Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-17-07, 01:23 PM   #73
gbil

Default Re: 8800 GT

Those of you who have a problem with the driver read the sticky on how to produce a bug-report!
gbil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-07, 04:22 PM   #74
Valdoror

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemecb
1) I've never found Mandrake/iva or Suse (I've never used Red Hat extensively) particularly bug-free as Linux distros go. If you want care-free you might try Ubuntu or one of the derivates (Kubuntu if you like KDE for instance). They're not perfect, but from what I hear they're very good (again, I've only used Kubuntu briefly, so I'm only repeating what I've heard).
Yes, I've been considering giving a try to KUbuntu for a while, but I didn't try that installation so far. Maybe one day. And hopefully it might reconcile me with Linux

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemecb
2) While I know that it's irksome, the reality is it was less than three weeks before NVidia supported this card. Now if that left you without a functional video card for that period of time, then I can see where you would be irritated. That's why I never leave myself without a backup card of some sort. But my point is that it wasn't an eternity, despite what it felt like running VESA drivers for that time. It's not ideal, but considering the marketshare Linux has, I would argue that it's pretty good (but feel free to disagree with me on that).
I do agree with you, that was pretty fast in the end. I was running with the VESA driver, so no need for a backup video card in that case.
Valdoror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-07, 04:42 PM   #75
Valdoror

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilboa
If you don't want to screw around with your home OS, you shouldn't be using a (semi-)bleeding edge distro to begin with.
You got it right, I surely don't want to screw around once back home. Unless I choose to play with something, like an Oracle server

Regarding SuSE, I thought that with Novell behind, we would get a rock solid distro, but that was a mistake.

Quote:
You're are switching to Windows XP, right? Not Windows Vista. Why not? Because Vista is too bleeding edge and you want a -stable- solution. (As far as Windows XP can be called stable...)
That's right, I switch to WinXP. Which is - IMO - stable enough. BTW that's really the first Windows version I consider as really stable. It took a looong time for Microsoft to release an acceptable product! I'm talking about the Professional version here.

Quote:
Same applies to Linux. If you're using Fedora/OpenSUSE/Mandriva you are more-or-less using a bleeding edge distro.
Mandrake 8.2 was really stable and I keep a good memory of that one. But I must admit the sequels were not as good...

Quote:
If you want a stable disto with zero post-installing-changes, you should consider switching to CentOS/RHEL, SLED or Debian stable. Sure, you won't have a chance to play with the latest improvements in the OSS worlds, but once it works, it works. Period.
Thanks for these advices. BTW, are RHEL and SLED available for free?!

I tried Debian 3.1 earlier but it disappointed me. After install, I got a 800x600 resolution with no sound at all That was my first and last Debian try.

PS: I thought about moving this personal thread to another forum, but I don't know how to do it. Sorry for the inconvenience.
Valdoror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-07, 04:51 PM   #76
tripwirecc

Quote:
Eeeeeeeeeeeek!
I've pre-ordered one. *Sigh*
If it's even remotely the same issue as I had, it was a PCI ID problem. Solved thanks to zander.
tripwirecc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-07, 05:40 PM   #77
Kid98

Is your solution posted somewhere Tripwire? It would make sense that the wrong slot id is being passed and that keeps things from initiating. I will try to post my logs later, gotta take care of some errands right now.

Kid
Kid98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-07, 06:13 PM   #78
zander
NVIDIA Corporation

@Kid98: tripwirecc's problem was discussed on the NVIDIA Solaris forum and is Solaris specific; if you are seeing problems on Linux, please generate and attach an nvidia-bug-report.log file (see http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=46678).
zander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-07, 07:42 PM   #79
Kid98

Log is attached.....

Edit: whoops first log was the wrong one, this one is the current install.... Sorry about that Zander
Attached Files
File Type: log nvidia-bug-report.log (120.1 KB, 120 views)
Old 11-18-07, 03:19 PM   #80
Kid98

Any chance you have had a minute to look at my bug log Zander? I am at a loss as to what to do.

Kid

Old 11-18-07, 03:33 PM   #81
zander
NVIDIA Corporation

@Kid98: I took a look earlier; it looks like initialization fails very early on, but it's not clear why. We'll most likely need to reproduce the problem internally. Do you know if the card works on Windows?
Old 11-18-07, 03:52 PM   #82
Kid98

No problems in Windows. I hope you can help, I miss my X.....

Kid
Old 11-18-07, 03:55 PM   #83
zander
NVIDIA Corporation

@Kid98: which NVIDIA graphics driver version are you using on Windows?
Old 11-18-07, 04:50 PM   #84
Kid98

Do you want me to try the 169.09 driver?