Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-31-07, 08:09 AM   #13
theophane

Default Re: 8400M GS : Low performences

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoran
What exactly is slow? I don't have any 8xxx card to test but I see no reason why it should be slower than the 7xxx ones.
Here is a very short video to illustrate what I say

http://www.dailymotion.com/linuxfaci...-compiz-fusion
theophane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-07, 08:16 AM   #14
Dragoran

You mean the fire effect is slow?
The card has two modes where it runs 2D and 3D (only difference is the clock used). To save power the card runs with the 2D clocks until you start a 3D applications. But it seems that in case of compiz the card does not go into 3D mode because its generally not needed and would waste power. Your X700 was always running at "full power" because of drivers that do not support this (I assume you was using the r300 driver). And it seems like the fire effect needs some gpu power to be smooth.
Dragoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-07, 08:24 AM   #15
theophane

Quote:
The card has two modes where it runs 2D and 3D (only difference is the clock used). To save power the card runs with the 2D clocks until you start a 3D applications. But it seems that in case of compiz the card does not go into 3D mode because its generally not needed and would waste power. Your X700 was always running at "full power" because of drivers that do not support this (I assume you was using the r300 driver). And it seems like the fire effect needs some gpu power to be smooth.
This slow effect thing happens on each and every single effect.
The effect gets pretty fast once it has been practised for awhile.

I do understand what you say. Then my question would be how do I do to use all the potential of my card ?

And once again I repeat, I'm not the only one with that problem, this happens to a lot of people.
Old 10-31-07, 08:26 AM   #16
taqti

Quote:
But that's exactly the problem. The switch to 3D clocks is not fast enough. Sometimes it takes over a couple of seconds for the switch to occur, and sometimes it doesn't switch at all. The need for 3D clocks when the effects happen are obvious, so I don't understand why the switch is so poor?
taqti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-07, 08:46 AM   #17
Dragoran

Well for 7xxx cards its possible to force the card into "3D mode only" by passing NVreg_RegistryDwords="PerfLevelSrc=0x2222" to the nvidia module. But this is not documented anywhere and nobody but nvidia really knows what it does. I have no idea what if any effect it has on other cards thought.
Dragoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-07, 04:49 PM   #18
theophane

Default Re: 8400M GS : Low performances

I'm sorry to insist, but could someone from nvidia please tell me what to do to get decent 3D effects ?

Thanks
Old 11-01-07, 10:23 PM   #19
enigma_0Z

Just adding my experience to the pool--I recently upgraded from a nVidia GeForce Go 7200 to the 8400 GS... But performance in Compiz is worse. Animations take a while to "smooth out" and minimize animations are unacceptably slow.

I'm using the Beta driver, by the way.
enigma_0Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-07, 06:56 AM   #20
macinkross

Same problem here on my new notebook. I'm really somewhat pissed about this but I am glad to see I'm not alone.

I did some investigating yesterday. I installed both XP and Vista to see if either of these systems had issues. Immediatly I noticed framerate problems in Aero with things like Flip3D. Running the Dawn demo I noticed that sometimes it would run fine and other times the framerate would be quite bad (in both os's), however the performance would mirror that of Aero in vista. Also, letting Dawn run indefinitely does not change its behavior at startup; i.e. if its running poorly, leting the card warm up doesn't help.

Very strange....
macinkross is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-02-07, 01:06 PM   #21
enigma_0Z

Well the 8400M GS should have better performance than the Go 7200, (my old card) right?

In games, this is true -- higher resolution and higher frame rate, but composited window managers (vista, etc) seem to hurt? Seems wrong. But a driver should fix it, right?
enigma_0Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-07, 05:11 PM   #22
lexs

Do you have slow 2d rendering, eg slow scrolling in firefox, minimization seems to be affected as well.
May be same issue as http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=87865 (im having this problem).
Worst things is that Nvidia seem to ignore every problem that cant be solved by their litte sweet faq ;(
lexs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-07, 06:29 AM   #23
theophane

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexs
Do you have slow 2d rendering, eg slow scrolling in firefox, minimization seems to be affected as well.
May be same issue as http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=87865 (im having this problem).
Worst things is that Nvidia seem to ignore every problem that cant be solved by their litte sweet faq ;(
Indeed, my scrolling in firefox is not as smooth as it looks on the window os.
I've updated to the 100.14.23 driver through Envy, and I still have the same problem, and I'm still pissed for the 1000 I spent in that laptop.

Nvidia techies, please do something, or at least make a statement on this issue.
Old 11-06-07, 09:48 PM   #24
starcannon

Exclamation Re: 8400M GS : Low performences

Same problem with the 8400m gs here on an HP Pavilion dv2600, bought it specifically for an Nvidia card, couldn't find a laptop with a 7 series card that suited me so took a chance on 8 series... might as well have not returned the dell with that pos x3100, it worked better with the desktop effects than this 8400m gs does. I keep coming to Nvidia hoping for a driver update, and agree that it would be nice to have some one in an official capacity acknowledge and advise on these issues.
starcannon is offline   Reply With Quote