Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-29-08, 08:52 AM   #169
xsolarwindx

Default Re: 8400M GS : Low performences

I believe that it is due to the Xrender performance with these drivers that is bad. (I could be wrong though). KDE4 relies heavily on Xrender.
xsolarwindx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-08, 12:12 PM   #170
olifre

Quote:
Originally Posted by ledoc View Post
So there is a real improvement over 173.x? But the release notes don't mention anything in that domain...!?
Release notes told us support for more of the older cards was removed - which means, there is less "useless" stuff for the newer cards and maybe new code used (that does not have to run on the older cards, too).
Anyway, release notes are not always telling you everything that was changed. If you want to read that, you would need a changelog and / or the code itself. It would take a lot of the developer's time to do a complete release note, so the current way is ok for me. Maybe, there will be more such information in the release notes for the stable driver ^^.
So I guess, this beta affects the users of 8xxx and 9xxx concerning 2D-acceleration.
Currenty, I only have problems with playing back flash in fullscreen - you can watch it, but it seems to be around 10-15 fps (but I think that really is the flash-plugin's fault). Small flash-things work very fine, Firefox is okay, too, even without using any of the new parameters!

@NvFuchs: Thanks a lot! Nice idea ^^. I will try, however, I have now loaded my system with some of the alpha-compiz-stuff, so it will not go into powersafe completely if I just do some work *g*.

EDIT: BTW, I use gnome (Ubuntu Hardy) *g*. But even KDE-Apps run quite fine...
olifre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-08, 08:10 AM   #171
theophane

Is there anything new regarding that issue ?

I'm using the 173.14.12 drivers and performances are a little better, but I still have crappy 2D though. Are the beta drivers providing some serious performances improvements ?

BTW : I figured out that the 8400M GS had lame performances with a 1440x900 resolution, but several 13,3" (1280x800) monitor users are reporting that the card is doing just fine. Any thoughts on that ?
theophane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-08, 08:16 AM   #172
olifre

The newest betas brought further improvements for me.
As you can see in my last posts, my 8600M GT ran very fine already. Newest changelogs also show more of what really is changed.
I am currently using the latest beta and up to now, no issues, nothing slow.
Old 08-28-08, 08:38 AM   #173
Fackamato
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by olifre View Post
The newest betas brought further improvements for me.
As you can see in my last posts, my 8600M GT ran very fine already. Newest changelogs also show more of what really is changed.
I am currently using the latest beta and up to now, no issues, nothing slow.
Not even resizing windows in KDE4?
Fackamato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-08, 08:46 AM   #174
olifre

Quote:
Originally Posted by olifre View Post
BTW, I use gnome (Ubuntu Hardy) *g*. But even KDE-Apps run quite fine...
Well, I did not try KDE, but I use Compiz-Alpha which already is quite demanding. If you read the release notes of the newest Beta-Driver from nVidia (see the sticky in this forum), they mention changes especially for KDE 4-issues.

I guess it might be worth a try ^^.
Old 09-18-08, 11:39 AM   #175
theophane

Everytime I install a distro on a computer, this is the cool user experience I get with an nvidia graphic card.

I guess the plethora of computers I've installed a distro on aren't all wrong, right ?

Please give us some decent drivers.
Old 01-02-09, 05:26 AM   #176
msaragnoli

Hello, theophane.

I just watched your movie, and i'd like to say that is the same problem I'm having with my Sony Vaio FZ11S with Nvidia 8400 GT (I know thats not the better card....but in OS Windows(either Windows VISTA) works perfectly).

After 1 year and half I'm still trying change my OS for Fedora Linux but if my video card doesn't work properly I'll not change.

Why is so dificult to do a good driver? just because Linux is FREE?
msaragnoli is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-04-09, 08:17 AM   #177
theophane

Still the same here. Firefox tab switching is also very lame.
I guess I'll never buy an nvidia graphic card again.

However, I think that slow user interface problem is affecting Linux as a whole.
I've installed distros on loads of computers and I've never seen any fast firefox tab switching just like in Windows.
Old 01-04-09, 11:24 AM   #178
Dragoran

Quote:
Originally Posted by theophane View Post
Everytime I install a distro on a computer, this is the cool user experience I get with an nvidia graphic card.

I guess the plethora of computers I've installed a distro on aren't all wrong, right ?

Please give us some decent drivers.
use a cm
Dragoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-09, 11:26 AM   #179
sptr

Unless the driver wasn't properly installed or configured, there's no reason for that kind of performance degradation.
2D and 3D both work perfectly fine for me.

Keep in mind however that a card being a 8xxx doesn't necessarily mean it's better than a 7xxx.. a 7600GS, for example, is theoretically superior to a 8400M GS.
sptr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-09, 11:46 AM   #180
nvpro

The 2D slowdown you're experiencing isn't normal; but it looks like just a few people suffer from it?
2D acceleration and especially XRender is *a lot* slower with ATI/fglrx. At least when the NVidia driver works correctly, it is very fast. In fact, it is the fastest driver in XRender now.

I can only say for myself that I never experienced any of these extreme slowdowns on three different NVidia cards. Have you already tried to compare your systems to nail down the bug causing the slowdown?
nvpro is offline   Reply With Quote