Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > Other Desktop Graphics Cards

Newegg Daily Deals

View Poll Results: Will you get a 9700 Or will you wait to compare it with the nv30 and get the better?
Get 9700 41 35.65%
Compare w/nv30 and get better one 74 64.35%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-23-02, 11:11 AM   #25
PreservedSwine
I'm always hungry

Quote:
Originally posted by Moose

If we get info that says NV30 will be about the same as the R9700 but will be delayed until next year, then I'll probably go with the R9700.

Either one you get is probably going to last a very long time in your system.
You may want to check this out:
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show...=&threadid=974

Basically, it boils down to this:
Quote:
Bottom line is that we can almost guarantee that there will be NV30 on the shelves in December but those may not be representative for the mass production that, if everything goes well, can be expected in February.
PreservedSwine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-02, 11:15 AM   #26
Mike89
Dude, where's my brain?

I'm going to wait for the NV30.

While ATI has really been impressing me lately, I'm still not quite impressed and confident enough to buy from them just yet.

Nvidia is just too solid with their products and drivers and that's all my current system has known.

I will reserve this decision for now and will continue to keep my eyes open.

My Ti 4600 is more than willing to stay put until I make my final decision.

Right now I am actually more interested in what AMD will be throwing down the pike. I can upgrade CPU and motherboard for about the same money as one of these vid cards.
I7 3770 @ 4.4 gig (Noctua NH-U14S Heatsink), ASRock Z77 Extreme6, 16 Gigs (2x8) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600, EVGA GTX 680 Signature 2, Acer P236H 23" (1920x1080), X-Fi Xtreme Gamer Pro, 2 WD 640 gig SATA HDDs, WD 750 gig HDD (eSata), WD 1TB Black HDD, Sandisk 32 GB ReadyCache SSD, 2 SATA DVD Burners, Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Speaker System, Corsair TX750w PSU, HSPC Top Deck Tech Station, Windows 7 Pro x64

Last edited by Mike89; 08-23-02 at 11:23 AM.
Mike89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-02, 12:32 PM   #27
jbirney

Quote:
Originally posted by sancheuz
well it might be manufacturing tricks or methods from nvidia, but i do know that nvidia said the nv30 would be the biggest leap in graphics in 10 years. I think nvidia has something big up their sleeves. That is why i am going to wait for the nv30. I think we might see more than a 10 percent performance increase over the 9700. I might be wrong, but i feel something alot bigger then the radeon.
You do realize that if you go back an look at each one of their major press releases you will see them saying almost the same thing.

Original GF PR:
The Biggest Thing to Hit 3D Graphics ....

GF2 PR
Taking a giant leap on the quest for truly interactive, cinematic-quality real-time graphics,...

GF3 PR:
Providing the catalyst for a new graphics revolution,...

GF4 PR:
the fastest, most innovative and powerful GPUs in the world,...

Granted they never said those exact words before but you can see that they have much such other forward sounding statement at the launch of a major new chip. Good love em for pushing the envlope. But biggest leap in graphics in 10 years? I dont think so. I would have bought it better had the R9700 not been out first. But now that we have 128 bit fp pipe lines and fully programable fp vertex shaders with flow control, how is their statement even pausable now?
jbirney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-02, 12:38 PM   #28
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

Quote:
Originally posted by jbirney

how is their statement even pausable now?
You never know. NV could surprise all of us.
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-02, 01:59 PM   #29
sancheuz

Quote:

You do realize that if you go back an look at each one of their major press releases you will see them saying almost the same thing.

Original GF PR:
The Biggest Thing to Hit 3D Graphics ....

GF2 PR
Taking a giant leap on the quest for truly interactive, cinematic-quality real-time graphics,...

GF3 PR:
Providing the catalyst for a new graphics revolution,...

GF4 PR:
the fastest, most innovative and powerful GPUs in the world,...

Granted they never said those exact words before but you can see that they have much such other forward sounding statement at the launch of a major new chip. Good love em for pushing the envlope. But biggest leap in graphics in 10 years? I dont think so. I would have bought it better had the R9700 not been out first. But now that we have 128 bit fp pipe lines and fully programable fp vertex shaders with flow control, how is their statement even pausable now?
Except all those statements are true. The original geforce was the biggest thing then to hit the graphics market. The geforce was a huge leap. The Geforce3 was nothing short then revolutionary with its programable effect engine. And the Geforce4 was and still is the fastest gpus in the world. So I believe nvidia when they make a statement. If they say it will be the biggest leap in graphics technology in 10 years, I have no reason not to believe them. OF course, that is my opinion... :-) But definiltely what mike said is true: "nvidia is a solid company" .

Last edited by sancheuz; 08-23-02 at 02:02 PM.
sancheuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-02, 02:42 PM   #30
jbirney

you do realise that this is a baised forum that caters to nV? So even though you have great people here...your not getting a true idea of what all of the people would do. What do you think the outcome of such a poll like this would be at rage3d? As long as you know that..then fine.

Quote:
Except all those statements are true.

Yes all of those times NV was in the lead. But all of there statements really did not come 100% True (cinematic-quality real-time graphics on a GF2....rrrriiiggggtttt). Today they do not have the the fastest most featured cards out there. So once again since the R9700 is out now, how can the NV30 possible be biggest leap in graphics in 10 years over what the R9700 brings?
Old 08-23-02, 03:39 PM   #31
Vid_craze

Cool Waiting...

The attempt for progress is ever willing to wait. Also would balance price/performance. I mean who whould spend 100 bucks for almost none noticable speed increase. then again you never know the NV30 might be the differance between g4ti4600 and Radeon 9700. Oh yea the optoins for 64-bit color is nice also.

Well there is my $.02 worth if that means anything hehehe.
Old 08-23-02, 04:37 PM   #32
PreservedSwine
I'm always hungry

Quote:
you do realise that this is a baised forum that caters to nV? So even though you have great people here...your not getting a true idea of what all of the people would do. What do you think the outcome of such a poll like this would be at rage3d? As long as you know that..then fine.
A less biased poll- same question - yields, um shall we say. a non-suprising, yet completley different result...

http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2188

Oh yes, sure the NV30 is going to be the greatest release in 10 years-----if it was released 2 years ago......

Old 08-23-02, 05:16 PM   #33
legion88
WhatIfSports.com Junkie

Quote:
Originally posted by PreservedSwine

A less biased poll- same question - yields, um shall we say. a non-suprising, yet completley different result...

http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2188

Oh yes, sure the NV30 is going to be the greatest release in 10 years-----if it was released 2 years ago......
I guess you don't know what "less biased" means then.

When one of the choices reads "the Radeon 9700 kicks ass", it is obvious that someone is trying the stack the deck. No such similar comment exists for the NV30 in that Beyond3D poll. Reverend (I assumed he was the author) should know better.

Now compare it to the poll here. There is nothing to suggest that the NV30 or the 9700 is better in the poll question itself or in the choices. There is obviously no attempt to influence the people's vote.
legion88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-02, 05:20 PM   #34
jbirney

Sorry by baised I ment that the crowd here are more or less people that really enjoy NV products. Over at B3D its more netural crowd hence less bias....
Old 08-23-02, 05:21 PM   #35
PreservedSwine
I'm always hungry

Quote:
Originally posted by legion88

I guess you don't know what "less biased" means then.

When one of the choices reads "the Radeon 9700 kicks ass", it is obvious that someone is trying the stack the deck. No such similar comment exists for the NV30 in that Beyond3D poll. Reverend (I assumed he was the author) should know better.

Now compare it to the poll here. There is nothing to suggest that the NV30 or the 9700 is better in the poll question itself or in the choices. There is obviously no attempt to influence the people's vote.
Dude- you are really reaching- thinking in this case the wording of the choices will affect the outcome.....

But you probably don't see it that way, do you? Take off the Nvidia goggles! They're just hardeware companies, and look at the products, and how they logically will compare. There are no magic bullets...truth is, the NV30 will just be a re-fresh of the R9700 on .13, and possibly DDR2...that's all..... We don't even know if they'll clock that high- they could have the same problems AMD had when they went .13, woth almost no room for higher clocks.....
Old 08-23-02, 05:59 PM   #36
legion88
WhatIfSports.com Junkie

Quote:
Originally posted by PreservedSwine

Dude- you are really reaching- thinking in this case the wording of the choices will affect the outcome.....

But you probably don't see it that way, do you? Take off the Nvidia goggles! They're just hardeware companies, and look at the products, and how they logically will compare. There are no magic bullets...truth is, the NV30 will just be a re-fresh of the R9700 on .13, and possibly DDR2...that's all..... We don't even know if they'll clock that high- they could have the same problems AMD had when they went .13, woth almost no room for higher clocks.....
Do you know how to read? Oops. We already know that answer and it is 'no'.

The discussion is about how to write a correct poll. "Juicing" up the choices to make one choice look better than the others is certainly not the correct way to make a poll. You, in your infinite non-wisdom, twist it around to mean something else (i.e. "they're just hardeware companies...blah, blah, blah").
legion88 is offline   Reply With Quote