Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-26-07, 10:30 AM   #13
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: Draw Distance Issue

I'd suggest reporting this to the wine developers to start.
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-07, 10:33 AM   #14
DrSuSE

Absolutely! Any advice on the wording? I'd like to give them enough information to give them somewhere to start looking since it only effects certain video cards I guess (i.e. my 7900s are fine but the 8600s are not)?

I'll open up with as detailed a description as I can for now, and add to it if you have an idea of some info to give them.
DrSuSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-07, 10:35 AM   #15
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

I think what you've reported here should be sufficient. If they require additional information, they'll let you know. If the wine developers feel that this is not a wine bug, we can investigate further from the driver side.
Old 10-26-07, 07:13 PM   #16
DrSuSE

I haven't heard back regarding the WINE report yet, but just FYI... WINE 0.9.48 released today, no change... also tried going back to 0.9.47 and 0.9.46, all versions had the same problem. The only way to make it work properly seems to switch back to the 7900s, it really seems like something driver related, I think.
Old 10-27-07, 08:38 AM   #17
DrSuSE

The WINE team did respond to my ticket, essentially suggesting I try the same things you did, but stating that it was definitely not a WINE issue.

Quote:
Our opengl code (except for some code to initialise opengl) only forwards to the native opengl.
Please let me know what the next step should be, and if there is anything more I might do to help.

Thank you.
Old 10-27-07, 05:20 PM   #18
DrSuSE

netllama,

I couldn't really test before due to performance issues, but I removed addons and such and tried WoW in d3d mode instead of opengl, and I do NOT have the issue in d3d... performance just makes it unplayable.

I hope this helps somehow.

Thanks.
Old 10-29-07, 10:23 AM   #19
DrSuSE

netllama,

If you could please let me know where we're at on this issue, I would greatly appreciate it. I know things don't always happen overnight, so even if it's just to tell me that it's being looked into, that'd be great.

Playing the game with this problem is annoying to say the least, so it makes me impatient whenever I login. :-P Sorry!
Old 10-29-07, 10:38 AM   #20
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

We're going to attempt to reproduce this problem. An update will be posted if/when we can reproduce it, and a bug will be opened at that time.

thanks for your patience,
Lonni

Old 10-29-07, 10:41 AM   #21
DrSuSE

Thank you very very much, Lonni. I will sit back and hope that the issue is easily found and resolved.

Take care,

Dave
Old 11-05-07, 02:24 PM   #22
DrSuSE

Would it be possible for me to get an update on this? I am not sure what the normal timeline for this sort of thing looks like, but I am curious if you were able to reproduce and/or identify an issue.

Thank you.
Old 11-05-07, 09:36 PM   #23
RolandH
NVIDIA Corporation

DrSuSE,

I'm working on reproducing this issue on G8x hardware. I see trees and other objects in the distance that are gray, but I observe the same thing in both 100.14.11 and 100.14.19.

Can you provide a screenshot that shows the problem?

Thanks,
Roland
NVIDIA
RolandH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-07, 12:17 AM   #24
DrSuSE

Roland,

Thank you for the reply. I can definitely take some screenshots tomorrow evening. I am not sure they will show exactly the issue, though. In addition to the grey items/etc, the terrain in the further distance also gets drawn so slow that I see it happening (where as with the 7900s it faded in as I got closer and looked MUCH more natural).

Yes, I have the issue with both those drivers as well, the only way I can make the issue go away, is to swap back to the 7900s which do not exhibit the problem.

Thank you again,

Dave

Edit: Not sure if you're able to try it with G7x hardware or not, but that would probably show you the difference more clearly than a screenshot.