Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-26-07, 02:35 PM   #1
mfeif

Default problem with gdm switching 100.14.19

Hello.

I'm using a fresh install of Ubuntu/Gutsy/x86_64. I've got an 8600GTS and an Intel Core-duo cpu. I'm using the Ubuntu-packaged nvidia driver (not 'nv'... 'nvidia' version) of full version "100.14.19+2.6.22.4-14.9". My kernel is 2.6.22-14-generic stock. My system is up-to-date as of today.

Everything is basically working ok, including "Desktop Effects".

I do have a problem when switching users, either via the "fast-user-switching" applet or via a Applications > System Tools > New Login. When I do that, GDM comes up, I can login as another user, the desktop comes up, so far so good...

But when I try to log that user (the second user) out or switch back to the first, I get a hung X server. SOMETIMES I can do CTRL-ALT-minus to change resolutions, but oddly enough I can't kill the server with CTRL-ALT-backspace. The screen looks mostly black, with a corner filled with the old root window color, and the mouse pointer is visible and active (I can move it). Once, I saw a fragment of a window in the non-black portion, and noticed that it moved when I moved the mouse pointer... in the same way as it does when you have a bigger desktop than your viewport and you hit the edge of your viewport with the mouse.

Though I can't kill the Xserver or move to another tty, I CAN log in via ssh and stop/restart gdm. No errors appear in the Xorg or gdm logs. I've attached the nvidia-bug-report.log but I can't start X in the special mode you requested, as X is starting from gdm, not "startx".

I see some others in various Ubuntu forums are having similar problems. One user suggested that turning off "desktop" effects helped; I have not yet been able to verify or contradict this.

Thanks!
Attached Files
File Type: bz2 nvidia-bug-report.log.bz2 (23.4 KB, 73 views)
mfeif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-07, 01:54 AM   #2
FuturePilot

Default Re: problem with gdm switching 100.14.19

Sounds like this
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...er/+bug/112518
FuturePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-08, 09:17 AM   #3
OkropNick

Default Re: problem with gdm switching 100.14.19

Hi all,

It's my first post.

I have similar problem with one exception. I don't have system crash, only white screen. I can switch to tty or even login.

Here is my hardware:

CPU: Intel Pentium D dual core (2x 3GHz)
GPU: GeForce 8600GT (driver v.169.12)

Here is described how to reproduce bug:

1. Log in as desktop user A
2. Switch to desktop user B
3. Log off user B

Now I have only white screen (looks like unrefreshed)

I can still back to user A session by blindly typing user's A password, I can also switch to any tty, but there is no way so far to login other desktop user than user A, because I can't see anything on screen - whole screen is completly white. Only thing to do is to restart x server.

I'm using compiz-fuzion and it seems to be Nvidia driver error, because I didn't have this problem with ATI graphic card.

I saw that many users has the same problem.

Any hints?

I can provide any informations. The nvidia log is also attached.

Thank you
Attached Files
File Type: zip nvidia-bug-report.log.zip (32.1 KB, 70 views)
OkropNick is offline   Reply With Quote