Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-06-07, 07:32 AM   #25
SH64
MAXIMUM TECH

Default Re: Still no multi-core support Valve. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutcrackr
What resolution and settings were those taken at?
Same question ^
at lower res its no surprise to see a cpu limitation , but at higher res all dual & quad core cpus are the same usually.
if these scores were at res of 1280x1024,4xAA,16xAF or higher +High/V.High settings i'll be a happy camper.

- "My name is RAM and my tank is full"

http://warhawk64nv.mybrute.com/ <-- pupils go thaarrr! Or,
http://silenthunter64.mybrute.com
SH64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-07, 07:32 AM   #26
3DBrad

LOL,

Quad-core does help in Unreal Engine 3 games, I know from first hand experience.

I got a 25% increase in Roboblitz, and a 30%+ increase in Medal of Honor: Airborne when I went from a Core 2 Duo to a Core 2 Quad.
Old 11-06-07, 07:37 AM   #27
Q

I guess all you guys do is game on your machines? You all make it sound like dual and quad processors are worthless.

Going from single core to dual core, just in everyday usage, is a HUGE jump in system responsiveness and performance for the average user.

Quad cores are useless for everything. Long live quad cores!
Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-07, 07:52 AM   #28
rhink

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillyeagle
Thats what I'm saying, and the reason I still have a single, and why I'm just now moving to a dual. Hell, they are not even worth it for Crysis, unless you think a measly 15% is worth it. When it comes to games, clock speed is still more important than the number of cores.

I don't know what happened with Valve though, they were really hyping their hybrid threading model about this time last year.
I don't think they ever said that threading tech would make it into Source, at least not anytime soon. Seriously, for a game like HL2, does it really matter? It's several years old at this point (yeah I know there's new iterations, but that doesn't mean they are going to change the hardware the original engine targeted a ton).

The real issue with multicore gaming is designing an engine that'll scale as more cores are added, and doing that is difficult. You need to make some decisions early in the design process about how the application is going to be partitioned (course-grained multithreading), like with the UT3 blurb, talking about how you have heavyweight threads like rendering and game logic, then a bunch of smaller threads that take care of smaller tasks. So you'll likely see a huge benifit with that particular engine going from 1 to 2 cores, and depending on how much work the helper threads are actually doing... smaller gains after that. And that's exactly what we're seeing with the UT3 benchmarks coming out. Going from 4 to 8 with UT3 will likely show very very little gains, if anything at all..... but will it really matter? It'll be "fast enough", and newer games will more advantage of 4 and/or 8. But we won't see that until quad core processors are becoming cheaper/more commonplace.

It's sort of the same thing with HL2 and Source.... the game and engine were designed around 1 core, because that's what mattered when it came out. You really can't expect much adding more cores..... and does it matter? It runs fine on 1 core. That's why whining about "Well valve promises much and gives too little too late" or whatever just makes people look ridiculous.
rhink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-07, 07:55 AM   #29
3DBrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q
I guess all you guys do is game on your machines? You all make it sound like dual and quad processors are worthless.

Going from single core to dual core, just in everyday usage, is a HUGE jump in system responsiveness and performance for the average user.

Quad cores are useless for everything. Long live quad cores!
Indeed, I do a lot of video rendering/compressing and also 3d rendering.

Rendering ambient occlusion takes a while, and quad-core has made it that much easier. I got about a 100% increase in speed in 3d rendering, or to be exact 96%..
Old 11-06-07, 09:26 AM   #30
Madpistol
It's a wittle baby!

Send a message via AIM to Madpistol

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13
wow, so many funny people praising dual over quad. hilarious comments.
+1 the Quads may not overclock as well as dual-cores, but the CPU's run buttery smooth on pretty much everything. They are the ultimate multi-taskers, and games that are multithreaded get a massive boost over dual-core.

Seriously guys, why are you downing Quad Cores? Multi Core CPU's are the future. They aren't a fad. Start accepting it... They're going to be around for a while.

MadPistol's Rig

AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE (RB-C3) @ 4Ghz, 1.425 Vcore, 1.25V NB VID
Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme (w/ Scythe Gentle Typhoon 120mm fan)
Gigabyte UD3H AM3 790GX motherboard
XFX Radeon HD 5870
PNY XLR8 2x2GB CL8 DDR3 1600
G.Skill Ripjaws 2x2GB CL8 DDR3 1600
Soundblaster X-Fi Fatality Titanium
OCZ Vertex II 120GB SSD (OS drive)
Western Digital 500GB Caviar (black)
Western Digital 640GB Blue
Samsung DVD burner
Logitech MX performance mouse
Logitech G15 keyboard
Corsair HX 750-watt Modular PSU
Antec Nine Hundred case
Windows 7 Home Premium x64
ASUS MK241 24" LCD
ACER X241W 24" LCD - RIP
Madpistol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-07, 09:30 AM   #31
SH64
MAXIMUM TECH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madpistol
Seriously guys, why are you downing Quad Cores?
I'm not downing quad-cores , but the fact that not much games are making good use of it when devs hype it so much in the their interviews is whats disappointing me.

- "My name is RAM and my tank is full"

http://warhawk64nv.mybrute.com/ <-- pupils go thaarrr! Or,
http://silenthunter64.mybrute.com
SH64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-07, 11:05 AM   #32
NaitoSan
Student @ DigiPen

quad-core ftw! i like to brag that i'm able to render stuff faster and in short time than students at school. lol

later if not soon, quad-core will catch up in gaming.

Desktop: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.6GHz | ASUS P5K Deluxe/WiFi-AP | 4GB G.Skill F2-6400PHU1 @ 800MHz 4-4-3-5 | EVGA GeForce 8800 GTX 768MB | Western Digital Raptor X 150GB | Samsung 32" HDTV | Windows 7 Professional x64

Note: English is my second language so please bear with my grammar!
NaitoSan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-06-07, 02:34 PM   #33
sillyeagle
sillyego

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhink
I don't think they ever said that threading tech would make it into Source, at least not anytime soon.
I remember this quote:

http://techreport.com/articles.x/11237

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techreport
You won't have to wait for Half-Life 3 to enjoy the benefits of Valve's multi-core efforts, though. Multi-core optimizations for Source will be included in the next engine update, which is due to become available via Steam before Half-Life 2: Episode 2 is released.
But there is also this one:

http://arstechnica.com/articles/paed...ulticore.ars/1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arstechnica
Gabe mentioned that even if a million people upgrade to quad-core CPUs in a year (which Valve believes is not beyond the realm of possibility given its hardware surveys) those numbers weren't enough to pay for putting a box in retail stores that would require this hardware for best performance. However, Valve is in a unique position thanks to Steam, whereby they can deliver small bits of content directly to consumers at much lower cost to the company. While this technology probably won't make it into Episode 2, look for a repeat of the Valve Lost Coast HDR demo.
EVGA Intel X58
Old 11-06-07, 02:49 PM   #34
BioHazZarD
USCM Marine

Send a message via MSN to BioHazZarD

valve has promised us lot of things during all the years that all have failed why are everyone so god damn suprised about this..
Chieftec Miditower /w 5 case fans | Corsair 620W HX PSU | Asus M4N98TD EVO SLI | AMD Athlon2 X2 260 3,2GHz | Corsair 3GB PC3-10666 | eVGA Geforce GTX 460 1GB (336shader) | Samsung Spinpoint x2 250GB HD +SATA 320GB | SB Audigy 4 @ 2.1 | Samsung Syncmaster BX2331 TFT 23" running 1920x1080@60hz | Windows XP PRO SP2 | |
BioHazZarD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-07, 02:50 PM   #35
sillyeagle
sillyego

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madpistol
Seriously guys, why are you downing Quad Cores? Multi Core CPU's are the future. They aren't a fad. Start accepting it... They're going to be around for a while.
That's true, but I have yet to see any compelling evidence on why I should buy one NOW. 12 months ago people were raving about how foolish it is to get anything other than a quad, and here we are a year later, bagging a whole 15% at an equal clock speed.

As it stands the most CPU hungry game I own benefits more from clock speeds than number of cores, despite the fact it takes advantage of up to 256 cores. This game is FSX, and Senior PM of graphics at ACES Studio, Phil Taylor, has even said clock speed first, number of cores second, in that a high speed dual will out perform a lower clocked quad.

From the game benchmarks I am aware of, in every case, you can get more performance for less money buying a dual core.
EVGA Intel X58
Old 11-06-07, 03:09 PM   #36
sillyeagle
sillyego

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xion X2
Measly? 15% is a significant increase when you're talking about just 50-75 more dollars for a quad compared to a dual.
That 15% gain in Crysis only comes at equal clock speed, and it takes a lot more than an extra $75 to get a 3.0GHz quad.

I can buy a 3.0Ghz dual for $280, or a 3.0Ghz quad for $1000. So in order to get that 15%, its going to cost an extra $700.

And yes, for $700, 15% is measly. You could go for a Q6700 for $550, but you are negating that 15% gain, and yet it still costs $270 more. So anyway you figure it, at this point a quad is a waste of money for games.

If you do encoding, etc, then is of course a different story.
EVGA Intel X58