Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Home Theater A/V

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-08-07, 06:46 PM   #13
NaitoSan
Student @ DigiPen

Default Re: HD DVD vs. Bluray - what's the staus?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13
yeah right.

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/sh...s_Numbers/1117

I think if it's true about Transformers HD DVD sales controversy, then Spiderman 3 may be #1 best selling HD title on both formats.

UPDATE: Also I found this article regarding WB moving on Blu-ray exclusive. WB said they have no plans to cease its dual-format stance, pledging a strong line-up for both Blu-ray and HD DVD in 2008.

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/1135

OP,

Maybe you want to wait until CES in Jan, maybe we'll expect some big announcement on Blu-ray / HD-DVD stuff?

Desktop: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.6GHz | ASUS P5K Deluxe/WiFi-AP | 4GB G.Skill F2-6400PHU1 @ 800MHz 4-4-3-5 | EVGA GeForce 8800 GTX 768MB | Western Digital Raptor X 150GB | Samsung 32" HDTV | Windows 7 Professional x64

Note: English is my second language so please bear with my grammar!
NaitoSan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-07, 07:23 PM   #14
evilchris

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaitoSan
At this moment, Blu-ray is winning but who knows. Rumors that Warner Brothers' considering moving to Blu-ray only since most of their titles sells more on Blu-ray than HD-DVD. A lot of online sites or retailers drops HD-DVD because Blu-ray sells well. Local BestBuy had expanded Blu-ray while HD-DVD remains the same. Blu-ray has more studio suppoters than HD-DVD.

This holiday, stuff is looking good for Blu-ray. Also keep it in mind, several studios finally get in picture feature on Blu-ray so now HD-DVD isn't only one that has those features. Blu-ray is catching up quickly and offers what HD-DVD is currently offering. I noticed HD-DVD movies price is slightly more than Blu-ray movies... hmm.
The entire post above was FUD and bull****.

1. No one is "winning" yet.

2. These is no "rumor" that WB is moving BD exlusive, unless you cite blu-ray.com as a source.

3. BD does *not* sell well. Neither format does. Sales of both are abysmal. BD is .6% of the disc market with HD DVD .4%. That is not "selling well."

4. No one cares about your local Best Buy. At all of mine, HD DVD's shelf space is larger. Irrelevant.

5. BD still lacks a 1.1 player, you get no HD DVD equivalent features without it.

6. Both have about equal support. # of studios is irrelvant. # of titles is what counts.
Old 11-08-07, 07:24 PM   #15
evilchris

Quote:
Yeah, everyone was surprised to hear Dreamworks/Paramount moved to HD-DVD exclusive. Rumors that they were paid to become exclusive (I think). Too bad Transformer didn't sell well or even beat Blu-ray best sellers.
Transformers is the #1 selling HDM title period. Sorry. It is also the fastest selling HDM title. If it didn't "sell well", then the entire BD catalog didn't "sell well".

The situation has been worsening for BD and will continue to get worse. Both formats will be here as movie formats through 2008 at the very least.
Old 11-08-07, 07:38 PM   #16
evilchris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaco
Hey everyone!

I hope this is the right forum. I want to give my dad the first season of either Lost, Prison Break or Heroes and I think I'll end up with heroes. He's a hifi tech nerd (or he has been at least) and he says he waits until there's a clear winner before he buys an HD-DVD or Bluray player. Some time ago I felt that the sentiments in here on nVnews lied with HD DVD (not least because of evil chris I guess ), but what's it like now with many several firms having changed sides or so I've heard, Blockbuster selling Bluray exclusive etc., but I can see that I can only get Heroes on HD DVD. I want to do that, but not if Bluray is gonna win the format war and my dad ends up buying a bluray player instead. So...?
Should be another sale of lower end HD DVD players before Christmas for $99. Get one. If it "loses", who cares, it's $99. The discs you have don't explode either, you can still use them. The wait could be 2 - 3 + more years, might as well start enjoying HD now.
Old 11-08-07, 08:14 PM   #17
NaitoSan
Student @ DigiPen

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilchris
The entire post above was FUD and bull****.

1. No one is "winning" yet.

2. These is no "rumor" that WB is moving BD exlusive, unless you cite blu-ray.com as a source.

3. BD does *not* sell well. Neither format does. Sales of both are abysmal. BD is .6% of the disc market with HD DVD .4%. That is not "selling well."

4. No one cares about your local Best Buy. At all of mine, HD DVD's shelf space is larger. Irrelevant.

5. BD still lacks a 1.1 player, you get no HD DVD equivalent features without it.

6. Both have about equal support. # of studios is irrelvant. # of titles is what counts.
You didn't read my other post. I posted a link that WB did confirm they're NOT going to go on Blu-ray exclusive, therefore there WAS a rumor about WB on Blu-ray exclusive. Blu-ray.com isn't only source, other sites reported that rumor.

I didn't say my local BestBuy means it apply to all BestBuy.

There is Blu-ray Profile 1.1 player coming from Panasonic, and PS3 is getting it via firmwire update. In matter of time, Blu-ray will catch up which I said in previous post.

It's matter of opinion and I say Blu-ray seems to be winning if not by large margin. It's ok if you disagree. I like HD-DVD, my brother has the player. But I have PS3 and can't afford HD-DVD player so Blu-ray is only choice for me.

For me, # of studios backing up a format is important to me. Maybe not to you.

Abysmal or not, Blu-ray seems to have the edge in sale records so I say Blu-ray sells well. (I never said it sells better than DVD or whatever, if that's what you were trying to say.)

Again its matter of opinions. But don't act like you're God of HD or something because you're not.

Desktop: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.6GHz | ASUS P5K Deluxe/WiFi-AP | 4GB G.Skill F2-6400PHU1 @ 800MHz 4-4-3-5 | EVGA GeForce 8800 GTX 768MB | Western Digital Raptor X 150GB | Samsung 32" HDTV | Windows 7 Professional x64

Old 11-08-07, 09:55 PM   #18
Ruined

HD DVD is better - same a/v quality, players are less money yet have more features, more interactivity features in hardware and software, ability to have hidef and standard DVD on the same disc which isnt possible on Blu-Ray, and most importantly less intrusive DRM. Blu-Ray's BD+ Advanced Countermeasure DRM allows the running of executable files on your computer & player without your permission if it thinks you are being naughty. Just imagine how much studios like Fox and Sony are going to abuse the hell out of that in the future!

BD may have stayed the course for 2007 due to PS3, but HD DVD has now hit the below $200 pricepoint on standalones. Walmart sold like 100,000 the first weekend of November alone. Also, the rumor about WB moving BD exclusive is humorous. WB recently came out and said it was complete BS. And, if you've been following the HD wars you'd know that if WB went exclusive to either side it would be HD DVD easily. WB have more HD DVD releases in general, their HD DVD releases often have more features than the BD, they have more patents in HD DVD, more WB HD DVDs with lossless tracks compared to WB BDs, Warner authors to HD DVD first and then simply ports it to BD using Microsoft's software, and finally Warner/HD DVD promo group are practically tied at the hip - WB is currently co-sponsoring a Walmart/HD DVD ad push in Canada with them and even let the HD DVD group use footage from the Matrix ("Take the red pill!") to promote HD DVD in recent advertisements. Combine all of the above with the landslide of HD DVD standalones that are being sold now by Walmart and WB would easily go HD DVD exclusive before Blu-Ray; they don't want to depend on gamers for movie sales, and Warner have outright said this.

Long story short, go with HD DVD, its not only the better choice but it also gives intrusive DRM and anti-consumer practices the middle finger.

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 2.66GHz CPU | Intel G965WH mobo | 8GB (4x2GB) DDR2-667mhz CAS5 RAM (1066MHz FSB) | BFG GeForce 285 GTX OC 1GB | Dell E228WFP 22" DVI-HDCP LCD Monitor | 1TB Western Digital RE3 SATA2 Main Drive | 500GBx2 Western Digital RE3 SATA2 Scratch Drives in RAID0 | Western Digital RE3 1TB SATA2 Media Drive | External 2TB Western Digital MyBook Backup Drive | Adaptec eSATA 3.0gbps PCI-E interface | Sandisk External 12-in-1 Flash Card Reader | LG GGC-H20L HD DVD/BD reader, DVD writer | LG GGW-H20L HD DVD/BD reader, DVD/BD writer | Microsoft E4000 Ergonomic Keyboard | Logitech Trackman Wheel | Antec P182 ATX Case | Thermaltake ToughPower XT 850w modular PSU | KRK RP-8 Rokit Studio Monitors | Windows Vista Ultimate x64
Ruined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-07, 01:55 AM   #19
Zelda_fan

Quote:
You didn't read my other post. I posted a link that WB did confirm they're NOT going to go on Blu-ray exclusive, therefore there WAS a rumor about WB on Blu-ray exclusive. Blu-ray.com isn't only source, other sites reported that rumor.

I didn't say my local BestBuy means it apply to all BestBuy.

There is Blu-ray Profile 1.1 player coming from Panasonic, and PS3 is getting it via firmwire update. In matter of time, Blu-ray will catch up which I said in previous post.

It's matter of opinion and I say Blu-ray seems to be winning if not by large margin. It's ok if you disagree. I like HD-DVD, my brother has the player. But I have PS3 and can't afford HD-DVD player so Blu-ray is only choice for me.

For me, # of studios backing up a format is important to me. Maybe not to you.

Abysmal or not, Blu-ray seems to have the edge in sale records so I say Blu-ray sells well. (I never said it sells better than DVD or whatever, if that's what you were trying to say.)

Again its matter of opinions. But don't act like you're God of HD or something because you're not.
You crock more **** than Michale More after an all you can eat buffet.

HD-DVD will win because they will be the first ones to get a player below $100. It'll probably happen this Christmas. Blu-ray will NEVER catch on because Joe Public will NEVER pay $500 for a movie player. EVER.

Price is what will win this war as both formats basically give you the same thing audio and visual wise (with HD-DVD currently having an edge in that regard).
Zelda_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-07, 06:20 AM   #20
Gaco
L4D & DoW2 ftw!

Hmm even Sony is not totally confident in Bluray's success anymore it seems: http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2007/11...ger_on_bluray/

Anyway my mind is made up; I made this thread in hopes that now after a year a clear winner could be chosen, but that doesn't seem to be the case, thus I'm gonna give him both an HD DVD movie (Heroes Season 1 Boxset or Transformers.. think I'm gonna go Heroes) and a Blueray movie (prolly 24, Prison Break or Lost.. think I'm gonna go Prison Break) for chrismas! That'll teach him to buy a player for both formats since he meeds all the conditions for a groovy movie experience except for the players themselfs.. yeah.. that'll teach him! Can't wait!

I'll wrap the HD DVD movie in red paper, the Bluray in Blue and play them both in a custom made "happy box", it's gonna be sweet

Now for his birthday he'll just get a note saying something like : "You're in for a pleasant surprise for chrismas, and don't worry it'll be worth the wait and double the value of any single present"
CPU: Intel Core2 Q6600@3.3ghz w. Noctua NH-U12P
RAM: 4Gb Crucial Tracer PC-8500
Graphics: XFX Radeon HD 5970 Black Edition
Harddiscs: 2xRaptorX 150gb 10.000 RPM in RAID0
Soundcard: X-Fi Xtreme Gamer
Sound: Sennheiser HD600 Headphones + headamp
Keyboard: Logitech DiNovo Edge
Mouse: Razor Orochi
Monitor: Samsung 2232BW (22" 1680*1050)
Gaco is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-09-07, 10:59 AM   #21
gmontem

Quote:
I'll wrap the HD DVD movie in red paper, the Bluray in Blue and play them both in a custom made "happy box", it's gonna be sweet
Noticed your forum title... you should slap some TF2 Red and Blu team logos on the boxes, too.
Old 11-09-07, 02:02 PM   #22
Lyme

Quote:
Keep the receipts, just incase.
Lyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-07, 02:06 PM   #23
Lyme

Quote:
Hmm even Sony is not totally confident in Bluray's success anymore it seems: http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2007/11...ger_on_bluray/
That was a bad comment for him to make, while it is true, before he held the position that BD was king.

As things go, the formats have virtually the same quality, same features, etc.. The big difference is slightly more room on the BD disc, and BD costs both more to manufacture and more to put together the interactive content.

note: For BD you need someone to write java code to handle the interactive content, while on HD-DVD it is a simple exercise in writing XML (and MS provides a software kit to do that).
Lyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-07, 04:48 PM   #24
NaitoSan
Student @ DigiPen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelda_fan
You crock more **** than Michale More after an all you can eat buffet.
What's the matter? I only share what I read (so far) and I didn't make them up. I happen to prefer Blu-ray myself. No need send personal attack. I did you no harm and if you disagree then do it in good manner. I'm cool if you prefer HD-DVD, I'm not going to try and change your mind. Take it easy...