Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-20-07, 09:48 AM   #25
manwe_

Default Re: memory leak under compiz w/ 100.14.19

With --indirect-rendering you get huge decrease of speed (X uses AIGLX instead of nvidia's implementation). I have GeForce 7300 Go and Turion 1.8GHz, with indirect working on 1920x1200 is just impossible (huge CPU usage). Without indirect performance is ok (low CPU usage, no delays), but after 30 min I'm just out of RAM (compiz takes everything). It's not a solution, just a way to go around buggy drivers.
manwe_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-07, 04:44 PM   #26
jamesjones
NVIDIA Corporation

OK, first a few responses on semantics/nomanclature, since god kills a kitten every time someone confuses AIGLX with texture from pixmap, compiz, or nvidia's GLX implementation:

Quote:
I am using kubuntu Gutsy with compiz 0.6.1 running with AIGLX (100.14.19). "man compiz.real" states that --indirect-rendering and --strict-binding options should be used together with AIGLX
You've got it a bit backwards. You're probably, like many others, a bit confused about what "AIGLX" is exactly. "AIGLX" doesn't require --indirect-rendering. Specifying --indirect-rendering will cause compiz to use "AIGLX." See the explanation below.

Quote:
With --indirect-rendering you get huge decrease of speed (X uses AIGLX instead of nvidia's implementation)
Not true. Performance may be lower because not all OpenGL extensions are supported with indirect rendering or because indirect rendering is inherently slower, but NVIDIA's OpenGL implementation is used either way.

What many blogs/users/FAQs/wikis/guides refer to as "AIGLX" is the name (formerly a meaningful acronym) tacked on to some fine work done by the developers of the DRI/Mesa GLX implementation to add support for accelerated indirect rendering to DRI-based drivers. Previously, these drivers only supported hardware acceleration when direct rendering was used. The reason this is often confused with support for compiz is DRI-based drivers only support (as far as I know, and at the time of this post) GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap when using indirect rendering, making it near impossible to run compiz on these drivers without accelerated indirect rendering.

NVIDIA's drivers have always supported accelerated indirect rendering. Before people started associating the acronym AIGLX with compiz and texture from pixmap and the DRI project, we even used to call it AIGLX, but now we try not to just to keep the confusion down. In addition, our drivers support using the GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap extension with both direct and indirect rendering.

If people want to discuss this more or are still confused, start another thread and I'll try to clear up any remaining confusion or answer other random questions on the subject.

OK, sorry, now that I got that out of my system, can everyone still experiencing the problem post a full nvidia bug report generated using nvidia-bug-report.sh after reproducing the issue? There must be an additional bug somewhere since I can not reproduce this anymore on my test systems.
jamesjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-07, 06:46 PM   #27
Sblantipodi

Here my log.
Using Fedora 8, 8600M GT 256Mb/up to 1Gb TurboCache, 169.04 beta driver.

http://www.dpsoftware.org/host/nvidia-bug-report.txt

Compiz is faster on my GeForce 3 Ti500 with legacy driver in some cases...
Sometimes system hangs, no kernel panic, nothing, I need to power down my PC

Thanks for your work nvidia.

PS: Without --loose-binding compiz is really slower than my GeForce 3 Ti500.
Old 11-21-07, 06:50 PM   #28
Sblantipodi

sorry for double posting.
Old 11-22-07, 11:44 AM   #29
manwe_

OK, I think I've made important discovery - on 169.04 memory leak happens only when program is showed after hiding to systray [Opera, claws-mail, etc.]. At least on my system. Standard minimization seems to work OK - showing window takes ~2% of memory, but frees it after minimize.

Two reports from me - first with "fresh" compiz, and second after taking about 500MB of RAM.

If any more debugging or testing is needed just write how. I'll make it happily, to help fix this bug
Attached Files
File Type: bz2 nvidia-bug-report.end.log.bz2 (24.3 KB, 164 views)
File Type: bz2 nvidia-bug-report.start.log.bz2 (24.2 KB, 172 views)
Old 11-22-07, 08:25 PM   #30
ctheo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesjones
can everyone still experiencing the problem post a full nvidia bug report generated using nvidia-bug-report.sh after reproducing the issue? There must be an additional bug somewhere since I can not reproduce this anymore on my test systems.
running compiz --replace in kde with a few windows open (firefox, konsole) makes desktop unresponsive (can't move windows, type text; but can alt+f2 and type "kwin --replace" followed by keypress Enter --> during the typing the text isn't visible though)
Attached Files
File Type: gz memory leak.tar.gz (27.6 KB, 155 views)
ctheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-07, 09:06 PM   #31
ctheo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctheo
what would the experiment be?
I tried maximize/restore with single "ksysguard" window and didn't see any difference - both times memory usage (I was looking at "VMSize" tab) grow by 11MB
there has been an improvement (169.04 driver), but memory leak still happens:
VMSize of "compiz.real" in ksysguard = 140
VMSize of "compiz.real" after 20 maximize/restore of ksysguard window = 162
ctheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-07, 06:25 AM   #32
daskalos

Hi to all
My system:
Intel Prescott 2.8Ghz
Memory 1GB
VGA 7600GS 128MB

I have been using Nvidia 100.14.23 for a week now with compiz and emerald.
The distro is opensuse 10.3.
DISPLAY MANAGER set to Xorg and composite extension enabled.

No memory leak problem even after leaving the system 2 days on. My only problem was a somehow slow responsiveness, for example when updatind software repositories, when downloading many files at the same time, running google earth etc. I some cases moving the mouse was difficult and cpu usage was 100%.
After enabling xgl (gnome-xgl-switch) everyting was fine, very smooth mouse movement even under heavy usage. But after about 30-40 minutes, top showed xgl eating as much as 30% of my memory (300MB!!) and the systems was using swap memory. I cant believe this is normal.
Also I would like to ask with xgl enabled should I disable composite extension in xorg.conf;
Thanks
daskalos is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-29-07, 09:56 AM   #33
manwe_

Shameless bump, after week without answer from developers.
Old 12-03-07, 04:37 PM   #34
necromatter

Just wanted to chime in with my own specs:
Red Hat EL 5.1 (2.6.18-53.el5)
1GB Ram
Quadro NVS 110M (256MB)
Driver: 100.14.23
Compiz Fusion 0.5.2-0.2
Dual-monitor running separate X screens. Only running compiz on one. Using --loose-binding but not --indirect-rendering.

I was using the 100.14.19 but had the same results. Basically the compiz process starts at around 60-80MB memory usage and over a few hours grows to anywhere from 300-700MB until finally my machine is paging so much I have to kill the process, which restarts it and returns it to around 90MB again. Performance is fine otherwise. Desktop effects (wobble, cube, resizing) all working normally as long as I use the compiz-manager script to start it up and not the fusion-icon. The fusion-icon doesn't know how to run on only one DISPLAY and causes problems like sluggish window resizing.
necromatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-07, 04:21 AM   #35
aso3

Quote:
Originally Posted by necromatter
Just wanted to chime in with my own specs:
Red Hat EL 5.1 (2.6.18-53.el5)
1GB Ram
Quadro NVS 110M (256MB)
Driver: 100.14.23
Compiz Fusion 0.5.2-0.2
Dual-monitor running separate X screens. Only running compiz on one. Using --loose-binding but not --indirect-rendering.

I was using the 100.14.19 but had the same results. Basically the compiz process starts at around 60-80MB memory usage and over a few hours grows to anywhere from 300-700MB until finally my machine is paging so much I have to kill the process, which restarts it and returns it to around 90MB again. Performance is fine otherwise. Desktop effects (wobble, cube, resizing) all working normally as long as I use the compiz-manager script to start it up and not the fusion-icon. The fusion-icon doesn't know how to run on only one DISPLAY and causes problems like sluggish window resizing.
I also would like to add my 0.02 while playing around with versions of Ubuntu and compiz:

System specs:
amd X2 4400+ on a 590 mobo
2Gb ddr2-800
7300GT
Ubuntu Feisty, 1.0-9755 driver

Observations of compiz on:
1. Gutsy -- no luck with either 100.14.19 or 169.04 drivers. Compiz is totally unusable.
2. Feisty -- no luck with 169.04, works fine with 100.14.19 but with some occasional system crashes -- happens when a video app (xine, mythtv, etc) is launched.
3. Feisty on 1.0.9755 driver -- rock solid. Attachments are snapshots taken with MythTV, FireFox, Thunderbird, Gimp, etc.. running. Memory utilization tops at approx 600mb for all running processes, zero swap space used. Minimized/max'zed, launch and re-launched apps numerous times with no mem or performance hit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	snapshot1.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	29267  Click image for larger version

Name:	snapshot2.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	119.7 KB
ID:	29268  
aso3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-07, 03:59 AM   #36
ingegnerlillo

I'm writing back just to report that 3 of my friends experienced this problem on other 3 laptop with nvidia chipset.

New driver didn't solve anything.

Some news?
ingegnerlillo is offline   Reply With Quote