Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-14-07, 09:02 AM   #37
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: 8800 GT

A driver which supports this GPU should be released in the near future.
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-07, 10:00 AM   #38
dbenoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by netllama
A driver which supports this GPU should be released in the near future.
I realize that there's no way to give a fixed release date for active development, but can we at least get a best case, and worst case scenario?
dbenoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-07, 10:07 AM   #39
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Worst case would be next month. I can't be any more specific than that.
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-07, 10:07 AM   #40
dbenoy

Quote:
That works for me. Thanks.
Old 11-14-07, 10:51 AM   #41
bitmage

Thumbs down Re: 8800 GT

Quote:
Try this for me: Go to your driver downloads page, tell it that you have a 8800GT and you want a Linux 64 bit driver. It will take you here:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_d...100.14.19.html There's not a mention that no driver exists!

Don't you think it's just a bit dishonest to be telling customers that you have a Linux driver for this card available now, ready for download today, when you know that is false?

Again, I would not have purchased this card if your site had honestly informed me of the lack of drivers for Linux. You're making sales here by deceiving your customers and then telling them to wait for Santa.
bitmage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-07, 11:46 AM   #42
buzzin

Quote:
Thanks netllama.

!! All good things come to those who wait!!
buzzin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-07, 04:14 PM   #43
Valdoror

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemecb
In any case, until there's sufficient market for Linux video cards to justify some real competition for our business this is likely to be something we have to tolerate.
You're totally right and I personnaly can't tolerate it anymore

I've been using Linux for 9 years now and I feel I've spent more time configuring things to get them work than simply enjoying my - great - operating system.

We're talking about video cards here, but it also applies to any kind of hardware (sound cards, printers, scanners, etc...).

Today I'm really fed up. I know the problem does not come from Linux developers, you've just given the right cause. But I can't wait any longer.

So I'll have to switch to WinXP, although that's rather bad news for me.

I just hope Linux support from hardware manufacturers will greatly improve in the coming years...

Until then, I'll be enjoying my 8800GT through Windows, my only choice for the moment
Valdoror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-07, 09:09 AM   #44
dbenoy

Exclamation Re: 8800 GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valdoror
Another option is to build one box for games, and another box for your day-to-day linux tasks. The linux box can be made of moderately outdated hardware so that Linux support by the open source guys has already been set up.

In most cases with a contemporary distribution, you won't have to configure anything on a box like that. It will all come to life when you first boot.

Also, the fact that it's moderately outdated means nothing because Linux performs better and aside from games there's little out there which currently requires any serious horsepower.

For example, while I'm waiting for this crap with the nvidia linux drivers to be resolved, I'm enjoying Linux on my laptop.

Although video card drivers are a special case. They have a bunch of patent protected ubersecret stuff in them, so if you use the open source drivers that are installed automatically by most distros you can't do the really cool compiz type stuff. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong)

Old 11-15-07, 01:04 PM   #45
MamiyaOtaru

It's annoying sure, but it has its bright side. Right after the new card launches it has low availability and it's more expensive than it would be otherwise. By not having a driver ready, nVidia makes it easier to wait until supply/price issues are sorted out Also, by the time g92 drivers come out, we might have our second g92 card (8800gts refresh). Another reason the enforced wait might turn out to be a good thing.

AMDs work at opening their specs is a good move in the gfx market, but it will take a long time before there are working 3d drivers and it remains to be seen whether their performance will even come close to nVidia's. So in the meantime I plan on waiting a month before drivers exist to support any new nVidia architecture, which is cool 'cause by then the card might actually be available.
MamiyaOtaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-07, 03:16 PM   #46
nemecb

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbenoy
Although video card drivers are a special case. They have a bunch of patent protected ubersecret stuff in them, so if you use the open source drivers that are installed automatically by most distros you can't do the really cool compiz type stuff. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong)
I believe the open source ATI 3d drivers will work with Compiz (better than the fglrx ones, IIRC), but unfortunately they only support older cards and have very limited extension support which makes them basically useless for games.
nemecb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-07, 07:38 PM   #47
gilboa
Linux addict...

Default Re: 8800 GT (OT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valdoror
You're totally right and I personnaly can't tolerate it anymore

I've been using Linux for 9 years now and I feel I've spent more time configuring things to get them work than simply enjoying my - great - operating system.

We're talking about video cards here, but it also applies to any kind of hardware (sound cards, printers, scanners, etc...).

Today I'm really fed up. I know the problem does not come from Linux developers, you've just given the right cause. But I can't wait any longer.

I just hope Linux support from hardware manufacturers will greatly improve in the coming years...

Until then, I'll be enjoying my 8800GT through Windows, my only choice for the moment
I'm not saying that you're right or wrong... but somehow, the word over-reaction seems like an under-statement when I compare your reaction to the actual problem.

You seem to got it back-wards: Instead of tailoring your hardware to match your requirements/environment, you tailor your requirements/environment to match your (newly bought) hardware.

Does having the first 8800GT in the block (instead of waiting, err, two weeks...) really warrants such a change? In my view, no - but if it does (warrant such a change) in your view, you are clearly using the wrong OS for your needs.

- Gilboa
LAP: ASUS N56VJ, i7-3630QM, 16GB, 1TB, 635M, F19/x86_64.
gilboa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-07, 01:37 PM   #48
Snow-Man

*bump*
Beta driver just released is working quite decently for me on my 8800GT, amd64, running 2.6.22-3, Debian/unstable.
Snow-Man is offline   Reply With Quote