Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-05-07, 10:06 AM   #1
casperlingus

Default Strange display issue, Dell Laptop (Quadro FX 2500)

Specs:
Dell Precision M90 Laptop
Dual Display, Laptop Monitor + Dell 2407 (both 1920x1200, 2407 is rotated).
Graphics Card: NVIDIA Quadro FX 2500

This setup has been working fine in Gutsy for the last week and fine in Feisty for months (with same xorg.conf). All I can remember doing when this started happening was installing a Windows image into VMWare Workstation. Is it possible that WS messed with display settings? I don't believe it was the VM, but I can't rule it out.

An GNOME SCREENSHOT of Thunderbird is shown below, and my xorg.conf and Xorg.0.log are linked:
http://66.16.6.172/img/MessedUpDisplayCensored.png
http://66.16.6.172/share/xorg.conf.2monitor
http://66.16.6.172/share/Xorg.0.log

Notice the missing captions from the buttons along the top, and the message lines beyond msg empty but icons still showing. If I mouse over the buttons or click on messages the text reappears, until the window is redrawn (temp covered by another window, minimized&restored, etc).

IMPORTANT NOTE: It's not just a visual problem -- the screenshot utility in gnome picked up the deformities too. Also, if I drag the window onto my other monitor, everything instantly appears normal. Dragging it back to the laptop monitor, it becomes distorted again. Rather, it looks like it doesn't finish rendering everything when it's on the laptop monitor, and it knows it didn't finish rendering it, but it doesn't fix itself.

Help??

-Casper

P.S. -- I should point out that this is not a Thunderbird issue. every window on that monitor is similarly distorted. It also happens in KDE, it's clearly on a deeper level.
casperlingus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-07, 10:28 AM   #2
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: Strange display issue, Dell Laptop (Quadro FX 2500)

Please see the forum sticky posts.
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-07, 11:19 AM   #3
casperlingus

The nvidia-bug-report is linked below:

http://66.16.6.172/share/nvidia-bug-report.log

Perhpas related: it was difficult get the information from nvidia-bug-report.sh because doing an Alt-Ctrl-F# leaves me with a blank screen. I ended up having to blindly login to the F6 terminal, stop gdm, and restart it with logverbose w/o knowing for sure I was even in a terminal. I can't boot into recovery mode because my HDD is encrypted and recovery mode doesn't handle that. What a pain. I hope I don't acquire any serious X problems...
Old 11-05-07, 11:37 AM   #4
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Does this problem persist without the Rotate option?
Does this problem persist if you are using the 'nv' X driver instead?
Old 11-05-07, 12:23 PM   #5
casperlingus

1) Problem DOES persist with the rotation disabled
2) Serious problems if I try to switch to 'nv' driver: display stops working entirely. I probably wouldn't be here if I wasn't so comfortable navigating the command line blind. Fwhew! I've tried multiple ways to switch to the 'nv' driver and I end up with a blank screen every time (tried removing potentially-nvidia-related options).

I tried undocking the laptop and booting using my 1-monitor xorg.conf. I have linked it below:

http://66.16.6.172/share/nvidia-bug-...g_1mon_Working

This configuration DOES work. The visuals are rendered correctly on the laptop monitor using the nvidia driver. I can even switch to the 'nv' driver and things work (unlike when trying it with both monitors). I attached the bug report so a diff might produce something useful.
Old 11-07-07, 10:16 AM   #6
casperlingus

Bump.

Is there anything else I can provide that would be helpful? Is this a legitimate NVIDIA issue or should I try another forum? If so, which one?

Thanks,
-Casper
Old 11-07-07, 11:00 AM   #7
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Have you tested with the 100.14.23 beta driver?
Old 11-26-07, 08:02 AM   #8
casperlingus

I didn't try the driver you suggested because I left town for two weeks and didn't want to risk messing up my computer before I departed. I was going to try the new driver when I got back, but everything seems to work now. Perhaps there was an Nvidia driver update pushed through the Ubuntu update system sometime in the last two weeks...?

Old 11-27-07, 09:23 AM   #9
casperlingus

Scratch that, the problem is back again. Perhaps a heating and docking station issue. I had no problems whatsoever using it on travel for two weeks, and it worked all day yesterday while docked. Now, first thing in this morning, the exact same problem has returned.

1) Attached monitor works fine, laptop screen has the display issues
2) Problem only occurs when docked (no second monitor attached when undocked)
3) Problem doesn't always occur when docked
4) Problem exists on a level such that it is captured by screenshot utility
5) Problem exists with or without second monitor rotated

Perhaps I'll try dual monitors *not* on the docking station. First I need to find some time to try it...
Old 11-28-07, 03:16 PM   #10
casperlingus

It must be a video card or overheating issue. I turned my computer off for a day, undocked it, hooked up the second monitor, and it booted fine. Within a few hours, the problem returned.

What still baffles me is that the deformities are captured by the screenshot utility. That means that the OS acknowledges the problem -- I'm not sure if this agrees with the overheating/GPU diagnosis. Is it possible?
Old 11-28-07, 05:37 PM   #11
AaronP
NVIDIA Corporation

Yes, it's definitely possible. What temperature does nvidia-settings report for the GPU? Does the situation improve if you enable Coolbits and underclock the GPU?
AaronP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-07, 11:29 AM   #12
casperlingus

it seems to be hovering between 65 C and 75 C (149-167 deg F). Wow.

I enabled Coolbits and underclocked the 2D graphics to 1/2 the original MHz and underclocked the memory on the 3D graphics about half way as well. I left my computer on overnight and it is now 67 C.

My CPU temp is 49 C/120 F, so I presume it's a problem with the video card (Quadro FX 2500). I've had to have it replaced before, I assume for similar reasons.

I assume 75 C is too high. Should I contact my IT dept about getting the card replaced?