Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Home Theater A/V

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-02-07, 08:33 PM   #37
Zeta

Default Re: Wal-Mart Selling Toshiba HD_DVD for $98!!

This blows. I went to wal-mart to get one of these today. The price does not apply to Utah as Utah has some law that a retailer cannot sell an item below cost. They were selling them for $185 here. There were tons of people in line pissed, me being one of them.
Zeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-07, 09:55 PM   #38
betterdan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeta
This blows. I went to wal-mart to get one of these today. The price does not apply to Utah as Utah has some law that a retailer cannot sell an item below cost. They were selling them for $185 here. There were tons of people in line pissed, me being one of them.
That's why the practice of multiple wives started there. Men needed more income coming in to pay for the things that were not allowed to be discounted below cost.
Old 11-03-07, 12:01 AM   #39
Rakeesh

Quote:
Thats gay, why would they have a law like that?

Core i7 2600k 4.4Ghz 1.385v | Corsair H60 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 8-8-8-24 | MSI P67A-G45 | OCZ Vertex 3 | Sapphire 7850 OC to Max settings

Rakeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-07, 12:13 AM   #40
Zeta

Beats the hell out of me. Anything to screw the consumer!
Zeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-07, 01:10 AM   #41
Rakeesh

Quote:
Beats the hell out of me. Anything to screw the consumer!
Almost sounds as though some liberal politician(s) didn't like the idea of stores like wal-mart driving the prices of some products down.

I could see not liking wal-mart and not shopping there, but why the hell do some people insist upon legislating them out of existence? That is just plain being an asshole.

The fact that they can't establish any stores in New York says a lot about liberalism IMO. The aristocrat politicians of New York are fine with everybody paying higher prices for merchandise, including those who can't afford it, just so long as their ideology remains intact.

Core i7 2600k 4.4Ghz 1.385v | Corsair H60 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 8-8-8-24 | MSI P67A-G45 | OCZ Vertex 3 | Sapphire 7850 OC to Max settings

Old 11-03-07, 10:42 AM   #42
mullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaWolf_HK
Almost sounds as though some liberal politician(s) didn't like the idea of stores like wal-mart driving the prices of some products down.

I could see not liking wal-mart and not shopping there, but why the hell do some people insist upon legislating them out of existence? That is just plain being an asshole.

The fact that they can't establish any stores in New York says a lot about liberalism IMO. The aristocrat politicians of New York are fine with everybody paying higher prices for merchandise, including those who can't afford it, just so long as their ideology remains intact.
mullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-07, 12:11 PM   #43
Lyme

The reason why laws making it illegal to sell below cost exist, is so that a company with deeper pockets cannot simply undercut the competitors and run them out of business. These kinds of laws are to help local business's, however they in cases like with Walmart will hurt consumers because doing such things is regular policy.
You should never think that your politicians understand money matters of those who they represent, they typically make significantly more than the working class and have abstracted themselves from society. In my opinion, you should write email to your representatives when you identify large problems as such, and make sure to make your correspondence concise, clear, polite, and include background and foundation. If you don't share your viewpoint with them, your relying on others to do it for you, and we know how that works out.
Lyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-07, 07:25 PM   #44
mullet

Well I went to circuit city and did a price match with best buy and got $100.00 back so all is good.
mullet is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-03-07, 11:50 PM   #45
betterdan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullet
Well I went to circuit city and did a price match with best buy and got $100.00 back so all is good.
That's good.

I decided the night before not to get one. My wife's birthday is this coming Friday and I have enough toys as it is. Besides I don't even hardly watch any of the over 1000 regular dvds we have now.
I guess that old whip of hers is starting to have an effect.
Old 11-04-07, 01:04 AM   #46
Digital_Trans

Does this Toshiba HD-DVD drive support up to 1080p? I have an HD Sony Bravia 46" LCD HD-Television and was just wanting to know if I used an HDMI cable would I get 1080p on these low priced HD-DVD players that are being sold?
CPU: Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9770 Quad 3.8GHz LCi
RAM: Corsair 4GB DDR3 1800 (PC3 14400)
GPU: 3 X EVGA GTX 280 FTW Edition TRI-SLI
HDD: 3 X 150GB WD Raptor-X
HDD: 1 - 500GB Seagate Barracuda
HDD: 1 - 640GB WD Caviar SE
DVD: 2 X Ultra Slim 20X IDE DVD/CD Writer
SPU: Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty PCI-Express
LG Super Multi Blu-ray RW/HDDVD: GGW-H20L
Display: Dell UltraSharp 30" LCD
Gateway XHD3000 Black 30" LCD
Windows Vista Ultimate Edition x64 SP1
Digital_Trans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-07, 01:15 AM   #47
Rakeesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyme
The reason why laws making it illegal to sell below cost exist, is so that a company with deeper pockets cannot simply undercut the competitors and run them out of business. These kinds of laws are to help local business's, however they in cases like with Walmart will hurt consumers because doing such things is regular policy.
Does that law apply to clearance stuff too? E.g. the store has something that didn't sell that well, and they just want to get rid of it so they'll sell it at whatever price?

If so that is crap. I couldn't ever imagine trying to setup any upstart retail business there, that kind of thing would easily be the difference between life and death for the company.

Even if it didn't apply to clearance, that would still suck for any startup who wants to start with insanely low prices in order to attract new customers - namely because they don't really have any in the first place.

All this kind of law could serve to do is keep the big guys in business while the smaller guys have no flexibility to do anything.

Old 11-04-07, 01:26 AM   #48
Xav
Professional NV Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital_Trans
Does this Toshiba HD-DVD drive support up to 1080p? I have an HD Sony Bravia 46" LCD HD-Television and was just wanting to know if I used an HDMI cable would I get 1080p on these low priced HD-DVD players that are being sold?
No it's 1080i. If your tv accepts 1080i input then it will deinterlace the picture just like it does with 1080i television signals.

System II: C2D E8400 || Gigabyte GA-EP35 || 2GB Gskill DDR2 1066 || XFX GTX 260 Black Edition || Audigy 2 || Corsair TX650 || Klipsch PM 2.1 || Gateway 2185W LCD

Consoles: 360/PS3
Xav is offline   Reply With Quote