Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > Crysis

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-19-07, 01:03 PM   #145
Zeus666

Default Re: Crysis Screenshot Thread

i could only say that i watched the raw fraps video and it happen really.
Zeus666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-07, 01:17 PM   #146
einstein_314
w00t!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmd
nanosuit, the confusion seems to be stemming on your claim that the resolution the game is running in..and your monitor..are different. So..wtf is this strange monitor of yours? is it lcd? crt? whos scaling what?
It took a while for me to understand him too. But I do now, and he's right. He has a CRT. What he's saying is that when he increases the resolution he plays at, because he has a CRT the picture as seen by him sitting in front of the CRT appears to become more and more detailed as the dot pitch effectively decreases. Less jaggies and the like. So for us with LCD's, the only way to really visualize this is to take a screenshot at whatever res he's runnign at, and downsize it to be physically the same size as his CRT. He basically gets supersampling AA on his CRT.

It's kindof a weird way of thinking about it, I surely never did. But it definately makes sense.
Logitech Z-5300 Speakers || Sennheiser HD555's || Logitech G7 || Logitech G15 || Windows Vista Ultimate x64
einstein_314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-07, 01:51 PM   #147
Nanosuitguy
call me Nano

Send a message via MSN to Nanosuitguy

Thanks einsten, that is exaktly what i meant. Sorry for confusing everything I just didn't find the right way to express it...

The supersample vegetation AA is working, but only when i have the pistols drawn for some strange reason.

This statement was said by James Wong on nVidia;

” Crysis handles foliage very differently from normal engines so TRMS/SS won't work. Bit of a shame really. The game has some built-in foliage AA, but it only kicks in in "Very high" quality mode.”"

Apparently it does work, and with a little impact on the performance. Witch i proven in my pictures and in my video. Using this supersample AA for the vegetation combined with the regular AA and a high resolution such as 1920x1440 or higher really gives a truly fantastic quality to the game, even tho its running at 5 - 10 fps on that resolution it looks amazing... And really make the game look like in my wallpapers witch were taken without SSAA but was downsized from like 4200x3000 to 1650x1080...
Nanosuitguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-07, 02:48 PM   #148
m3dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by einstein_314
It took a while for me to understand him too. But I do now, and he's right. He has a CRT. What he's saying is that when he increases the resolution he plays at, because he has a CRT the picture as seen by him sitting in front of the CRT appears to become more and more detailed as the dot pitch effectively decreases. Less jaggies and the like. So for us with LCD's, the only way to really visualize this is to take a screenshot at whatever res he's runnign at, and downsize it to be physically the same size as his CRT. He basically gets supersampling AA on his CRT.

It's kindof a weird way of thinking about it, I surely never did. But it definately makes sense.
it isnt comparable tho. when u increase the resolution on a crt monitor your basically just rendering the scene with smaller pixels. when u downsize a pic all the extra pixels are used for sampling calculations and blending. so if u downsize a 1920x1440(2764800) pic to a 1280x960(1228800), you have 1536000 pixels to use for sampling and blending calculations. the quality wont be comparable.
m3dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-07, 04:01 PM   #149
Nanosuitguy
call me Nano

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3dude
it isnt comparable tho
Oh yes it is... prove it ^^

When i play the game at 1920x1440 with supersample AA it does look like those downsized pictures. Quality is priceless. Youre much of emptry words and numbers here and there without any real prof m3. And that really sucks... You want me to take a picutre with my digital camera on my screen when i play at that res so u can see that it got the same quality?
Old 12-19-07, 04:43 PM   #150
m3dude

no because the digital camera is going to hide all the aliasing anyway. theres nothing to prove, its common sense. downsizing a picture uses extra pixels for sampling and blending. raising the resolution on your monitor does not.
m3dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-07, 06:09 PM   #151
jeffmd
Has a vegetation fetish

m3dude, you do sort of get an AA/blending going if you exceed the capabilities of your CRT (generaly crt's will run at resolutions that have more pixles then they do RBG elements). Also the size of the CRT may help too. Running high resolutions on a 15 and 17inch crt make the pixles so small to your eye, that they get natural blended by your brain. The shot would be comparitive because as the blurb above stated, MS/SS dosnt work on foliage (for the most part..i know it didn't work for me) however with a high enough resolution + the blur of the crt, you could effectivly blend the edges like you can in the editor.

Its not a BAD was for obtaining free AA. I know on need for speed underground 1/2, high resolution was good, AF was a must or the road looked like ass ahead of you, and AA helped with things like fences and guard rails, but my system couldnt do all 3. So I pumped up the resolution and AF, and let my CRT screen blend the small pixles. It gave me more detail then a lower resolution with AA.

Still dosnt stop the fact that IMO lcd > crt in pretty much every way. Colors, crispness, Size, power use, heat generation... I dont miss my crt monitors at all.
Old 12-19-07, 06:21 PM   #152
GitDat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmd
Still dosnt stop the fact that IMO lcd > crt in pretty much every way.
LCD motion blur FTL
EVGA Z77 FTW | Core i7 3770k @ 4.7GHz | 16GB G.Skill Trident-X 2400MHz | SLI EVGA GTX Titan SC's | Intel 520 SSD's RAID-0 | ThermalTake 1475watt | 3DMark Fire Strike Extreme - 8941 | Windows 8 Pro 64-bit | NVIDIA 3D Vision Surround
GitDat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-19-07, 06:25 PM   #153
SlickRig
*BANNED*

Quote:
Originally Posted by GitDat
LCD motion blur FTL

Uhh yeah you might want to stay away from 16ms response time lcds for gaming bro.

5ms here and no ghosting whatsoever. I would never go back to CRT. EVER.
SlickRig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-07, 06:34 PM   #154
Nanosuitguy
call me Nano

m3 seem to have a widescreen LCD so he cant really see what i see, I see when i run crysis at 2058x1536 with 4xAA and supersample AA for the vegetation that it really looks like those pictures that are taken without supersample AA and only downsized. My photoshop messed up right now, but i took a screenshot at 2058 resolution and will post it here as soon as i get photoshop working. I need to resize it to 1280x960 so it represent the quality i get on my 19" crt monitor.

Then compare it beside a real downsized picture of the same area...

Gonna reboot and see if it helps, brb
Old 12-19-07, 06:36 PM   #155
GitDat

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickRig
Uhh yeah you might want to stay away from 16ms response time lcds for gaming bro.

5ms here and no ghosting whatsoever. I would never go back to CRT. EVER.
That's because you are used to it.. bro

My 102lb 24" CRT pwnz j00
EVGA Z77 FTW | Core i7 3770k @ 4.7GHz | 16GB G.Skill Trident-X 2400MHz | SLI EVGA GTX Titan SC's | Intel 520 SSD's RAID-0 | ThermalTake 1475watt | 3DMark Fire Strike Extreme - 8941 | Windows 8 Pro 64-bit | NVIDIA 3D Vision Surround
GitDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-07, 06:45 PM   #156
SlickRig
*BANNED*

Quote:
That's because you are used to it.. bro

Umm no, I had been gaming on CRT's ever since owning a PC and until recently decided to go with a 19"LCD and then shortly after that a 22"LCD.

The 19inch had an 8ms time and it didnt ghost either, my 22" has an even faster 5ms time.

No ghosting as I told you and the colors are just brilliant. I will never go back to a CRT but if you like yours then stick with it.

Quote:

Sure it does, maybe if you were to use it as a bomb and target my house as you flew over.
SlickRig is offline   Reply With Quote