Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Benchmarking And Overclocking

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-15-03, 01:23 PM   #49
GlowStick
CoD4!

Send a message via AIM to GlowStick

Quote:
Originally posted by RobHague
It's possible that the IQ setting was set to balanced or performance though for DarkCrows snapshot.

Tell me what tool i need to be able to take a screenshot of that exact frame and i will post a shot of it set to "Quality" just to make sure.
Alright its really easy!

Fire up 3dMark03

Then go to Image Quality... (second button on the bottom right)

then pick your resolution

then on the Ttest: Dropdown box pick GT4 Mother Nature

Then Use the Single Frame option and put in 800.

THen hit run and it loads it up and renders that frame and saves it as a bmp, it tells you where it saved it. then thats it!
GlowStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-03, 01:46 PM   #50
RobHague
I like cheese.

Ahhh of course i will get it done and post a shot of it at full quality if there is any difference.

There used to be a signature here, but now there isnt.
RobHague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-03, 02:04 PM   #51
Uttar

Send a message via AIM to Uttar Send a message via Yahoo to Uttar

Quote:
Originally posted by jbirney
Thats the point I was trying to make. By sticking to one simple paths things are easier....meaning less transistors and easier optiomizations (remember jc said that scheduling for the NV30 was tricky). I am not saying either is better. Just saying that wiht every engineering choice is a trade offs. they both have "good" and "bad" parts...
Yes, yes, I figured that out.
But what I meant to say is that the calculations are always FP32. There were rumors that calculations were actually done in FP16 when you asked for FP16 and that this was two times faster, and that registers were just a small part of the problem: it's actually exactly the opposite.
FP Calculations are always done at the same speed, and the only difference is with register usage...

Uttar
Uttar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-03, 03:46 PM   #52
zakelwe

Looking at the images on this thread comparing IQ can the people who did them tell me how long they took to actually glean a difference and how long they look at the scenery in the games they are playing whilst playing the game ?

To put it another way, if I made you play your game at 320 x 200 would you find it repulsive ? Now, if I made you play your game at 1280 x 1024 2xAA or 1600x1200 32 bit straight would you find it repulsive ? Probably not .

Unless your game is called Duke-runupandexaminethewallclosely-Nuke'em of course

Of course, people will say, yes but if I paid $399 for a video card I'd expect to see a difference. And I'd say, you're using a Honda with an F1 engine and diamond tipped rotors to mow your lawn.

If you get on your hands and knees you'll be able to see your F1 Honda mower cut it all all a lot more even - judged from 2.4cm away.
zakelwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-03, 05:39 PM   #53
walkndude

Did'nt anyone else notice the different file sizes ?

The 9700 and rasterizer shots are 905kb while the the 5800 shot is only 204kb... 4 times the compression.
Old 04-15-03, 05:50 PM   #54
RobHague
I like cheese.

Okies did a picture of it myself and it looks like the one from DarkCrow....however i turned on Anisotropic filtering and the texture looks just as sharp as the one for the R300 screenshot. Intresting, is it possible the R300 is doing some AF when it shouldnt be? Or the person that took the shot had AF enabled? Its possible its a glitch in the detonators, after all these are leaked.

Old 04-15-03, 05:59 PM   #55
RobHague
I like cheese.

Have a look at this btw -

8x AF
No AA

Look simular?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	nv30-zoom.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	1418  

Old 04-15-03, 06:01 PM   #56
gokickrocks

on the 9700, i had AA and AF disabled, or rather, it was set to "application preference", which in 3dmark03 is none at all...

Old 04-15-03, 06:04 PM   #57
RobHague
I like cheese.

Strange, it could be the cataylist drivers applying AF then when they shouldnt... ? Or it could just indeed be a glitch in the dets.

The other interesting thing ive just noticed is that i set the intellisample to 'Performance' and 'Quality' and compared them. I could see ZILCH difference. The texture at the back does not get any worse/better.

Old 04-15-03, 06:06 PM   #58
gokickrocks

could you post the no AA and no AF png image for the 5800 Rob? that way we dont have to deal with jpg compression
Old 04-15-03, 06:12 PM   #59
RobHague
I like cheese.

Yeah ill upload one to my webspace (its over 1mb) and post the link here. I *did* manage to get the texture to look as good as the R300/350 with the 'Texture Sharpening' option. You see whats to stop ATI implimenting something simular in the drivers and having no option to turn it off? (see attachment)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	textsharp00800.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	1419  

Old 04-15-03, 06:16 PM   #60
gokickrocks

Quote:
Originally posted by walkndude
Did'nt anyone else notice the different file sizes ?

The 9700 and rasterizer shots are 905kb while the the 5800 shot is only 204kb... 4 times the compression.
thanks for the heads up, i will try and find out how he made it that size...i tried ms paint, ps7, and corel photopaint 11...none of them compress to that size by default