Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Benchmarking And Overclocking

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-14-03, 02:02 PM   #13
Uttar

Send a message via AIM to Uttar Send a message via Yahoo to Uttar

Quote:
Originally posted by K.I.L.E.R

You sound like you bought all the PR that's been thrown around lately.

Some of us don't even want "a little" bit of IQ downgraded even if it is for a massive performance increase.

I can't even begin to critique your statement.

Every end user WILL NOT accept this, every end user SHOULD NOT accept this. You do not talk for everyone, remember that.

You make it sound like cheating SHOULD be acceptable.
Actually, who cares if you cheat without getting caught and that you do it nearly everywhere? Heck, I'm pretty sure nVidia will optimize a lot of other games similarly - the GFFX is way too complex to allow games to do things properly

If nVidia didn't cheat everywhere, then it'd be another matter. But they do. So damn, the problem isn't that they're cheating.

The problem is *only* IQ. What we care about, as gamers, is IQ. Of course, as techies, other things matter, but that's really not the primary concern IMO ( feel free to have a different opinion - but then accept mine too. )
Sorry for saying that it isn't a problem to have slightly lower IQ. Probably was lame there... I think, however, that the users should be given the option of a little bit less IQ to get more performance - I did say *option* here. Reviewers should use their best judgement to use the best setting.

And on the topic of IQ - after rechecking the screenshots, I'm not even too sure it's worse than 43.03 anymore...

http://www.darkcrow.co.kr/image/tip&...h/iq/game4.jpg
http://www.darkcrow.co.kr/image/news/0304/4351.jpg

The 43.51 looks just as good as the 43.03, it seems Didn't check compared to a R300 yet, though.

Uttar
Uttar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-03, 02:23 PM   #14
gokickrocks

im going to assume that the pics are taken at different frames because some things are missing and the colors also look saturated (looks like someone turned up the brightness/gamma)
Old 04-14-03, 02:41 PM   #15
marcocom

Quote:
Originally posted by K.I.L.E.R

You sound like you bought all the PR that's been thrown around lately.

Some of us don't even want "a little" bit of IQ downgraded even if it is for a massive performance increase.

I can't even begin to critique your statement.

Every end user WILL NOT accept this, every end user SHOULD NOT accept this. You do not talk for everyone, remember that.

You make it sound like cheating SHOULD be acceptable.

My apologies Scott.
agreed.

nvidia has been so afraid to be confident in the need to engineer an entirely new product and keep just trying to play the race game with ATi and its making them look bad over and over again.

nvidia, take your time. your not being faster than ATi would be fine with most of us if you showcased feature-set and scaleability and the other things that make the FX special. trying to beat ATi while they use a very mature chip like R3xx is devestating and probably impossible for awhile.

nvidia, stop the insanity and get a grip on your market relations. your cooler than this.
marcocom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-03, 02:53 PM   #16
GlowStick
CoD4!

Send a message via AIM to GlowStick

Though i dont have the best eyes,

http://www.darkcrow.co.kr/image/news/0304/4351.jpg

looks the same as when i run 3dmark03 on my 9800Pro

thats my 2cents =0
GlowStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-03, 04:30 PM   #17
StealthHawk

Default Re: Re: 3dmark03 On Nvidia Cards Redux

Quote:
Originally posted by Sazar
that link provided continues to show 'discoloration' in the sky compared to other driver sets..

though it is less so than before...
the sky looks the same to me

old driver with no cheating
new performance optimized driver

on the subject of "cheating." unless image quality is being taken away, I don't consider it cheating.
Old 04-14-03, 04:45 PM   #18
RobHague
I like cheese.

Exactley, first they were cheating because the nature demo IQ was a bit dodgy looking. Now the image quality looks fine people are still saying they are cheating because the 3dmark is just as good and thats what nvidia are like . Im just wondering after the WHQL driver is released what more people will want to convince them nvidia are back on track??

Incidentiall the newer drivers give me a higher score with the Quality setting than they did before. So the IQ is back to normal and i get a few more marks to boot.

There used to be a signature here, but now there isnt.
RobHague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-03, 05:01 PM   #19
StealthHawk

Quote:
Originally posted by RobHague
Exactley, first they were cheating because the nature demo IQ was a bit dodgy looking. Now the image quality looks fine people are still saying they are cheating because the 3dmark is just as good and thats what nvidia are like . Im just wondering after the WHQL driver is released what more people will want to convince them nvidia are back on track??

Incidentiall the newer drivers give me a higher score with the Quality setting than they did before. So the IQ is back to normal and i get a few more marks to boot.
I think people are confusing cheating with optimizing. or they just like to nit pick.

as an aside, I would like to know if nvidia fixed the problems with PS2.0 with these drivers.
Old 04-14-03, 08:56 PM   #20
StealthHawk

agreed, if image quality is lowered then it is most definitely cheating.

take the driver challenge. the sky looks the same. see post with the two links labelled "old driver with no cheating
new performance optimized drive"

the trees look different, but I'm not sure which shot is supposed to be "correct." it looks like the leaves are just in different places.

Old 04-14-03, 09:19 PM   #21
gokickrocks

i will post a dx9 sdk reference rasterizer image to compare it to in a few hours (yea it takes that long)...
Old 04-14-03, 09:19 PM   #22
gokickrocks

also, could someone tell me how to make the animated images?
Old 04-14-03, 10:54 PM   #23
DSC

Using GIF is a BAD idea. The GIF format is limited to 256 colours, no way you can properly judge the quality of the screenshots.

A better format would be MNG, the sister format of PNG that has animation support just like GIF and supports 24bit colour like PNG or JPEG. Unfortunately, because of MS lazyness or whatever reason only known to the IE for Windows team, there's no MNG support in IE and poor PNG support, while Mozilla based browsers FULLY support both MNG and PNG features.
DSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-03, 11:04 PM   #24
gokickrocks

i was planning on using MNG...

but i just realized the reference 5800 pic is a GIF, so could someone with a 5800 take a PNG screen cap of frame 800 in 3dmark03's nature...

the rasterizer is still going at it, just a few more HOURS to go