Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-06-08, 08:49 AM   #37
theophane

Default Re: 8400M GS : Low performences

Quote:
Originally Posted by phelge
I have the same issue. The issue is described here http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=99554

Try running in a terminal :
# while true; do nvidia-settings -q all > /dev/null; sleep 25; done

It fixed the problem for me. I've put it as a task in Gnome Sessions so that it runs when Gnome starts.
Indeed, this solves the problem, but I still do not know what it does.

I spent 1000 in a laptop with an Nvidia card, because I though they were reliable.
Unfortunately, this is not the case. I'm still hoping, someday, we will get an answer.
theophane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-08, 01:34 PM   #38
AaronP
NVIDIA Corporation

theophane,
PowerMizer will raise the GPU clocks to maximum performance levels when an OpenGL application is started, but will reduce the performance level again to conserve battery power and reduce heat output if the GPU is being under-utilized. Compiz spends long periods of time idle, so the GPU ends up in its lowest power state. It may be possible to add an option to force the GPU into maximum performance mode all the time, but there will be a tradeoff with increased power usage. By continuously running nvidia-settings, you're forcing the GPU to stay in maximum performance mode all the time.
AaronP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-08, 07:29 AM   #39
T-u-N-i-X

I'm using 8400M GS on my HP dv2580et laptop computer and I'm really pissed of the that card... I thought that this card was great for everything, I wasn't able to play Crysis even at the lowest rates.. But the worst thing that hurts me more than anything is that Compiz Fusion works very very slowly on the machine..

I tried some of the settings that are suggested on the forum and it's more usable now.. But a lot my friends that uses other cards (7600 or intel..) have better performances than me which really makes me mad..

I really wait for nVidia to solve such problems
T-u-N-i-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-08, 04:58 AM   #40
theophane

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronP
theophane,
PowerMizer will raise the GPU clocks to maximum performance levels when an OpenGL application is started, but will reduce the performance level again to conserve battery power and reduce heat output if the GPU is being under-utilized. Compiz spends long periods of time idle, so the GPU ends up in its lowest power state. It may be possible to add an option to force the GPU into maximum performance mode all the time, but there will be a tradeoff with increased power usage. By continuously running nvidia-settings, you're forcing the GPU to stay in maximum performance mode all the time.
Thank you for giving us an answer. However, it seems weird to me that some people are facing this issue and some others not, on the exact same device.
I made a script I run at startup to force that -full speed mode all the time- as described above.

I still get lags while using Compiz, and I was getting better performances with my 2 years old ATI X700, which seems...weird.

Anyways, you learn by making mistakes, and now I know I will never buy a cheap Nvidia card again.

If some driver update or any kind of hack can make compiz smooth with that card, please keep us posted.

Thank you
Old 01-11-08, 08:49 AM   #41
feyeuh

I have the same problem you guys have.

My system:
HP Pavilion Media Center dv6617ed Core Duo T2310 (1.46GHz) 2x1GB, 120GB, DVD+/-RW, 15.4-inch TFT, Windows Vista Home Premium

Also slow in vista desktop... same problem.

Installed the latest drivers.. 3DMark2006: 1500 points.

I thought this card could play games better. Is DX 10 its 8xxx but it can play new games? :s

Someone any solution on windows vista?
feyeuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-08, 06:51 AM   #42
sjachim

On Vista I have changed the registry key PerfLevelSrc from x'3333' to x'3322' with regedit. This forces the GPU to run at max when plugged into the mains, but allows powermizer to still work with batteries. I don't know what other effects this setting might have, so change it at your own risk. My GPU temp when idling now is about 67degC.

x'2222' will keep GPU at max on batteries or mains.

Now my 8400M GS works well with Aero

key is in :
\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contr ol\Video\{**unique to you for nvidia**}\0000\PerfLevelSrc
sjachim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-08, 12:31 PM   #43
Keyper7

So... I think all it takes to resolve this issue are extra options in the nvidia-settings utility to disable PowerMizer or at least make it run only when on batteries. Is nvidia working on this already?
Keyper7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-08, 03:52 PM   #44
PiranhA2

Quote:
Originally Posted by feyeuh
I have the same problem you guys have.

My system:
HP Pavilion Media Center dv6617ed Core Duo T2310 (1.46GHz) 2x1GB, 120GB, DVD+/-RW, 15.4-inch TFT, Windows Vista Home Premium

Also slow in vista desktop... same problem.

Installed the latest drivers.. 3DMark2006: 1500 points.

I thought this card could play games better. Is DX 10 its 8xxx but it can play new games? :s

Someone any solution on windows vista?
No, the performance off your card is correct or even better than the average results with this card. This card is just to slow for new games. Features like DX10 say nothin about the power of a card.
The names of the nvida-cards have a simple scheme. The first number is the generation (in this case 8xxx, the 8th). The following thre numbers represent more or less the power. x100 or x200 is office-only, x300 to x500 is office and multimedia (like HD videos), x600 is medium gaming (possible but not with the highest qualities) and x800 are the high-end-chips.

So a 7600 card is faster than a 8400, a 7900 is faster than a 8600 and never forget that notebook-chips are still slower than their desktop-versions, because they are meant to be mobile.

Although it should have no problems with Aero, but well its Microsoft and this is a Linux-Thread. I would recommend to look here or here.
PiranhA2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-30-08, 02:04 PM   #45
unebaguettesvp

i just bought a Dell 1420N with the 128MB 8400M GS card and had the exact same problems. i used the restricted driver option in ubuntu gutsy for the video card. i think that was version 100.14.19. i installed envy and updated the driver to 169.09. i have to say compiz is definitely running a lot smoother. but not smooth enough.

i can now run animations for my windows. but they are still pretty choppy. very noticeable.

the resize info plugin in compiz actually works now.

rotating the cube is still kind of choppy. but better?

there is plenty room for improvement.

i have an AMD64 machine at home with a 256 MB GeForce 7600 GS card in it that can kill this much newer laptop in graphics performance.

i guess i'll just have to wait for the next driver release.
unebaguettesvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-08, 03:51 PM   #46
theophane

Quote:
Originally Posted by unebaguettesvp
i guess i'll just have to wait for the next driver release.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but in the end, isn't that card just too crappy to run compiz ?

(3 months of laggy compiz to say this, I might seem dumb, do I ? )
Old 01-30-08, 04:00 PM   #47
Twosheds

Quote:
Originally Posted by theophane
Correct me if I'm wrong, but in the end, isn't that card just too crappy to run compiz ?

(3 months of laggy compiz to say this, I might seem dumb, do I ? )
Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't there performance problems with compiz (or anything linux for that matter) even on the best 8 series cards.
Twosheds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-08, 04:09 PM   #48
sula

Quote:
Originally Posted by theophane
Nope ,it is not. Problem with 8400 and other 8 series card is because of crappy drivers. I'm running smooth compiz on a GF 6100 integrated on my mobo without its own memory.
This card is much more slower than 8400...
sula is offline   Reply With Quote