Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-08-02, 04:44 PM   #1
osterhase

Default kernel 2.4.19 and 2960 -> black screen

hi,

afer upgrading to linux 2.4.19 (from 2.4.18) i installed the 2960-driver (.tar.gz-version). after the driver was installed successfully i typed startx and the only thing i got was an empty black screen and i couldn't do anything more, the keyboard was not responding. same thing after rebooting. since 2960 worked well with linux 2.4.18 this result was really surprising. does anybody know what went wrong?

suse 8.0
kernel 2.4.19
gf 2 mx
amd athlon xp
Old 08-09-02, 03:36 AM   #2
manasseh

I get this too, so any help would be appreciated...

i'm using

debian 3.0 kernel 2.4.18-bf2.4
geforce 2 mx 400
512mb ram
lg studioworks 77m monitor

it's an added pain because i have linux boot straight into kdm, so i can't even get to a console to take off the nvidia drivers. i'm having to run windows safemode just to get on this forum!

additionally: it doesn't seem to work under windows either, just black screen on startup followed by more black screen...
Old 08-09-02, 06:39 AM   #3
osterhase

? doesn't work under windows either? i dont think this is a nvidia-problem.

did you change something in the bios? you have to use "no pnp-os" and "assign irq to vga" to get the driver work in linux. check your bios-settings, this could be the reason.

well, i simply downgraded to 2.4.18 and things are working well again...
Old 08-09-02, 06:59 AM   #4
MarioLanning

Unhappy I get the same thing.......

I am currently running RedHat Linux 7.3 i386 on a dell Optiplex GX240 with KDE 3

Which RPM do I download. I tried one and... Boy did my computer wig out! Black screen, nothing else. Then the screen started flickering after I left the black screen up all night hoping it was just slow.. I had to reinstall red hat and wait the hour it takes to update all the packages wit their system update utility. Not to mention the hours in reconfiguring.

This is my video card information from the cat /proc/pci command

Bus 1, device 0, function 0:
VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV15 Bladerunner (GeForce2 Ult ra) (rev 164).
IRQ 4.
Master Capable. Latency=64. Min Gnt=5.Max Lat=1.
Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xfc000000 [0xfcffffff].
Prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xf0000000 [0xf7ffffff].
Old 08-09-02, 07:54 AM   #5
Bern
Slacker

Send a message via ICQ to Bern

I'm using kernel-2.4.19 with the latest nvidia driver and everything is sweet here, The only thing that I can think of is that you missed something in your kernel config, did you compile in framebuffer support?
Old 08-09-02, 01:07 PM   #6
MarioLanning

I'm a linux newbie, there could be any number of unknown combinatipns here. Its a default install of red hat and I stay out of settings I dont know what are.
Old 08-10-02, 06:32 AM   #7
manasseh

Quote:
did you change something in the bios? you have to use "no pnp-os" and "assign irq to vga" to get the driver work in linux. check your bios-settings, this could be the reason.
has been set to "no pnp-os" for like ever, and it's even on agp2x due to the VIA chipset being rubbish. there is an irq assigned to vgs, but i'll double check everything and fiddle with it a bit. i have suspisions that it could be the card thats faulty

perhaps i'll just take it back to the shop cos it doesn't work, eh?

windows has progressed to loging on, but then freezing.

i hate computers, really i do.
Old 08-22-02, 06:24 PM   #8
tart666

Hey guys, I found this while looking for help.

The procedure differs slightly from the straight install, apparently this is what you are supposed to use in case you have a conflict. And I know, the fix uses 7.3 as an example, it should help with 8.0 anyway, no?

Anyone wanna try and post the conclusions? I don't dare touching my machine, I really don't want to screw it up so I have to reformat.

T
tart666 is offline   Reply With Quote