Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-30-07, 12:07 PM   #121
LORD-eX-Bu
Horus the pointy master

Default Re: The Witcher feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by crainger
LOL So far the hardest quest for me was "The Party' LOL Kept bringing the wrong guests and/or getting too drunk and getting kicked out. Got it in the end though
hold up, how did you bring the wrong guests? I just had one choice, I got hammered there but I used the little potion you get from the waitress I think so I was sober and could get some info from that guy that didn't talk
Old 10-30-07, 12:46 PM   #122
ErrantShadow

To get EAX working you need to add an entry into ALchemy.

1. Open up Creative ALchemy and click add.
2. Enter the following data:

Game Title: The Witcher
Select Use Registry patch.
Enter the follwoing: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\CD Projekt Red\The Witcher\InstallFolder
Select install into Sub Folder.
Enter the following: System

As for the settings section, this is what worked for me.
Buffers: 6 (was originally set to 4, raised it to 6 to stop audio distortion, if distortion still occurs, try altering this value)
Duration 5: (If the game plays the first second of audio then plays the full length of the same sound, try altering this value, anything above 5 caused this for me)
Maximum Voice Count: 128

Here's a picture of what the profile should look like when you're finished

Then just move the Witcher profile over to ALchemy-enabled games.

Hope this helps.

Oh, one more thing, every time I restart the game, it seems to disable EAX even though the option is still checked. To get around this, uncheck the EAX option, click accept, then recheck the EAX option and click accept again.

Edited post to update ALchemy settings. New settings fixed an issue with audio distortion in the game.
ErrantShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-07, 01:21 PM   #123
DRen72
Eastern Pipistrelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErrantShadow
To get EAX working you need to add an entry into ALchemy....
Sweet. Thanks! I will try it as soon as my imported copy arrives.
Storage: Corsair Force Series GT 265GB SSD / Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB / Two Seagate Barracuda 1.5TB drives
Optical Storage: Pioneer BDR-206DBKS
Sound: Sound Blaster X-Fi / Logitech Z-5500
Other: Antec P183 Case / Corsair AX-1200 Power Supply / Logitech G5 (v2.0) / Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000
Console: XBox 360 Elite
DRen72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-07, 01:24 PM   #124
DRen72
Eastern Pipistrelle

Sorry. Ignore this message. PC went nuts.
Storage: Corsair Force Series GT 265GB SSD / Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB / Two Seagate Barracuda 1.5TB drives
Other: Antec P183 Case / Corsair AX-1200 Power Supply / Logitech G5 (v2.0) / Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000
Old 10-30-07, 01:25 PM   #125
DRen72
Eastern Pipistrelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladestorm
What kind of FPS are you guys with a 8800GTX getting? At times it dips below 20fps with my PC running at 1920x1080. I have it set to mostly high settings with 2xaa and 8xaf It's not constant, but enough to be annoying. I'm using XP 32bit, and the newest beta drivers.
Check your nvidia control panel settings. Maybe you have SSAA set instead of MSAA?
Old 10-30-07, 01:57 PM   #126
Abraxus#

I'm really enjoying this game so far, just played through the initial castle. Some points to note:

1. The graphics, particularly the textures, are some of the best i've seen, when you zoom in from far out isometric to ots and see the individual bristles on someones' face it's pretty impressive.

2. The combat is way duller than the dev' diaries made out. Pretty much just clicking repeatedly when the icon shows up. I suppose it's better than just clicking...

3. It seems very polished for a game from a new dev' - all the hud is really nice and I haven't noticed any graphical glitchs or very poor perfomance.

4. I like the slimmed down weapons system (2 swords plus 2 others and none in the inventory), searching for the best weapons always irritated me in games like Dungeon Siege, where you have hundreds.

5. Some of the dialogue is a bit goofy but not nearly as bad as I was expecting from an eastern european developer.

Overall it seems pretty awesome, there just aren't enough good RPG's these days...back to playing!
EVGA GTX 260 216
Intel X25M G2 160GB SSD
X-Fi Xtreme Music
Corsair TX 650
Samsung SM226BW
Abraxus# is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-07, 03:46 PM   #127
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan9
Crainger how is the loading times with 4gb compared to 2gb?? I presumed you have played it with both now.
I can't say really. I installed the RAM, then 1.1a patch which is also meant to decrease load times. Whatever I did it made the load times much much faster.
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-07, 03:47 PM   #128
crainger

Quote:
Originally Posted by LORD-eX-Bu
hold up, how did you bring the wrong guests? I just had one choice, I got hammered there but I used the little potion you get from the waitress I think so I was sober and could get some info from that guy that didn't talk
I had 3. The Mistress, The Knight and the Dwarf. I guess there were others like the Alchemist, but i didn't ask him. I wont say which one lead me to the ending.

Old 10-30-07, 05:31 PM   #129
LORD-eX-Bu
Horus the pointy master

no worries, I got the also
Old 10-30-07, 05:43 PM   #130
crainger

LOL I love the humour in all of the sex scenes. I ROFL when I saw the dust falling on the old ladies head.
Old 10-30-07, 06:27 PM   #131
Jonelo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abraxus#
I'm really enjoying this game so far, just played through the initial castle. Some points to note:

1. The graphics, particularly the textures, are some of the best i've seen, when you zoom in from far out isometric to ots and see the individual bristles on someones' face it's pretty impressive.

2. The combat is way duller than the dev' diaries made out. Pretty much just clicking repeatedly when the icon shows up. I suppose it's better than just clicking...

3. It seems very polished for a game from a new dev' - all the hud is really nice and I haven't noticed any graphical glitchs or very poor perfomance.

4. I like the slimmed down weapons system (2 swords plus 2 others and none in the inventory), searching for the best weapons always irritated me in games like Dungeon Siege, where you have hundreds.

5. Some of the dialogue is a bit goofy but not nearly as bad as I was expecting from an eastern european developer.

Overall it seems pretty awesome, there just aren't enough good RPG's these days...back to playing!
About the dialogue, The Whicher , of the polish autor Andrzej Sapkowski is one famous saga of novels in Center Europa , an also in Continental Europa , and the storyline and dialoges has a great literary substrate. The saga of novels not has one translation to english

The developer also is polish , and maybe in the translation is the danger .

http://witcher.wikia.com/wiki/Witcher_series

Quote:
Setting and story

Both short stories and novels are widely claimed by fans to be blockbusters of Polish fantasy. Geralt stories are appraised for slightly ironic sense of humor and subtle links to modern culture (e.g. one of the wizards taking part in the Gathering of the Wizards is constantly complying about "ecological" issues). Moreover, quite contrary to the classical fantasy scheme, there is no black-white partitioning. On the other hand, Geralt's world is nor a typical dark-fantasy (where all characters are more or less evil). Sapkowski tries to emphasize the scale of grays in everyone (e.g. one of the local rulers engaged in incestous relation with own sister shows as caring father - at least according to Geralt's world standards).

Quote:
The main character of The Witcher (alternative translation: The Hexer) is Geralt, a mutant assassin who has been trained since childhood to hunt down and destroy monsters. Geralt exists in an ambiguous moral universe, yet manages to maintain his own coherent code of ethics. At the same time cynical and noble, Geralt has been compared to Raymond Chandler's signature character Philip Marlowe. The world in which these adventures take place owes much to J.R.R. Tolkien, while being also heavily influenced by Polish history and Slavic mythology.
Progress in the game , the dialoge and storyline is very strong , better than most of RPGs.
Jonelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-07, 09:47 PM   #132
DRen72
Eastern Pipistrelle

My import copy arrived from GoGamer today.