Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-07-07, 04:26 PM   #25
jeffmd
Has a vegetation fetish

Default Re: Oblivion Platinum Pack VS The Witcher

Oblivion was able to hold me in with its graphics..and yea sure I wanted to hear the story out. Also the free roaming world is one of the best things... but as an rpg it sucks balls. The fighting.. the magic..the armor and weapon system.. its just all crap. I havnt playd the witcher yet but quite a few people like it.. it looks like it might be something worth checking out for rpg players.
Old 11-07-07, 04:42 PM   #26
Jonelo

The Witcher.
Jonelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-07, 05:35 PM   #27
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger

Poor Oblivion. I mean The Witcher kicks it's arse, BUT in Oblivion you can create your own character from scratch and while the main quest is bland, the side quests are awesome. I.E. The Dark Brotherhood and later Fighter Guild Quests. Also there is something to be said about the atmosphere, on horse back in the dark pouring rain coming across a small in a night.

Both a great games if you are looking for something more than your standard FPS or run and jump adventure..
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-07, 05:49 PM   #28
Noodles

for me, the whole concept of having to get "the better version" of the witcher is a con in itself.

i work at gamestop.. i put both games in the draw... i can choose touse my employee discount on either one.. but if i have to get the witcher another version.. i have to wait for it...pay full price...

and worst of all... if i get the normal version of the witcher.. should i feel gipped?

So because ill be in the hospital soon..

The Witcher - US VERSION VS The Obliv Plat Pack.. is it still worth it if i get the US edit?

(i have a feeling your gonna say yes... lol... but noones explained to me how you fight yet...is it alike or unlike wow?)
WestDigi 7200 rpm 320g
WestDigi 7200 rpm 250g
Asus PK53 Deluxe mobo

^That's 4 years old, YIKES! time to upgrade!
Noodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-07, 06:18 PM   #29
Woodelf
I should be gaming.

I haven't played The Witcher, but the leveling system in Oblivion has actually caused me to like Morrowind better. At least I have more favorable memories with Morrowind.
i7920 @ 4.0 DO - Gigabyte ud4p - g.skill trident 6x2 ddr3 2000 @1600 7.7.7.18.1 - Cogage true spirit/sythe kaze 2000 - 2x Raid "0" WD 500GB (black) - xfi fatal1ty pro - Asus 5970 900/1200 - Corsair 1000HX - Samsung px2370
Woodelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-07, 06:32 PM   #30
CaptNKILL
CUBE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodles
for me, the whole concept of having to get "the better version" of the witcher is a con in itself.

i work at gamestop.. i put both games in the draw... i can choose touse my employee discount on either one.. but if i have to get the witcher another version.. i have to wait for it...pay full price...

and worst of all... if i get the normal version of the witcher.. should i feel gipped?

So because ill be in the hospital soon..

The Witcher - US VERSION VS The Obliv Plat Pack.. is it still worth it if i get the US edit?

(i have a feeling your gonna say yes... lol... but noones explained to me how you fight yet...is it alike or unlike wow?)
Don't worry about the US vs. International version.

I bought the import version because I wanted 100% of the game, but now that I have it I see that very very little was actually changed. In the US version there is probably a bra or something covering any nips that are visible in the a few places in the international version.

Don't go out of your way to get the international one unless you absolutely must have the most adult and uncensored version of the game.

You probably wouldn't even notice if you had the US version though TBH, its still 100x more adult oriented than any other recent game.
ASUS VW266H 25.5" LCD - OCZ GameXStream 700W PSU - ASUS Xonar DX - Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Surround - Windows 7 Professional x64
---- HTPC ---- Asus M3A78-EM 780G - AMD Athlon X2 5050e 45W @ 2.6Ghz - 2x2GB Kingston PC2-6400 DDR2 - Sparkle 350W PSU
Seagate 7200.10 320Gb SATA - Seagate 7200.10 250Gb SATA - Athenatech A100BB.350 MicroATX Desktop - Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic
CaptNKILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-07, 10:11 PM   #31
Sidric
Evil Clown Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodles

(lol... but noones explained to me how you fight yet...is it alike or unlike wow?)

in a word: no. you initiate attacks with a mouse click yes, but in order to do the most damage you must continue clicking based on the visual/audio cues. this allows you to do combinations and some absolutely wicked damage. there are three styles: strong, fast, group and you have to choose which one to use based on the situation. you also have two different swords, which may vary some of the time, but by and large you will have a silver sword for monsters and a steel sword for humans.

there is also a magic system which allows you to stun, knockdown, do fire damage, etc. and it isn't a slapped on magic system either, some of the spells you use will make fighting a few monsters substantially easier.

there is so much more to this game(I didn't even mention the alchemy system), but you will just have to buy it to see for yourself.
[CPU]Intel Q6600 w/ TR Ultra-120 Extreme @ 3GHz
[Mobo]EVGA nForce 680i
[Memory]OCZ PC2-8500 4GB
[GPU] BFG GTX 260
[Sound] ASUS Sonar Dx
[HDD]
--WD Raptor 150GBx2(Raid 0 Striped)--
--Seagate Barrucuda 300GB--
[OS]Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit
[Monitor]Gateway FPD2485W

Live/Xfire/PSN: SidRic SteamID: 3_gh05t_3
Sidric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-07, 04:02 AM   #32
Blacklash
8^9^3

Try these reviewers for The Witcher.

http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/pc/witcher

I like The Witcher and I also enjoyed doing all the guild quests and side quests in Oblivion. Not to mention cleaning out many random dungeons.

Personally, I think you would do well with either.
SilverStone OP1000-E|SilverStone TJ10-B|Thermalright U-120 Extreme|Win 7 HP x64
Blacklash is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-08-07, 04:10 AM   #33
Jonelo

Reviews ?? Yes , the user reviews
Jonelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-07, 04:20 AM   #34
buffbiff21
*B4NNED*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptNKILL
The Witcher, hands down. At least for me.

Oblivion is a good game for what it is, but if you really want a good RPG, it can't even compare to the witcher.

Oblivion wouldn't be much different if it had no leveling or character advancement. And the story and NPCs are pretty thin. In that sense, it is a "light" RPG, with a lot of action.

The Witcher on the other hand, relies on character development completely and is a much much deeper game.

No doubt Oblivion is a larger game with more "stuff" and more likelihood to eat away more of your time, but its a sandbox game. You just run around and do whatever you want pretty much.

The Witcher, on the other hand, plays out like an open ended yet well scripted movie.

I actually never beat Oblivion. I put in over 100 hours and never finished the main storyline. It just didn't do anything for me. Its fun to just wander around and explore and there are a lot of cool side quests, but its just not a very deep or involved game.

If you're looking for a heavily story driven RPG like KOTOR, Vampire: Bloodlines, Deus Ex or (to a certain extent) older CRPGs like Baldur's Gate, The Witcher will be fill that void very well.

If you just want to explore and romp through some dungeons, and if you think stories and dialog just slow a game down, Oblivion is probably more of what you're looking for.

They are both great at what they are, but IMO, The Witcher is a much better game and will make the days fly by.

Oh, and the combat in The Witcher is awesome. 100x better than Oblivion's.
Well put. I am in perfect concurrence with this.

I say get both though. Oblivion is still fun just to explore the world. Characters, combat, and levelling system totally blow though.
Old 11-08-07, 07:06 AM   #35
saguy

The main problem I have with Oblivion other than the lack of story is that the world design is so boring. After a couple of hourís gameplay you will have seen just about every type of environment in the game. A third of the way through Oblivion I had no desire to continue exploration as I was no longer discovering anything new. The world is big but it repetitive. The dungeons all start looking the same. The characters are bland even though there are more model types than the Witcher. The Witcher characters are so much more distinctive in the way they sound, look and what they say - they are real breathing people. Artistically The Witcher is in a different league to the sterile Oblivion, it has so much more character and soul.

I do not know how people can compare the 2 games if the they have not played both.
saguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-07, 12:34 PM   #36
Vanzagar
Bring me Amberlamps

Wow, I had no idea the Witcher was so good, what baffles me then is Oblivion averaged website/magazine reviews in the mid nineties, yet Witcher is in the low eighties. Any idea why there is such a disparity from the users on this board and reviewers... only thing I can think of is that maybe Oblivion graphics were a little ahead of their time and maybe Crysis doesn't make the Witcher's look as good...

Thoughts?
Vanzagar is offline   Reply With Quote