Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Home Theater A/V

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-24-07, 11:28 PM   #25
evilchris

Default Re: Plasma Burn In & Gaming

RPTV's are dark in stores because there are blinding lights above. If an LCD or Plasma "looks good" to you in an electronics store, it is setup like crap and producing completely off spectrum, inaccurate colors. Humans don't have orange skin in my world.

If you prefer accurate colors, deep blacks, and the highest picture fidelity RPTV > everything else. You will require some light control in order for them to look their best. No, "pitch black" is not necessary. The bonus of an RPTV is you get a better TV for less money since you can't hang it over your fireplace.
Old 10-24-07, 11:31 PM   #26
evilchris

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaWolf_HK

One other thing I didn't bring up though, is every 1,000 to 2,000 hours you have to buy a new bulb for DLP units.
Totally false. I have 2532 hours on my 180W bulb that is in my Sony KDS-R70XBR2. It is an LCoS screen but bulbs are bulbs. That is the actual counter from the service menu. Still perfectly bright, no loss. The TV came with a spare so it will be at least another 2 years or so before I need to buy one.
Old 10-24-07, 11:35 PM   #27
evilchris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyme
I don't find that to be as true as it once was. Rear projection tv's were horrible in daylight and still are. DLP sets are quite comparable to both LCD and Plasma. When I say DLP, I specifically mean the sets that have the Toshiba Digital Light Projection engine in them, and not the comparable ones by Sony or other manufacturers.
DLP sets *are* rear projection. Sony has no DLP sets and never has. They use LCoS which is a better technology than DLP for RP but more expensive. LCoS murders DLP in black levels, contrast, and color tracking accuracy. Rear projection can be LCD, CRT, DLP, or LCoS. Sony has done LCD RP ( 3LCD ) and LCoS ( SXRD ). Mistubishi used 9" CRT guns in their last CRT RP's, then went LCoS RP with their 80" Alpha, and now uses DLP RP.
Old 10-25-07, 02:07 AM   #28
Rakeesh

Quote:
Not really, the lightsource is typically a halogen light that is routed through the Liquid Crystal Display and then to you. Plasma would be the only one where you are looking directly at the display source.
Well that depends on your definition of it. In general, direct view means any display that doesn't involve you looking at a reflection of another light source, or some kind of shade that sits between the light source and the viewer, which is what any projected display is going to have. LCD fits under the common definition of direct view (except projection LCD which is a different thing.)

Quote:
The pixel size on a 1:1 LCD and 1:1 DLP of the same size, is rougly the same size.
Huh? That was in response to something specific to LCD, I am not sure what your comparison is here.

Quote:
I don't find that to be as true as it once was. Rear projection tv's were horrible in daylight and still are. DLP sets are quite comparable to both LCD and Plasma. When I say DLP, I specifically mean the sets that have the Toshiba Digital Light Projection engine in them, and not the comparable ones by Sony or other manufacturers.
I haven't yet seen any DLP setups in the mid to low price range that beat similarly priced LCD's in this area.

Quote:
It is rated at 8,000 hours and the LED ones are rated even longer. However that being said, while real world tests and statistical analysis can give you a general indicator of how long something likely should last, this indicatore does not infer how long something will actually last. As such my dlp set bought in 2004 is still on the same bulb and we use it significantly more than eight hours a day, every day.
http://tv.about.com/od/dlp/a/DLPprojlamp.htm

Quote:
How long does a DLP projection lamp usually last?

It is safe to list the lamp life for most DLP front and rear projection televisions between 1000 and 2000 hours. I know that’s a cop out, but it’s hard to nail down a direct length of time. Some lamps might last only 500 hours while others may last 3000 hours. The window is so broad because no one knows for sure how long one lamp will last versus another. They’re like light bulbs, and depending on how you use them, some will just last longer.

To put it simply, if you watched television three hours a day the lamp would last approximately 333 days at the 1000-hour lamp life and 666 days at the 2000-hour lamp life. That’s pretty realistic because most people will want/need to replace their lamp every 1-2 years, but there are stories of people replacing a lamp every 6-8 months or every 3-4 years.

How do I know when it is time to replace my lamp?

Trust me, you’ll know. The screen will lose its brightness and appear dim. You won’t necessarily have to replace the lamp when you notice the dimming. Some people might wait until the bitter end to install a new lamp while others will have one in reserve waiting for the screen to dim. It’s a matter of choice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Am_I_Evil
where do you come up with these numbers?
See above, but that is by far not the first place I have heard this from.

Core i7 2600k 4.4Ghz 1.385v | Corsair H60 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 8-8-8-24 | MSI P67A-G45 | OCZ Vertex 3 | Sapphire 7850 OC to Max settings

Rakeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-07, 01:00 PM   #29
Lyme

Quote:
Well that depends on your definition of it. In general, direct view means any display that doesn't involve you looking at a reflection of another light source, or some kind of shade that sits between the light source and the viewer, which is what any projected display is going to have. LCD fits under the common definition of direct view (except projection LCD which is a different thing.)
The way a LCD works is by putting the liquid crystal matrix between the light source and the viewer. Anyhow, it isn't really important.

Quote:
http://tv.about.com/od/dlp/a/DLPprojlamp.htm

See above, but that is by far not the first place I have heard this from.
I do not disbute or argue the numbers they offer on typical bulb life length, however, I still stand by my position that simply because they approximate that the bulbs have those characteristics, that those characteristics will pan out as such in real life.

Anyhow, some other interesting information.

As plasma screens go, the first day you turn it on is the brightest and most vibrant it will ever be. As you reach the mid point of the life of the plasma screen, both will be reduced by half. Typically in a plasma screen the blue colour will be the first to fail, and there is no way to fix or repair the device.

As far as LCD screens go, they will follow the same characteristics as LCD monitors (which we are all familiar with). When the bulb in the LCD goes, it typically is difficult for the consumer to replace the bulb on their own, but not impossible. In addition LCD's may suffer from dead and/or stuck pixels, which may develop later in life.

DLP sets, which typically are the heaviest, and require the most depth have a number of positives and drawbacks. One of the largest problems with DLP sets is that the word "DLP" is used to refer to a wide range of products including the traditional rear-projection sets. The older rear projection tv's, those by Sony using a three lcd projection, and those made by magnavox, are not DLP sets and have wildly different characteristics.
Lyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-07, 01:10 PM   #30
Rakeesh

Quote:
The way a LCD works is by putting the liquid crystal matrix between the light source and the viewer. Anyhow, it isn't really important.
It is still direct view, you are looking at a what is better described as a complex filter, as opposed to a shade.

Quote:
As far as LCD screens go, they will follow the same characteristics as LCD monitors (which we are all familiar with). When the bulb in the LCD goes, it typically is difficult for the consumer to replace the bulb on their own, but not impossible. In addition LCD's may suffer from dead and/or stuck pixels, which may develop later in life.
Most of the time pixels that "develop later" were really there the entire time, just the person never noticed it.

Quote:
One of the largest problems with DLP sets is that the word "DLP" is used to refer to a wide range of products including the traditional rear-projection sets. The older rear projection tv's, those by Sony using a three lcd projection, and those made by magnavox, are not DLP sets and have wildly different characteristics.
I've never heard of any LCD based displays being advertised as DLP. Texas Instruments owns the DLP trademark, and I don't think they would allow somebody to call it DLP unless it was based on their DMD technology. I've never heard of it happening anyways, and I wouldn't be surprised if TI sued somebody over it if they did.

http://www.dlp.com/about_us/trademark.aspx

Core i7 2600k 4.4Ghz 1.385v | Corsair H60 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 8-8-8-24 | MSI P67A-G45 | OCZ Vertex 3 | Sapphire 7850 OC to Max settings

Old 10-25-07, 05:31 PM   #31
Lyme

Quote:
Most of the time pixels that "develop later" were really there the entire time, just the person never noticed it.
Possibly, however sometimes they simply break over time.

Quote:
I've never heard of any LCD based displays being advertised as DLP. Texas Instruments owns the DLP trademark, and I don't think they would allow somebody to call it DLP unless it was based on their DMD technology. I've never heard of it happening anyways, and I wouldn't be surprised if TI sued somebody over it if they did.

http://www.dlp.com/about_us/trademark.aspx
I should have been much more specific. Sometimes consumers will refer to rear projection systems like the method Sony employs as DLP. What Sony does for their rear projection systems is focuses a light source through three LCD filters (RGB), then reflect off the mirror on the back of the unit and onto the screen.
Lyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-07, 06:18 PM   #32
evilchris

Quote:

I should have been much more specific. Sometimes consumers will refer to rear projection systems like the method Sony employs as DLP. What Sony does for their rear projection systems is focuses a light source through three LCD filters (RGB), then reflect off the mirror on the back of the unit and onto the screen.
Sony no longer employs 3LCD.

Old 10-26-07, 04:12 PM   #33
Rakeesh

Quote:
That would be extremely rare though. I've heard of it supposedly happening, but in order for this to happen, some component (either the pixel itself or the transistors leading to it) would have to decay or burn out. The possibility of either happening is extremely unlikely.

Old 10-26-07, 04:26 PM   #34
ENU291
Die spammer!! DIE!!!

Send a message via AIM to ENU291 Send a message via Yahoo to ENU291

Quote:

As evilchris mentioned Sony no longer manufactures LCD rear projection HDTVs. They employ Liquid crystal on silicon (LCoS) technology with all of there rear projection models. JVC also uses a version of this tech (JVC/D-ILA & Sony/SXRD). It is very similar to DLP (TI) but some say that the increased pixel count actually produces a better picture then DLP. You'd be amazed at how micro projection technology has evolved in the past 5 years. The latest models produce a fantastic picture with top notch IQ.

http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/News/Pr...00302/03-008E/
EVGA 8800GTX; Asus MSN-SLI Deluxe mobo; Athlon X2 5200+(225X13/2.93GHZ); Corsair XMS TWIN2X (1024X4); WD Raptor 150GB HD; MAXTOR 500GB HD; CL X-Fi XtremeGamer; Xbox360 HD-DVD; Plextor 18X DVD-RW/+RW; Dell 2707WFP

Registered Linux User # 444118 Xbox360 GamerTag: StryderXx PSN ID: StryderXx

Quote:
Originally Posted by nVJoe
Gamers are the most unhappy and miserable consumer group I know of. Just sit back, relax and have fun.
ENU291 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-08, 10:26 PM   #35
betterdan

Just wanted to post an update that the bulb blew in our DLP set last Thursday. We bought it in November of 06 so we have had it approximately 485 days. The bulb is covered under the warranty but the repairman is taking his sweet time getting us a bulb so I ordered one myself as a backup and put it in tonight. It cost $150 with free 2 day shipping and 1 year warranty from www.dlplampxpress.com so not a bad price really and it was super easy to replace.
When I replaced the bulb tonight I checked in the tv's menu and it had 5487 hours on the original bulb. So that equals out to about 11.3 hours a day every day since we bought it that it has been on. LOL we really need to turn that thing off once in a while.
Old 04-07-09, 06:38 PM   #36
betterdan

Well it's been one year ago that I replaced the bulb in our DLP set and now the replacement bulb has blown. Luckily DLP Xpress has a one year warranty on bulbs and they are replacing it for free. I also bought another bulb as a backup this time for $139.