Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-30-07, 12:39 AM   #13
Armedblade

Default Re: how to configure DVI overscan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by crow
I know exactly what you mean. My HDTV does lots of overscan, even with DVI input. Here's what I found works, which is a little odd at 1152x672, but that's what my TV is happy with. I don't remember where I found the trick for doing this, but it's based on math off of the regular mode line. Perhaps you can reverse the math that I did, then adjust it for your needs?
Code:
ModeLine "720p" 74.25 1280 1390 1430 1650 720 725 730 750
# Inside the 720p, we want a window that is:  1152x672+64+24
# That means we want 64 fewer pixels on each side:
# 1152 1326 1366 1650
# And 24 fewer lines at the top and bottom:
# 672 701 706 750
ModeLine "1152x672" 74.25 1152 1326 1366 1650 672 701 706 750
Do you know of anyway to tell what the horizontal/vertical sync rates would be just by looking at the modeline? I think i tried this one (switched to be interlaced) and the drivers stated it was in the 70's for horizontal. I feel the drivers are actually doubling the real value, but either way I can sync to any custom modelines that I try. This happens with any interlace modelines.
Armedblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-07, 08:28 AM   #14
eyal

"Do you know of anyway to tell what the horizontal/vertical sync rates would be just by looking at the modeline?"

Each modeline has these numbers
PCLK HR HSS HSE HFL VR VSS VSE VFL

You multiply the frame width and height (HFLxVFL) to get the pixels in a full frame (includes blanking zones). If you divide the clock (PCLK is in MHz) by the pixels you get the refresh rate (KHz). So in the above example
74.25 1152 1326 1366 1650 672 701 706 750
1650x750=1237500
74.25MHz/1237500=60.00
eyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-07, 08:37 AM   #15
eyal

I made some progress. I found that using the 'nv' driver I can use a reduced size mode which does display properly on the full screen.

I could not get 'nvidia' to accept the same modeline - it reported "no valid modes for 720p60" but did not say why it rejected my modeline.

BTW, the nvidia driver crashes the system for me, a known problem on x86_64 it seems, but I hope that this will be resolved by the time I manage a working setup. The 'nv' driver has an issue too where it shows (in mythtv) bright colours in the whiter parts on the image - but only when mythtv is in the foreground. The colours are correct if another window has the focus. Go figure.
Old 10-31-07, 09:13 PM   #16
Armedblade

You should be able to startx -- -logverbose 6 and the driver should elaborate on why it invalidated any of the modes. Have you tried that?
Old 11-01-07, 05:42 AM   #17
eyal

Thanks, "-logverbose 6" helps here. It seems that it assumed (by default) that the panel is 640x480 and the mode was too large.

I adjusted xorg.conf to use EDID and it now accepts the 1192x672 mode. However it displays it such that large margins are invisible. The 'nv' driver does not do that, it displays 1192x672 onto the visible part.

[later]
My 'nv' xorg.conf has
Option "FPScale" "no"
that 'nvidia' does not support. It is responsible for producing the good mode. Without it I get a similar loss of margins as 'nvidia'.

Anyone knows how I can get this effect with 'nvidia'?

TIA
Old 11-01-07, 09:33 PM   #18
Armedblade

nv driver manpage
Option "FPScale" "boolean"
Supported only on GeForce4 and newer chips, this option tells to the driver to scale lower resolutions up to the flat panel's native resolution. Default: on.

nvidia driver readme
Option "FlatPanelProperties" "string"
This option requests particular properties for all or a subset of the connected flat panels.

The option string is a semicolon-separated list of comma-separated property=value pairs. Each list of property=value pairs can optionally be prepended with a flat panel name.

"<DFP-0>: <property=value>, <property=value>; <DFP-1>: <property=value>; ..."

Recognized properties:

"Scaling": controls the flat panel scaling mode; possible values are: 'Default' (the driver will use whichever scaling state is current), 'Native' (the driver will use the flat panel's scaler, if possible), 'Scaled' (the driver will use the NVIDIA GPU's scaler, if possible), 'Centered' (the driver will center the image, if possible), and 'aspect-scaled' (the X driver will scale with the NVIDIA GPU's scaler, but keep the aspect ratio correct).

"Dithering": controls the flat panel dithering mode; possible values are: 'Default' (the driver will decide when to dither), 'Enabled' (the driver will always dither, if possible), and 'Disabled' (the driver will never dither).

Examples:

Option "FlatPanelProperties" "Scaling = Centered"

set the flat panel scaling mode to centered on all flat panels.

Option "FlatPanelProperties" "DFP-0: Scaling = Centered; DFP-1: Scaling = Scaled, Dithering = Enabled"

set DFP-0's scaling mode to centered, set DFP-1's scaling mode to scaled and its dithering mode to enabled.

my guess is the Xorg log will tell you something about Scaling. My bet is that its scaling back to native. I don't see that it can be turned off unless this 'Default' scaling state listed above is configurable elsewhere.

Perhaps you could try centered??
Old 11-02-07, 05:46 AM   #19
eyal

Yes, "centered" did the trick. Took a a while to test this because the nvidia driver crashes the machine all the time (F7 x86_64 on AMD Athlon 64 3500+).

Once the crash is fixed I will have a good, working mythtv frontend.

Thanks everyone, especially Armedblade.
Old 11-12-07, 04:21 AM   #20
eyal

Since I complained about the nvidia driver crashing, it is proper for me to report that I have recently upgraded to Fedora 8 and the crashes are gone. Installed are packages
versions 100.14.19-22.

Old 12-21-07, 08:39 AM   #21
]grimm[

Sorry to bump up an old thread, but what was the final solution here? Eyal, were you able to get your TV to properly display a non-overscanned image with a custom modeline? I'm suffering from the same problem with my TV. I connected someone else's windows machine to my HDTV and found that it can properly display an 1824x1024 image without losing the edges of the screen. I can't figure out how to get this to work with the nvidia driver. Although I found someone else's modeline for this resolution on another forum, I'd be grateful if someone could help me figure out what my modeline should be.

My other problem is simply figuring out how to get the modeline into the monitor section for my TV. I'm connecting a laptop to the HDTV, so the laptop's LCD seems to be recognized as DFP-0 by default, and using the nvidia-settings tool can activate the HDTV as DFP-1. Where exactly would I define a custom modeline for DFP-1 and select it?
]grimm[ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-07, 08:46 AM   #22
crow

There are issues with interlaced modes, so if you're connecting to an HDTV, get this working with a 720p mode first. Then apply the same tricks to 1080i if that's the mode you really want.

The first thing to do is to get a working 720p mode (not one from EDID). Then you modify the parameters on the modeline to get it to be the actual image that you want. You should be able to google for step-by-step instructions.
crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-07, 10:24 AM   #23
eyal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ]grimm[
Eyal, were you able to get your TV to properly display a non-overscanned image with a custom modeline? I'm suffering from the same problem with my TV. I connected someone else's windows machine to my HDTV and found that it can properly display an 1824x1024 image without losing the edges of the screen. I can't figure out how to get this to work with the nvidia driver. Although I found someone else's modeline for this resolution on another forum, I'd be grateful if someone could help me figure out what my modeline should be.

My other problem is simply figuring out how to get the modeline into the monitor section for my TV. I'm connecting a laptop to the HDTV, so the laptop's LCD seems to be recognized as DFP-0 by default, and using the nvidia-settings tool can activate the HDTV as DFP-1. Where exactly would I define a custom modeline for DFP-1 and select it?
1) I did use a custom modeline (1192x672) and then needed to set
Option "FlatPanelProperties" "Scaling = Centered"
to avoid the image being stretched and lost over the edge.

2) I only had one screen (the TV) so did not have to deal with two DFPs. Sorry.
Old 12-21-07, 01:10 PM   #24
]grimm[

crow: I'm actually trying to get 1080p to work, so I'm trying for an interlaced mode.

eyal: Thanks for the info.

I tried finding a good guide to figure out modelines, but I haven't been able to find one. Do any of you have a link to a good guide?
]grimm[ is offline   Reply With Quote