Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-07-07, 01:55 AM   #13
Noodles

Default Re: Todays game length - Value for money?

My Philosophy...

A movie is 2-3 hours long... it costs 10 dollars.

If a game is 6 hours long... it should cost 20 dollars..

It should be 15 hours or more for it to cost 50.

But its had to judge this... because you have to factor in REPLAY VALUE...and MULTIPLAYER... and so for me.. most games end up being well worth 50 dollars.

WestDigi 7200 rpm 320g
WestDigi 7200 rpm 250g
Asus PK53 Deluxe mobo

^That's 4 years old, YIKES! time to upgrade!
Noodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-07, 02:00 AM   #14
Noodles

best gametime for my buck ever.... (we're talkign PC games)

Most Definitely Call of Duty 2... I played it often up until today... thank you call of duty 4..

and coming close up on it... MEDEIVAL 2 AND KINGDOMS

No joke... i've put sooooooooooo many hours in on the grand campaign..

But Spain had 50 regions and i'll be at jerusalem soon! lmao
WestDigi 7200 rpm 320g
WestDigi 7200 rpm 250g
Asus PK53 Deluxe mobo

^That's 4 years old, YIKES! time to upgrade!
Noodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-07, 04:37 AM   #15
Gnaddel

Best value for money? I'd say World of Warcraft if you play it "properly". Sure, it's 13€ a month over here, but I guess most of you guys know how long you can play for that....

Regular game, perhaps HL1 with all it's mods.

Audiatur et altera pars!
Gnaddel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-07, 10:22 AM   #16
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Send a message via AIM to NarcissistZero

I don't accept the premise of the question, I don't think they're any shorter now than they used to be, on average. I guess it would depend on what genres we're talking about, and whether we mean PCs exclusively or consoles as well.

Example: Super Mario or something like that on the Nintendo or Super Nintendo can be completed in like 20 minutes.

For the most part I think games are really easy now, and this means people complete them in short order. I usually play on hard modes for this reason, and generally I play for twice as long as most reviews say I will. I know I spent at least 8 hours on CoD4, probably closer to 10... reviews said it takes 4 or 5.

Also, replays are not factored in. Back in the old days Frogger might have taken 10 minutes to complete but the point of the game was to get better at it, get higher scores, and have fun. I will certainly be playing CoD4 again on the highest difficulty or in arcade mode... why? Sounds fun!

People who buy a game, spend the minimmum amount of time it takes to complete it, then forget about it are the ones complaining. There are some average quality games I do that with, but those are the games I wait to buy for $20.
NarcissistZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-07, 12:02 PM   #17
LycosV

I don't think that you can compare value of different entertainment mediums (ie movies and games). If you're into knitting you can buy some yarn for a few bucks and be entertained for days.

I think that game length is definatly getting shorter and I don't like it. Part of the length decreasing is due to the increase in time required to make games; better graphics means more work has to be put into making the environments we play in. FPS's are particularly hard because you generally see these places only once and for extreemly short periods of time.

The problem I have with the shrinking game lengths is that the game devs are making more and more profit now than they used to. They should be putting more time and money into the game length, not jacking up their profit margin. Also, some extra features, like Valve's development commentary, are ineffecient uses of time. While some users may like the commentary scattered around the levels, I'm sure everyone would prefer the devs spent their time doubling the gameplay hours.
LycosV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-07, 12:33 PM   #18
Destroy

Games are too darn short today. 20hrs of SP should be standard.

Vista64 Home Premium
Gigabyte GA-EP35C-DS3R
CPU E8500 with Corsair H50 cooler
HIS 6970, always 19x10res
Memory 8 Gig OCZ 1000@1024
Display Westinghouse 37" LVM-37w1 LCD monitor
Destroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-07, 12:43 PM   #19
Lfctony

We pay a lot as well. Console games are upwards of $90, PC games upwards of $60. Many games are worth it, others, not so much. Take Call of Duty 4. If you don't go multi, it's really not worth $60. Bioshock on the other hand was $70 and while there was no multiplayer, it offered much better value...
Fafnir: Intel Core 2 Quad 6600@3.2Ghz|eVGA 780i SLI|PNY GTX480 |Kingston DDR667 4096MB|WD Black Caviar 500GB|Seagate SATA 250GB|Seagate SATA 200GB| Seagate SATA 160GB|OptiArc AD-7173S DVDRW|Nec 3351 DVDRW|Creative X-FI XM|LG Flatron W2261V|Logitech X-530|Thermaltake Armor|Amptac 850W SLI PSU|Logitech G9 Mouse|Xigmatek HDT S-1283 CPU Cooler|Windows 7/FW 257.21

PS2 - Wii - Xbox - Xbox360 - PSP - GC - PS3 Owner

Boycott Starforce...

Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes?
Lfctony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-07, 02:30 PM   #20
muaddib

I get tired of Multiplayers and their related issues (pings, cheats, annoying people, children) quickly, but I can never have enough of a good SP, and there are very few multiplayers that offer the same amount of immersion and intensity of a quality SP (because SP is scripted, obviously).
I couldn't care less about MPs, so for a good value for money to me would be a top-notch SP. BioShock had no MP and it is retailed at full price, yet it offers, at least to me, great value, as the SP is amazing. If CoD4 didn't feature MP, it would be still good, as I'm gonna play the SP on the hardest level again and again and in different modes. People do rush these days.

If I would describe my taste in video games, it would be: Not to long, single-player only (or at least oriented), and (great) story/plot featuring games. MP is good to play with my friends or relatives, and it even doesn't have to be online (Sports game for instance).
muaddib is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-07-07, 02:37 PM   #21
DRen72
Eastern Pipistrelle

I know its mentioned everywhere, but Oblivion would be my pick for best value for the money when it comes to gameplay time. Best of all time would have to be the original Doom or maybe Half-Life with all the mods they had for those.
Storage: Corsair Force Series GT 265GB SSD / Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB / Two Seagate Barracuda 1.5TB drives
Optical Storage: Pioneer BDR-206DBKS
Sound: Sound Blaster X-Fi / Logitech Z-5500
Other: Antec P183 Case / Corsair AX-1200 Power Supply / Logitech G5 (v2.0) / Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000
Console: XBox 360 Elite
DRen72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-07, 02:40 PM   #22
Tygerwoody
mega ultra God Tit Lord

Portal = Best single player game of the year = only 3 hours

It might have been a cheap game, but still great.
Tygerwoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-07, 02:44 PM   #23
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tygerwoody
Portal = Best single player game of the year = only 3 hours

It might have been a cheap game, but still great.
2nd best. The Witcher is number one.
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-07, 03:09 PM   #24
nutcrackr
Super Registered User

Doom 3 wasn't too long for me, it had excellent variety in level design (yes it looked the same, but it was all very different to me) the monsters were slowly introduced along with new weapons, then you got the hell section and the caves section. I didn't get bored once going through it.

HL2 was just as long and I didn't get bored, even after a few playthroughs only a few bits are a little slow..

Max Payne 2 was around 5 hours for me, but it was awesome so I didn't mind, and I played it through many times. But if a game is only 5 hours and I don't play it through much then it struggles with value for money unless the mp is damn good.
nutcrackr is offline   Reply With Quote