Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-12-08, 05:13 AM   #73
theophane

Default Re: 8400M GS : Low performences

Quote:
Originally Posted by energyman76b
compiz is still buggy, slow alpha-ware and firefox and unholy mess of 'xul', javascript and gtk - all three of them slow.

If you want a fast browser choose opera or konqueror.
The same alpha compiz and awful firefox run just fine on my flatmate's laptop.
I don't want to blame you, don't get me wrong but I think what you say is 100% bull****.
theophane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-08, 07:39 AM   #74
txf

I agree. Whilst none of these were particulary speedy at any time, they used to be faster using older drivers. Alas I cannot use these as my card is not supported. It may be that these applications have gotten slower (gtk relying more on cairo etc.). I'd like to point out that powemizer aggravates the suckiness too, It's still has too much latency and as a result changing tabs which require large repaints will be laggy as the gpu dawdles before shifting to level 2
txf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-08, 06:31 PM   #75
shaundennie

Quote:
Originally Posted by theophane
The same alpha compiz and awful firefox run just fine on my flatmate's laptop.
I don't want to blame you, don't get me wrong but I think what you say is 100% bull****.
Calling compiz alpha or beta is absurd. It has it's bugs but, after at least a year using it, I've been amazed at how stable it is. Almost any bug that you encounter can be traced back to the nvidia driver (you can verify this by trying different drivers) and, in general, using compiz makes the desktop a lot more responsive. I can't even imagine using a machine without compiz anymore. It's just unfortunate that I have to jump through so many hoops to make it work well with the nvidia drivers.
shaundennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-08, 06:37 PM   #76
energyman76b

yeah, calling compiz alpha is absurd. Pre-alpha would be correct.

However claiming that it makes the desktop more responsive THAT is absurd.

All the effects and goodies are a worthless waste of time (except the animated thumbnails and maybe scale). You want responsiveness? Clean up your xorg.conf and don't use low end hardware.
energyman76b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-08, 07:06 PM   #77
shaundennie

I don't know that I've ever seen energyman76b post anything that wasn't confrontational but, I'll feed the troll a bit...

Compiz absolutely makes my machine more responsive. As an example, with metacity, even moving windows causes massive tearing on the moving window. The eye candy of compiz can make some things seem less responsive because they use animations that purposely make windows open/close/minimize/maximize slower than metacity but, you can turn all that off if you don't like it. Also, plugins like scale, expo, and oddly enough, water, can radically change the way you use your machine.

My xorg.conf is clean and optimized. I've had machines using compiz with uptimes of months that I use daily. The problems that people generally report on this board are not related to compiz but instead to the nvidia driver. The fact that compiz runs fine (and often much better) on intel hardware is fairly indicative of the fact that we are talking about driver issues and not compiz.
Old 04-12-08, 08:48 PM   #78
logan

Quote:
I don't know that I've ever seen energyman76b post anything that wasn't confrontational but, I'll feed the troll a bit...
His behavior is.. quite poor. There's nothing like kicking someone while they're down, I guess.
logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-08, 08:53 PM   #79
energyman76b

metacity? why not compare compiz to some wm that is not dead slow in itself?

And yes, I am confrontational, because most of the time people complain it is:
the hardware
the bios
the cards bios
or their own fault.

For example, remember that SilentLexx guy?

All the noise he made? The fuss? His aggressive attacks?

And? It was his bios fault...

So kicking someone who 'is down' is not kicking someone 'who is down' if that someone most probably screwed to up himself or demands stupid stuff.
energyman76b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-08, 09:40 PM   #80
ledoc

Well I guess we have established that there are driver issues and it is legitimate to discuss how to solve it and to inform the nvidia guys about it.
IMHO, the discussion whether things like compiz are useful and what browser to use is misplaced here.
ledoc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-13-08, 12:28 AM   #81
shaundennie

Quote:

the hardware
the bios
the cards bios
or their own fault.

For example, remember that SilentLexx guy?

All the noise he made? The fuss? His aggressive attacks?

And? It was his bios fault...

So kicking someone who 'is down' is not kicking someone 'who is down' if that someone most probably screwed to up himself or demands stupid stuff.
This thread is about poor performance on the 8400M GS. It *is* poor and it *is* a driver issue. For a modern video card from nVidia to display such horrible performance without user intervention does indeed mean that it's a driver problem. As a user of said card, I would *never* recommend it to another linux user because they will, rightfully, expect their hardware to work without any fiddling. It's a great card but, when I have to do things like: http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=109744 just to make the performance of the card reasonable, there are driver problems...
Old 04-13-08, 03:07 AM   #82
pawels133

Quote:
yeah, calling compiz alpha is absurd. Pre-alpha would be correct.

However claiming that it makes the desktop more responsive THAT is absurd.

All the effects and goodies are a worthless waste of time (except the animated thumbnails and maybe scale). You want responsiveness? Clean up your xorg.conf and don't use low end hardware.
Calling nvidia drivers stable is absurd. They maybe become stable and usable in few years. Compiz is very stable and fast. If it's not there's something wrong with your drivers probably... My xorg.conf can't be more clean, but 6800, 8xxx series must be low end hardware...

Quote:

the hardware
the bios
the cards bios
or their own fault.
Stop trolling. Have you any proofs that Metacity is slow? It's in 95% nvidia fault. If you have nothing smart to say just shut up.
Old 04-13-08, 05:39 AM   #83
theophane

So, to sum-up, there is an obvious driver issue and the performances of our 8400M GS are LAME. I would also add that Nvidia is 100% aware of that.
Now the real question is when will we get decent drivers ?
Old 04-14-08, 04:51 AM   #84
theophane

I just found out that firefox tab switching is waaaaay faster with the vesa driver