Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-27-07, 05:54 PM   #1
crow

Default 1080i EDID modes broken in 100.14.19

This has been discussed at length in a number of other threads, but there were some other issues mixed in, and I'm not sure that a proper bug report has been filed.

When connecting to an HDTV with DVI where the HDTV reports back EDID modes, the 1080i mode doesn't work correctly. It will pass validation, but when displaying, the lines are doubled, resulting in display that shows the top half of the image stretched vertically to fill the entire screen. This last worked correctly in release 1.0-8776.

I've attached a bug report. Before running the report, I used xrandr to switch to the 1080i mode from the EDID that is displaying incorrectly, and then back to my standard 720p (actually a hacked 1152x672 mode to eliminate overscan, but a compatible signal).

Perhaps related, I've been unable to generate a modeline that will generate a 1080i output that is accepted by my TV. Many that I've seen posted parse, but the TV displays a black screen. (This was true even with 8776.)

Reference thread:
"1080i" http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show....php?p=1386626
Attached Files
File Type: bz2 nvidia-bug-report.log.bz2 (23.0 KB, 84 views)
crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-07, 07:55 PM   #2
Blammo

Default Re: 1080i EDID modes broken in 100.14.19

.. me too ..
Blammo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-07, 08:44 PM   #3
Armedblade

I just wanted to chime in on this because I believe I am having the same issue as you are. Also, I want to point out that you mentioned the mode is validating, but let me remind you that you have the following in your xorg.conf

Code:
Option "ModeValidation" "NoDFPNativeResolutionCheck, NoEdidDFPMaxSizeCheck, NoEdidMaxPClkCheck, NoVertRefreshCheck, NoHorizSyncCheck, NoMaxPClkCheck, AllowNon60HzDFPmodes, NoPredefinedModes, NoVesaModes, NoXServerModes"
...and without those settings, I am guessing that it possibly would not validate your 1080i (540 upconvert) resolution. I'm also wondering without those options does nvidia invalidate it because the driver computes the refresh rate at 120hz.

Could you confirm/deny that, if only for the sake of clarifying the problem at hand?
Armedblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-07, 09:56 AM   #4
mgandalf

I was running 14.11 and I found that if I set:

ModeValidation" "NoDFPNativeResolutionCheck"

and

"ExactModeTimingsDVI" "True"

I could get that version working, whereas with previous versions I had to use more options in order to get modes to validate and work. Now I'm trying 14.19 and my old options for 14.11 give me a black screen again.

This bug has existed for several versions and been reported by numerous people. Each version of the driver seems to handle it differently which tells me that NVidia is at least working on the issue, but we never seem to get anywhere with it. I get the feeling this bug is not a high priority with them and I'm starting to think it may never get fixed.

- Mark.
mgandalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-07, 10:31 AM   #5
crow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armedblade
...and without those settings, I am guessing that it possibly would not validate your 1080i (540 upconvert) resolution. I'm also wondering without those options does nvidia invalidate it because the driver computes the refresh rate at 120hz.

Could you confirm/deny that, if only for the sake of clarifying the problem at hand?
I seem to recall that you are correct. My combination of options are all necessary to get the modes to validate, except for those that exclude modes that I don't want.

It's not always easy to get time on the TV to play around with these settings, so I can't test specifics right now.
Old 10-29-07, 10:36 AM   #6
crow

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgandalf
This bug has existed for several versions and been reported by numerous people. Each version of the driver seems to handle it differently which tells me that NVidia is at least working on the issue, but we never seem to get anywhere with it. I get the feeling this bug is not a high priority with them and I'm starting to think it may never get fixed.
I was hoping that a new bug report might help get nVidia's attention, which is why I started this new thread instead of continuing an old one.

It would be really nice if someone from nVidia would read this and let us know if they're at least tracking this as a known bug. I've seen posts in other threads where they mention bug numbers, apparently from an internal bugzilla-like system; that level of confirmation would be reassuring.
Old 10-29-07, 10:18 PM   #7
Armedblade

I notice if I run "X -verbose 6 > /tmp/X.log 2>&1" as root then the log will indicate a specific reason why a mode would not validate, such as the refresh rate being out of range. As "user" I would get a verbose log but minus the invalidation reasons. Of course you could also use startx -- -verbose 6 (i think there is also a -log-verbose 6 setting) but I dont really use that method while troubleshooting.

I'm not sure what would cause that, but it does add in difficulty towards troubleshooting the problem.

EDIT: after discovering my parameter typo, X -logverbose 6 or startx -- -logverbose 6 produces the same results and is easier
Armedblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-07, 11:13 AM   #8
mgandalf

The problem is that the driver invalidates entries in the EDID. Now, I understand some manufacturers' EDID may contain invalid entries or may not hold true to spec, however, there are things the driver can do to make these modes valid - all based on the intended resolution and interlaced bit. NVidia doesn't appear to be doing these checks (at least with any option I've tried, anyway).

The driver seems to be doing more work ensuring, what it perceives as bad modes, don't get used rather than ensuring that these modes are fixed to be usable. I think it can be safely assumed that, if the EDID lists a resolution, the monitor can indeed display it and the driver should make every attempt to make it work.

Now, having said all this, I believe you'll find that in many more cases, NVidia's driver does the right thing in Windows.

- Mark.
mgandalf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-30-07, 11:25 AM   #9
crow

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgandalf
The problem is that the driver invalidates entries in the EDID.
No, that is not the problem. The 1080i mode from EDID does validate (at least it does with my modevalidation options). The problem is that when using the mode, it doesn't display correctly. While it does tell the X server that it is a 1920x1080 mode, and as best as I can tell, it is sending a 1080i signal to the TV, what is going to the TV is the first 540 lines doubled. So it's effectively a 1920x540 mode.

It's as if when doing interlaced modes, instead of sending every-other scan line on each refresh, it's sending every line in the first half of the screen.

It should be sending lines 0,2,4,6,8,...,1078 then on the next refresh lines 1,3,5,7,9,...,1079. Instead it's sending 0,1,2,3,4...539 on each refresh.

From the logs, everything seems to be right as best as I can tell. It's just the display that is wrong.
Old 10-30-07, 03:23 PM   #10
tld

In this thread:

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=90084

...if you look immediately after the post made by MVinny (with screen shots), it appears that AaronP from nvidia acknowledged the half screen bug.

I've been using custom mode lines for 1080i ever since I built my MythTV box because of this.

Speaking of 1080i...I still dream that a day will come that they actually get 1080i interlacing working correctly without all the tearing/motion blur issues.

Tom
tld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-07, 03:53 PM   #11
crow

Ah, bug 309982 filed on April 25th (six months ago). If anyone from nVidia reads this, it would be really nice to know if there is any status on that bug.
Old 10-30-07, 03:55 PM   #12
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Bug 309982 was resolved in 100.14.11.
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote