Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > Other Desktop Graphics Cards

Newegg Daily Deals

View Poll Results: Will you get a 9700 Or will you wait to compare it with the nv30 and get the better?
Get 9700 41 35.65%
Compare w/nv30 and get better one 74 64.35%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-23-02, 06:17 PM   #37
PreservedSwine
I'm always hungry

Quote:
Originally posted by legion88

Do you know how to read? Oops. We already know that answer and it is 'no'.

The discussion is about how to write a correct poll. "Juicing" up the choices to make one choice look better than the others is certainly not the correct way to make a poll. You, in your infinite non-wisdom, twist it around to mean something else (i.e. "they're just hardeware companies...blah, blah, blah").
Jeez.....

No the discussion is not about how to write a "correct poll" The discussion is about the mass bias of the people on this sight. But you sir, have glossed right over it.... perhaps you missed it, I'll quote for you:

Quote:
Sorry by baised I ment that the crowd here are more or less people that really enjoy NV products. Over at B3D its more netural crowd hence less bias....
I do not wish to get into a discussion on the psycology on word association, as it has very little to do with the point. When people are voting in the poll, the wording of this poll in particular has little to do with how respondants will choose, as EVERYONE has an opinion about it. It is sad and ironic that you are completley missing the bias or non-bias of the members of each respective site.

Last edited by PreservedSwine; 08-23-02 at 06:36 PM.
PreservedSwine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-02, 06:25 PM   #38
Bigus Dickus
GF7 FX Ti 12800 SE Ultra

Quote:
Originally posted by legion88

Do you know how to read? Oops. We already know that answer and it is 'no'.

The discussion is about how to write a correct poll. "Juicing" up the choices to make one choice look better than the others is certainly not the correct way to make a poll. You, in your infinite non-wisdom, twist it around to mean something else (i.e. "they're just hardeware companies...blah, blah, blah").
Why does this type of ass-backwards logic seem completely at home in a post following your name?

A pet peeve of mine is when someone jumps into a discussion and declares that they, and they alone know what the discusion is actually about (i.e., they know what other people are thinking better than they do, etc.). Typically, as the case is here, they are the one who really has no clue.

And yes... I'm jumping in on this discussion.
Bigus Dickus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-02, 08:04 PM   #39
Kruno
TypeDef's assistant

Send a message via ICQ to Kruno Send a message via AIM to Kruno

Frankly I don't care what is fastest. My Geforce 3 runs MW perfectly with everything up on high resolutions. I will buy the R300 for the fact that I want superb video playback as well as some extras for my games. Speed is out of the question. Every bloody month or so a new card is released that is "faster". How can you wait? As soon as you walk out the store your hardware is already obsolete by another piece of hardware.
Old 08-23-02, 08:45 PM   #40
StealthHawk

who really cares if the users who take a poll are biased? most polls are not based on actual results anyway, because let's face it - not everyone votes. it's simply impossible to ever get a "correct" skew of what people think when considering this.

using the argument that people at one forum are less biased and therefore produce more "accurate" results is also misleading, because in real life, there are probably just as many biased people, if not more, out there who choose to buy only from one company.
Old 08-24-02, 12:05 AM   #41
DREDD

There's alot of Info and speculation that says the NV30 will be more programmable with more room for special effects. This may make it worth the wait if not the speed improvement. The games you play that take advantage of the special effects that can be produced on the card may make the purchase very worth it.
Old 08-24-02, 12:26 AM   #42
5150 Joker
100% Certified nVidiot

I'm waiting till the nv35 and r350 are out. Neither the R300 nor nv30 interest me.
5150 Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-02, 04:34 AM   #43
Kruno
TypeDef's assistant

Well when the Geforce 3 came out they said there will be games utilizing PS and VS very soon. I had to wait a year or more to get those games. MW came a year later and so has NWN. Every other game I play does not. How many games utilizing PS and VS are there now? Around 5. On top of that they don't use PS extensively at all. Just in water effects which barely turn up and when they do you find yourself too busy playing the game to notice the effects of the "realistic" water. MW I am too busy playing to notice the PS'd water.

Quote:
Originally posted by DREDD
There's alot of Info and speculation that says the NV30 will be more programmable with more room for special effects. This may make it worth the wait if not the speed improvement. The games you play that take advantage of the special effects that can be produced on the card may make the purchase very worth it.
Old 08-24-02, 04:42 AM   #44
StealthHawk

i'm sure there are a few more than 5...though not many more

Old 08-24-02, 05:06 AM   #45
Kruno
TypeDef's assistant

Most likely games I dislike and never heard of
Maybe I should have bought a Geforce 2 Ultra?
Old 08-24-02, 07:12 AM   #46
legion88
WhatIfSports.com Junkie

Quote:
Originally posted by Bigus Dickus
Why does this type of ass-backwards logic seem completely at home in a post following your name?

A pet peeve of mine is when someone jumps into a discussion and declares that they, and they alone know what the discusion is actually about (i.e., they know what other people are thinking better than they do, etc.). Typically, as the case is here, they are the one who really has no clue.

And yes... I'm jumping in on this discussion.
It would be nice if you people actually learn to read prior to responding. But obviously that is asking too much.

PreservedSwine made a claim that the Beyond3D poll was less biased. Here's the quote:

Quote:
A less biased poll- same question - yields, um shall we say. a non-suprising, yet completley different result...

You and PreservedSwine then twist it around to make it appear that it was I jumping into a thread and making these discussions out of blue while "missing the point".

Only an idiot would jump to the conclusion that forum members at XYZ site are less biased based on the result of a poll when one of the choices in that poll says that the "Radeon 9700 kicks ass". Not only did the 9700 got such a positive wording, the NV30 was referred to as "I can't wait in uncertainty". Is it not true that the U in FUD stands for uncertainty, as in fear, uncertainty and doubt? Or is that a different FUD?

"Radeon 9700 kicks ass" is obviously not one of the choices here at NV's poll. We can always pretend that "Get 9700" means "Radeon 9700 kicks ass". You people do a lot of pretending when trying to smear the reputation of forum members here at NV.

Last edited by legion88; 08-24-02 at 07:16 AM.
legion88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-02, 07:31 AM   #47
legion88
WhatIfSports.com Junkie

Quote:
Originally posted by StealthHawk
who really cares if the users who take a poll are biased? most polls are not based on actual results anyway, because let's face it - not everyone votes. it's simply impossible to ever get a "correct" skew of what people think when considering this.

using the argument that people at one forum are less biased and therefore produce more "accurate" results is also misleading, because in real life, there are probably just as many biased people, if not more, out there who choose to buy only from one company.
Polls (or surveys as some people call them) measure people's preferences. Definition of a poll:

Quote:
A survey of the public or of a sample of public opinion to acquire information.
http://www.dictionary.com/search?q=poll

Beyond3D's poll is an example of a bias poll. Definition of bias:
Quote:
A statistical sampling or testing error caused by systematically favoring some outcomes over others.
http://www.dictionary.com/search?q=bias

The favorable wording of the Radeon 9700 (it "kicks ass") is an example of "favoring some outcomes over others".

This same biased poll then is used as an argument that XYZ site is less biased. Faulty logic, faulty conclusion. But typical.
legion88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-02, 08:29 AM   #48
Geek_

Mr. "Legion" am I to gather that an nvidia fan site based on your conclusions is less bias then a non nvidia fan site? It seems obvious that the question you point out "No, the Radeon 9700 kicks ass, I can't wait in uncertainty and I need a better video card now. The Radeon9700 is it for me." was not intended to have the reaction that you portray. In fact it is posted to appear unreasonable so that a rational voter would not pick it. But it appears that the idea backfired on the "Reverned" (BTW a known nvidia fan.)

The other question in the poll in question from Beyond3D "Yes, I will wait to see NV30 reviews before I decide" is in its nature a far more reserved and appealing to any rational thinker. But the matter at hand is not so simple. Many feel that nvidia is about to pull an NV30 launch a la Geforce 3. http://www.*********.com/news.shtml#...0158925,34190,

This would address the matter of FUD that you are talking about as the NV30 is still vaporware yet there is plenty of FUD being spread with regards to the Radeon 9700 Pro as the NV30 is supposed to be so much more powerful ..bla bla bla.

What it is coming down to at this point is that many are clearly seeing that ATI is a viable alternative to nvidia and nvidias old tactics are failing them, which is what I believe that we are seeing in that particular pole from Beyond 3D.

When you say that some are belittling the regulars here at NVfansite.com with regards to bias all you are attempting to do is rouse the throng here without any real technical merit to your argument. You are the one that belittles them by lumping them into mindless zealots. To put my points here as simply as possible. All the talk of the NV30.. is the real FUD and the pole here is likely to be more bias for nvidia simply because it is an nvidia fan site. Your arguments hold no water.

Last edited by Geek_; 08-24-02 at 08:31 AM.
Geek_ is offline   Reply With Quote