Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > Console World

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-09-07, 10:57 PM   #1
Tygerwoody
mega ultra God Tit Lord

Default Super Mario Galaxy: Super Mini Review

I'll keep this short and sweet. I ended up buying Mario Galaxy. Was going to rent it, but it wasn't at the video store.

Graphics: For the Wii, they are good. Not really much to say here. They have a very good art direction with the game, but thats what Mario games have always been known for.

Sound: Its Mario. Simple "YipEE!" sounds are all I expected out of the game and thats exactly what I got. Sounds was good... for the Wii.

Gamplay/Controls: Although I still think the Galaxy idea is kind of dumb, I have to say that Nintendo pulled this one off. This game IS a true successor to Mario 64. A lot of the game play and controls are very much alike. I was expecting a lot of weird stupid uses for the Wii controller. Thankfully I was wrong. The controls with the wii controller work seamlessly. No stupid "Wow look we have a motion detection controller in case you haven't noticed yet!", like i see on most other Wii games. Everything was functional.

Complaints: No playable Yoshi. No playable Luigi. The idea of giving the 2nd player a feature where he can be your personal star slave is pretty retarded. They could have come up with something better than that to keep the 2nd player involved. If not, just remove the whole feature entirely. The game is too dark. Yes this is due to being in space. Mario games are normally bright and happy with blue sky's. Being in space, you just get black nothingness which kind of washes out the game with darkness at times.

Overall: The game is good. I'd actually have to go as far as to say its the best game available for the Wii. I don't think its better than Mario 64, but I think that more has to deal with how Mario 64 was so revolutionary for its time, while Mario Galaxy is more like playing Mario 64 in Space. A lot of the same thing, with nice little tweaks here and there.

Score : Considering scores at review sites nowadays start at 8.0* and NEVER go below. With 8.0* being the absolute worst game possible, 9.0* being average, and 10* being perfect. I have to give Mario a 9.6*-9.7* overall.

This really is a good game. Don't let the whole Galaxy thing throw you off like it did me. Like I said before. While the Galaxy idea is stupid looking, it well makes up for that fault with stellar game play. Its definitely worth a BUY and not a RENT. If you rent it, you will end up buying it so don't waste your money.

(*= steroids)
Tygerwoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-07, 11:26 PM   #2
Zelda_fan

Default Re: Super Mario Galaxy: Super Mini Review

Oh ye of little faith :P

Have you beaten the game yet? One of your complaints is that the levels are too dark and bland, but in the reviews I heard that there is a tremendous variety as far as levels and colors go. Maybe as you progress more into the game you'll find some levels you like more.
Zelda_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-07, 12:34 AM   #3
Tygerwoody
mega ultra God Tit Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelda_fan
Oh ye of little faith :P

Have you beaten the game yet? One of your complaints is that the levels are too dark and bland, but in the reviews I heard that there is a tremendous variety as far as levels and colors go. Maybe as you progress more into the game you'll find some levels you like more.
I am on the second Galaxy. The game itself is colorful. The "dark" is only because of being in space. Nothing more. I'm just use to sun shinning in the sky for Mario games.

Obviously my nitpicks were nothing big. The game really is good and very much a reminiscent of Mario 64. Don't take my complaints too harshly as I was just picking out anything I noticed offhand.
Old 11-10-07, 12:51 AM   #4
Saintster

I was thinking of getting this one also. I think I'm going with resident evil and then the Wii goes up for sale on ebay.
Saintster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-07, 12:59 AM   #5
stncttr908

Send a message via AIM to stncttr908

Maybe this will finally allow me to dust off the household Wii.
PC - | Core i7-2600K @ stock | Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD3 | 4GB Patriot Sector 5 DDR3 | Galaxy GTX 460 1GB @ stock | Corsair Force 120GB SSD | Seagate 1TB 7200RPM | 320GB Seagate 7200.10 | 2x Seagate 500GB USB 2.0 | Lite-On 20x SATA DVD+RW | Silverstone TJ-09 | Corsair 620W PSU | Logitech Z-5500s | Sennheiser HD-570 headphones | Samsung 2494LW |

Laptop - | Dell Inspiron 1420 | C2D T7300 (2.0GHz, 4MB cache) | 2GB DDR2-667 | 160GB 7200RPM HDD | DVD +/- RW | 14.1" WXGA+ (1440x900) | Broadcom 802.11g | NVIDIA 8400M GS 128MB |
stncttr908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-07, 10:39 AM   #6
1337_Like_ThaT
O.U.T.L.A.W.

I thought this game released on the 12th?

Gaming Rig
Inte Core 2 Duo 6700 @ 3.2ghz | EVGA nForce 680i | G.Skill DDR2 800mhz 4-4-4-12 @ 2.0v | Western Digital RaptorX 150GB | Western Digital 500GB SATA II | EVGA 8800GTS 512MB | Plextor PX-716SA DVD-RW | Plextor PX-755SA DVD-RW DL | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 610 | Antec 900 BLK | Dell FPW 2005 20.1" WS | IceMat 2nd. Ed. MousePad | Logitech G15 | Logitech G9 |

160GB (60GB) PS3 Owner | DS3 Controllers | PSN: Res215dg
PSP 3000 Black + 16GB Memory Stick Duo *Locked and Ready for Resistance Retribution*
1337_Like_ThaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-07, 12:53 PM   #7
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy

Yeah how did you get it already? Damn it I want it now too!

BTW nicely written review.
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410
Ninjaman09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-07, 01:18 PM   #8
Tygerwoody
mega ultra God Tit Lord

Wow, i guess it isn't released officially is it? Maybe thats why it wasn't at the video rental store.

I picked it up at Target. Call your Target and see if they have it in stock. Thats all I did. I assumed this game had been out for a few days.

Old 11-10-07, 03:53 PM   #9
Tygerwoody
mega ultra God Tit Lord

Update.

It seems like the further I go in, the better the graphics get. At times the game looks down right impressive for being on such a low powered machine. Also, thus far the game is still very fun to play. Has not gotten boring at all. Thats Mario for ya though.
Old 11-12-07, 02:24 PM   #10
christos

Tyger - Are there large worlds (super mario 64 size or bigger) as you get deeper in the game? I've heard the music is very good, your thoughts? Are you trying for all the stars as you play, or just playing to finish?

Anyone else grab a copy of this yet? I know nintendo world in NYC has a midnight launch this morning.

I've resisted the urge to buy this and am having my wife get it (and unchartered) for me for xmas so I can feel like a little kid again on xmas morning.
christos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-07, 02:58 PM   #11
Tygerwoody
mega ultra God Tit Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by christos
Tyger - Are there large worlds (super mario 64 size or bigger) as you get deeper in the game? I've heard the music is very good, your thoughts? Are you trying for all the stars as you play, or just playing to finish?

Anyone else grab a copy of this yet? I know nintendo world in NYC has a midnight launch this morning.

I've resisted the urge to buy this and am having my wife get it (and unchartered) for me for xmas so I can feel like a little kid again on xmas morning.
There are "larger" worlds, but there are not "large worlds". Everything is based off "galaxies". Again, while this seems stupid, the more I play it, the more I like it. In review sites, all you see are the small "planets". They neglect to show you the larger ones. Most of the game is larger planets you jump to. The smaller planets are just in betweens. Yes, I am going for getting EVERY star. I don't like rushing through games like this.

Anyone reading this. You can read up posts by me and I was COMPLETELY against this idea of "galaxies", probably more so than ANYONE on the forum. My love for Super Mario was the only reason I got the game. This Galaxy thing DOES work. Its something unique brought to the table and again, shockingly works. Review sites are VERY biased in showing ONLY pictures of the "small planets" you jump on. This game is not all about just small planets. There are larger planets, but of course none that compare to a normal world in Super Mario 64(that I've seen at least).

Don't let the galaxy portion throw you off. This is hands down the best game for the Wii. I'm a self proclaimed Wii Hater. I bash the Wii on this forum more than MaguS orgasms over Sony. It takes alot for me to actually want to play the stupid thing(the Wii). With this game(Mario Galaxy), I actually want to play and do have fun. Its great. Everyone needs to give Nintendo their money in hopes that one day they will release a proper console to put it on.
Old 11-12-07, 03:11 PM   #12
Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tygerwoody
There are "larger" worlds, but there are not "large worlds". Everything is based off "galaxies". Again, while this seems stupid, the more I play it, the more I like it. In review sites, all you see are the small "planets". They neglect to show you the larger ones. Most of the game is larger planets you jump to. The smaller planets are just in betweens. Yes, I am going for getting EVERY star. I don't like rushing through games like this.

Anyone reading this. You can read up posts by me and I was COMPLETELY against this idea of "galaxies", probably more so than ANYONE on the forum. My love for Super Mario was the only reason I got the game. This Galaxy thing DOES work. Its something unique brought to the table and again, shockingly works. Review sites are VERY biased in showing ONLY pictures of the "small planets" you jump on. This game is not all about just small planets. There are larger planets, but of course none that compare to a normal world in Super Mario 64(that I've seen at least).

Don't let the galaxy portion throw you off. This is hands down the best game for the Wii. I'm a self proclaimed Wii Hater. I bash the Wii on this forum more than MaguS orgasms over Sony. It takes alot for me to actually want to play the stupid thing(the Wii). With this game(Mario Galaxy), I actually want to play and do have fun. Its great. Everyone needs to give Nintendo their money in hopes that one day they will release a proper console to put it on.
You should get Nintendo certified.
Q is offline   Reply With Quote