuscate who you're talking to, you may want to take the time to obfuscate the window title too. I'm sure B3l0v3dAng3l122O would agree.
evilghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-07, 10:28 PM   #24
Phyre
Registered User
 
Phyre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Central Louisiana
Posts: 323
Default Re: Ubunt 7.10 is Out!

Come on, evil. You know you're bloodangel!!!!

Phyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:45 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.