Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-05-07, 05:26 AM   #1
TravisB

Default Stability Concerns

I seem to get a lot of system lockups when running the kernel module "nvidia" to display my video, as I've read has happened a lot. I built this system from scratch. an NF20-A2 board (MCP61 - controllers), a[n] [ASUS] 7200GS/7300SE video card, 2GB of memory, and a SATA hard drive (using an 8GB SWAP with a 4GB / and a few unimportant partitions to this topic), and an AMD X2 6000+ Currently using the 2.6.22.9-0.4 kernel, and compiling 26.23.1 to test the module with. [Using x86_64 by the way, forgot to say that D:]

I've had this problem with many stock kernels, and I've tried all of the "fixes" in the Stability Topic. I tried pci=nommconf and ide=poll both alone and together. I did try maxcpus=1 to see if this solved my problem, and it did. I'm not prepared to go from 3GHZ dual core to only one 1.5GHZ processor.

I of course can compromise with using any 2.6 kernel version (I'm not saying to compromise with you, I don't mean to be rude in any way-- I am just saying more-of "I'd love..."). Is there any specific kernel version I could [up,down]grade to that would allow correct multiSMP while having nvidia kernel module stability intact?

Thanks for the help,

~Travis.
TravisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-07, 09:27 AM   #2
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: Stability Concerns

Please see all the forum sticky posts.
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-07, 09:27 AM   #3
ctheo

#offtopic - with stability problems it won't hurt to run memtest overnight
ctheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-07, 11:18 AM   #4
zander
NVIDIA Corporation

There are known stability problems with NVIDIA Linux graphics drivers >= 100.14.11 and GeForce 7200/7300 series GPUs on SMP/multi-core systems. These problems should be resolved in future driver releases. In the meantime, you can fall back to the 100.14.09 NVIDIA Linux graphics driver release.
zander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-07, 11:39 AM   #5
ookami

Quote:
Originally Posted by zander
There are known stability problems with NVIDIA Linux graphics drivers >= 100.14.11 and GeForce 7200/7300 series GPUs on SMP/multi-core systems. These problems should be resolved in future driver releases. In the meantime, you can fall back to the 100.14.09 NVIDIA Linux graphics driver release.
Is this even with maxcpus=1 and idle=poll options set?

I just purchased a 7200 to replace my 8500 which doesn't work, and I've seen no support for here. Now I wonder if I should cancel that order and that no nvidia card will work.
ookami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-07, 12:15 PM   #6
zander
NVIDIA Corporation

In theory, the problem could reproduce even with these kernel parameters, though some users have reported that they help. As to your GeForce 8500 stability problem(s) (I assume you're referring to http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=101416), the fact that you were seeing problems even at the console suggests there may have been problems outside the scope of the graphics driver.
zander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-07, 03:39 PM   #7
TravisB

Quote:
Originally Posted by netllama
Please see all the forum sticky posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisB
I've had this problem with many stock kernels, and I've tried all of the "fixes" in the Stability Topic. I tried pci=nommconf and ide=poll both alone and together. I did try maxcpus=1 to see if this solved my problem, and it did. I'm not prepared to go from 3GHZ dual core to only one 1.5GHZ processor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctheo
#offtopic - with stability problems it won't hurt to run memtest overnight
I will the next chance I get, thanks! [memtest86, correct?]

Quote:
Originally Posted by zander
Thanks, that helps a lot more. I'll revert as soon as she's done rebooting. Thanks for the help!
TravisB is offline   Reply With Quote