Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-22-07, 09:19 PM   #1
bgamari

Default S3 Suspend Failures

I recently upgraded to the 100.14.23 beta drivers in hopes that the various issues I have experienced with the 100.14.19 drivers have exhibited were fixed. All in all, these drivers are an improvement. 3D responsiveness in compiz appears to have improved greatly. Unfortunately, it seems that (to me) the most grave concern with these drivers, the frequent failures in power management support (especially with regards to S3 suspend) remain. While the resume process has seemingly sped up markedly (far less time is spent in card initialization and modesetting), I unfortunately can not claim that the process has been made any more reliable.

The machine (a Dell Latitude D820 with NVidia Quadro NVS 120 running kernel 2.6.23 and Xorg 1.4) still frequently locks up when resuming, leaving the machine in a hard hang with the Caps Lock and Scroll Lock keyboard leds blinking. The drivers also continue to exhibit a failure mode where the computer will behave as if it was cold booted instead of resuming. With both of these modes of failure, the overall rate of success for suspend/resume is less than 50%.

Whilte it's obvious that effort has been put into making suspend and resume more reliable (which, as a kernel developer, I recognize is a hard task), these drivers are still far from acceptable. NVidia employees, have you observed either of these failure modes in your test systems? Does your test group include a Latitude D820? Thank you very much,

- Ben
bgamari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-07, 08:18 AM   #2
bgamari

Default Re: S3 Suspend Failures

For the record, here's the output of nvidia-bug-report.sh.
Attached Files
File Type: log nvidia-bug-report.log (134.5 KB, 114 views)
Old 10-23-07, 11:57 AM   #3
energyman76b

and do you have the same problems without the nvidia drivers?

Last time I tried S3 (without nvidia drivers) I ended up with a damaged hard disk ...
energyman76b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-07, 12:36 PM   #4
bgamari

No, I do not. I have tested this thoroughly and have been posting about it on this forum for quite some time now (you can do a search if you want proof). Many people have had similar experiences to me. While suspend and resume is almost remotely reliable without 3D applications running, trying to suspend with compiz running is effectively a death sentence. With nv, however, I can suspend and resume to my heart's content with no failures.

I'm sorry your last experience with Linux power management was negative. However, if your last attempt was more than a few months ago, I would certainly try again. The kernel's ACPI code has been in a state of flux for some time now and has improved greatly. Effectively all failures in suspend at this point can be attributed to a bad BIOS (which are getting fewer by the day) or a driver (most mainstream open-source drivers are pretty good at this point, however). At this point, the only thing holding me back from completely suspend/resume reliability is the nvidia driver. While this might not seem like a big deal to a desktop user, I find S3 to be essential to the portability of my laptop.
Old 10-24-07, 10:37 AM   #5
bgamari

No one with any input here? I have been observing the rebooting issue ever since nvidia suspend support became reliable enough to survive multiple suspend/resume cycles. The blinking LEDs on the other hand seem to be new. Input from nvidia would be appreciated. Thanks,

- Ben
Old 10-24-07, 12:38 PM   #6
longshot-nm

I have S3 working on an HP dv6125se with the .19 Nvidia 64 bit drivers on OpenSuSE 10.3 with compiz-fusion running. I do have to use the -fr (don't ask why, but the radeon switch was needed to make it work). I have had this working for the last 4 weeks.

Video chip is a 6150.
longshot-nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-07, 09:38 PM   #7
bgamari

@longshot-lm:

I suspect I problem is specific to my hardware series (the NVS 120 is detected by the driver as a Geforce 7300). However what do you mean by -fr? As far as I can tell from compiz --help, compiz has no -fr option. Thanks,

- Ben
Old 10-25-07, 06:17 AM   #8
longshot-nm

It is the switch for s2ram i.e. s2ram -fr
longshot-nm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-29-07, 09:20 AM   #9
bgamari

Could someone from NVidia please comment on whether these problems are known and reproducible? These bugs have persisted in multiple driver releases and yet suspend and resume is perfectly usable with nv. Thanks again,

- Ben
Old 10-29-07, 09:23 PM   #10
mintSlice

I'm seeing similar problems.

Most commonly, when I resume I see my mouse cursor on a black screen. The cursor is aware of the desktop as it changes as it moves over different parts of the screen.

If I limit what I do, I can usually press CTRL-ALT-BKSP and restart X. When I do this the desktop appears and then X restarts.

If I do too much typing or pressing keys before restarting X then it usually locks up and needs a hard reboot (holding down the power key) to do anything.

lspci shows I'm using a

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV41.8 [GeForce Go 6800] (rev a2)

and I'm using

kernel-2.6.23.1-37.fc8
xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-100.14.19-3.lvn8
kmod-nvidia-2.6.23.1-37.fc8-100.14.19-14.lvn8

on Fedora rawhide (soon to be F8) and pulling nvidia drivers from livna.

For me, suspend/resume worked beautifully in f7 (until a couple of weeks ago when I stopped using it, but I'm going to test it again as soon as I'm finished these comments to see if it's something kernel or distro version related).
mintSlice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-07, 11:35 PM   #11
bgamari

I have seen this issue before as well. I think it's a problem with texture reloading as when I kill gnome-screensaver, the desktop beneath is fine (although sometimes windows show up white until I force them to redraw). However, the problem I am primarily seeing now appears to be occurring as the drivers are reinitializing the card. The screen begins to blink, indicating modesetting is taking place, but the machine never gets to a usable state and instead after 10 seconds or so of a black screen, the kernel panics and the lock leds start blinking. This unfortunately (and frustratingly) happens quite often.

Anyways, it seems like NVidia is intent on shoving this issue aside. Oh well, they just lost another customer. My new laptop will have an Intel GMA anyways. To those NVidia employees who do patrol these forums, good job and thanks for the help you have been able to provide, good luck in the future, and please make sure your employer knows that if they are ever willing to provide specifications, they have at least one user back and maybe even a driver deveoper. But until then, I'm out of this hell-hole!

mintSlice, thanks again for the response,

- Ben
Old 10-30-07, 06:37 AM   #12
peter.marks

Ben, I've only been looking at this problem for a few days, but it seems (for me at least) it is down to a problem with Sync to VBlank in compiz. If I turn this setting off or turn compiz off, suspend/resume and switching back from a vt (ctrl-alt-f7) are fine. Otherwise I get a black screen with just a mouse cursor that is still responsive, or sometimes a hang with a completely black screen.

Does this experience match with yours? Your experience with Linux is obviously far greater than mine, do you know of any way to execute some code before the X screen is switched away from and some other code when the X screen is restored? I have commands to execute at each of these points, but I can't find a way to get them run.

I seem to now have a stable system, but windows tear badly without the sync to vblank.
peter.marks is offline   Reply With Quote