Old 08-22-02, 09:05 AM   #1
druga runda
Zeus Gromovnik

Default WOOT R300 at 400 mhz already!!!

A Gigabyte board at Anand

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.html?i=1686&p=4

Can you believe it!?!

Quote:
GPU to test the effectiveness of the cooling system. Being that the R300 is a brand new core and most overclocking utilities don't support brand new architectures until they have actually been available for a while, we didn't expect to be able to overclock the GV-R9700Pro. Much to our surprise, the latest version of Powerstrip (3.20) properly detects and supports overclocking the R300.

Powerstrip reported the core clock speed properly at 325MHz and reported the actual operating frequency of the memory at 310MHz (remember that the memory actually runs at 310MHz even though it transfers data twice per clock, which is why it is sometimes called 620MHz memory).

We played around with the settings and managed to overclock the R300 to an incredible 400MHz, an increase of 23%. The memory was only able to hit 337MHz DDR (effectively 674MHz), an increase of 8% but the core overclock was by far the most impressive of the two numbers.

One of the reasons that the overclock was so impressive is because of the sheer size of the R300 GPU itself. Remember that we're talking about a 110M transistor GPU built on a 0.15-micron process; we were shocked when ATI announced that they would be able to hit 325MHz on retail boards, but when we managed to reach 400MHz on the GV-R9700Pro we were amazed to the point of extreme skepticism.

In order to put our worries to rest, we then tried overclocking ATI's Radeon 9700 Pro card - the same card we used in our review. While we couldn't hit 400MHz on this card, we managed to get as high as 378MHz reliably. Without any additional cooling, this gave us a good deal of faith in ATI's ability to deliver an even higher clocked version of the R300 on their current 0.15-micron process. Should NVIDIA make an impressive showing of NV30 before the end of this year, it would not be out of ATI's reach to release a 350 - 400MHz R300 with faster memory to compete without any significant changes to the core.

It's clear that ATI is well aware of this potential of the R300, which is why they told us months ago that when the NV30 launches they will have something even faster up their sleeves. ATI doesn't need a 0.13-micron process to ramp up the clock speed of the R300, but they will need faster memory. Our astounding over****ing successes don't kill the need for a 0.13-micron R300, since ATI will eventually need to outfit each of their 8 rendering pipelines with a second texture unit once the move to faster DDR/DDR-II memory is made. What these results do mean however is that if the need arises, ATI can squeeze a bit more out of the current R300 (and so can yo

Well this is getting better every day... I think Nvidia has a problem on their hands, bigger than it seemed at first.

WOW!
druga runda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-02, 10:20 AM   #2
pelly

Yes...it's a fantastic card based on .15....
For the size, it is a great engineering success and a powerful card.

However, I highly doubt that this .15 card ( or any for that matter ) can compete with a well-engineered .13 part regardless of how high they set the core speed. Anand realizes this and draws attention to the fact that memory speeds will not be shifted to DDR-II until the shift to .13 is made.

Quote:
The main limitation at this point seems to be memory bandwidth and die size; the lack of additional memory bandwidth and die size constraints prevented ATI from going to two texture units per pipeline, which would definitely increase performance across the board.
Quote:
Our astounding over****ing successes don't kill the need for a 0.13-micron R300, since ATI will eventually need to outfit each of their 8 rendering pipelines with a second texture unit once the move to faster DDR/DDR-II memory is made.
pelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-02, 10:24 AM   #3
Bigus Dickus
GF7 FX Ti 12800 SE Ultra

Quote:
Originally posted by pelly
Yes...it's a fantastic card based on .15....
For the size, it is a great engineering success and a powerful card.

However, I highly doubt that this .15 card ( or any for that matter ) can compete with a well-engineered .13 part regardless of how high they set the core speed. Anand realizes this and draws attention to the fact that memory speeds will not be shifted to DDR-II until the shift to .13 is made.

Anand never says that DDR-II will wait for .13u. ATI could do it before, or after... no one knows. But, they have the ability to do it whenver they feel the need.
Bigus Dickus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-02, 10:35 AM   #4
Megatron
Powered by 6800GT

ATI already has stated that they believe there is still plenty of headroom on the .15 process over and above what they have achieved with the 9700.
Windows XP
Megatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-02, 11:37 AM   #5
Gargr

WOW

And ppl said 325+ Mhz on .15 is imposible or something like that??
Do you think ATI will release some 400/750Mhz R300 when NV30 is released?? Or maybe a .13 part with even higher clocks

And im getting a GF4 Ti4200
i need $$$

Last edited by Gargr; 08-22-02 at 11:39 AM.
Gargr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-02, 11:48 AM   #6
SnakeEyes

Send a message via ICQ to SnakeEyes
Thumbs up

You know, that sounds entirely possible. I just saw the comment elsewhere on overclocking, where the core went pretty high when overclocked. It seems as if all that would be needed would be faster RAM and some special edition 9700Ultra Pro's could be on the market, still using the .15 process.

Other than the RAM cost, it probably wouldn't (won't?) cost ATI much either, since it mostly would involve speedbinning to find the chips that will handle the even higher than the Pro core clocks, then pairing them with the faster RAM.

I still don't know what this means for nVidia, and especially nV30. I eagerly await real preview / reviews of that card. nVidia's history says they won't sit idle any longer than they have to when competing products start to get advantages..

(Who here thinks it would be nice to have cards that will run all our games at max resolutions with high AA and high aniso enabled, while getting framerates that never dip below our monitor refresh rates? Seems like this might be possible, at least until DoomIII hits.)
Old 08-22-02, 11:54 AM   #7
jbirney

Quote:
Originally posted by pelly
Dont automaticaly assume that .13u part will be faster than a .15u part. Yes there is a really good chance. But a part can only be as fast as its slowest link. we dont know where that slowest link is with the NV30. ATI handtweaked their design to get their speeds. Do we know for sure nV has done the same? Besides what happens if there are other bottle necks (like NV stuck on 128 bit bus) or something else?

I think the NV30 will be faster. But how much? I dont know but I doubt it will be that much faster given the fact that the R9700 can hit 400 Mhz mark.
jbirney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-02, 12:10 PM   #8
Megatron