Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-22-07, 12:17 PM   #1
wsuetholz

Default VGA to Component Video cable

Hello
I have an Asus A8N-VM CSM system board with the NVidia 6150 onboard, It has S-Video, Composite, VGA and DVI-D (Not DVI-I from what I understand). I was running a DVI-HDMI cable into my Samsung TX-R3079 TV, but for some reason the TV now claims that nothing is plugged into the HDMI port anymore. I have tried a different cable, but it still doesn't detect a signal. I was running 720p even though the TV indicates it will work with 1080i.

So, I'm trying to do VGA to component video. I did this a long time ago with an ATI video card so I have a VGA-Component cable not a converter. What settings do I need to set to get this to work. I'd really like to avoid spending $100-$200 for a converter (still cheaper than fixing the TV though). At least with the component video I have a DVD player that I can test with. I don't have anything else that produces HDMI. I also have a DVI to Component device, but I understand from reading about the board I have that It can't do Analog DVI, so that again is out without buying a converter.

The case I'm using doesn't allow the use of any addon cards.

I'm running AMD64 KUbuntu presently with the NVidia drivers.

Thanks for any help
wsuetholz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-07, 02:46 PM   #2
pe1chl

Default Re: VGA to Component Video cable

VGA is RGB, not Component.
Certain ATI cards can be switched to output Component video on the VGA output, so a simple cable can be used. Nvidia cards cannot do that.
So you need a RGB(HV) to YPbPr converter.
pe1chl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-07, 07:38 PM   #3
misterflibble

peich1l is absolutely correct about using VGA out: you would require a $100+ converter box to accomplish what you're asking.

However, I have this exact same motherboard; it has a component out header on it, and only requires a bracket to connect to it. I'm using the one found here:
http://www.vidabox.com/shop/index.ph...products_id=47

I believe I had to connect the pins slightly differently than in the diagram on that page, but it was quite simple, since the pins were listed in the motherboard manual. Hope this helps.
misterflibble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-07, 12:53 AM   #4
wsuetholz

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterflibble
peich1l is absolutely correct about using VGA out: you would require a $100+ converter box to accomplish what you're asking.

However, I have this exact same motherboard; it has a component out header on it, and only requires a bracket to connect to it. I'm using the one found here:
http://www.vidabox.com/shop/index.ph...products_id=47

I believe I had to connect the pins slightly differently than in the diagram on that page, but it was quite simple, since the pins were listed in the motherboard manual. Hope this helps.
Yes I see the difference in the pinouts.. I already have the Asus board for that, but it only has composite and svideo, not component and svideo. Will the component output work for 720p and 1080i, or is it only for 480p? What is the xorg.conf settings necessary to get it to work properly?

Thanks for your reply. This looks very interesting.

On the other hand, I've noticed in another thread comments about wiring a resistor to the DVI connector to make sure that the CLK pin gets enough voltage.. Do you think that could be what is wrong with my DVI to HDMI connection? If so, would one of those HDMI powered switch boxes bring up the voltages without me having to take a soldering iron to the system board? The DVI to HDMI was working for a while, and then suddenly stopped working.
Old 10-23-07, 11:04 AM   #5
misterflibble

The component output does work for 480p, 720p, and 1080i (and I think for 1080p as well). You don't define any modelines, however. You just set the TVStandard to HD1080i, and then set the resolution to "1920x1080" or the like. It's covered in the tv-out section of the README. One difference is that you can't switch modes between, say, 720p and 1080i output while running X. Nvidia said that this was a known bug, but it's never been fixed and it may even be a limitation of the tv-out. You're pretty much stuck using the proper resolution of the tv standard you use as well, so if overscan was something you compensated for with a modeline, that won't work.

I have no idea on the DVI connection, I was forced to get the component out bracket because I have a component-only tv. Have you tried connecting the board to a DVI LCD monitor to make sure that the fault isn't with the board itself rather than the convertor or tv?
misterflibble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-07, 09:10 AM   #6
wsuetholz

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterflibble
I have no idea on the DVI connection, I was forced to get the component out bracket because I have a component-only tv. Have you tried connecting the board to a DVI LCD monitor to make sure that the fault isn't with the board itself rather than the convertor or tv?
I have a HP LCD monitor that has DVI/SVideo/Composite/VGA inputs and I have tried it and it works OK on the DVI-Digital setting.

The cable came yesterday, and I reconfigured the connector on it, and component video 1080i mode is working now.. All I have to do now is deal with the overscan, but it looks a whole lot better than SVideo did.

Thanks for your help
Old 11-09-07, 04:51 PM   #7
wsuetholz

Interesting thing is that in WinMCE it is only giving me one color. Obviously something needs to be configured there, oh well, I don't really boot into it very often on this machine.