Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > Console World

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-18-07, 06:07 PM   #25
Zelda_fan

Default Re: Super Mario Galaxy: Super Mini Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destroy
I understand the game is good fun but I totally question why they use Mario/cartoon stuff all the time? It's great to appeal to the younger audience but they aren't earning my money in the least.

Glad the rest of you are enjoying it though.
All I have to say is thank God Nintendo doesn't cater towards people like you.
Zelda_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-07, 06:09 PM   #26
ralinn
Masters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelda_fan
lol - for once I agree

3Dmark06 Score: Who the **** actually cares?
360 & PSN ID: ralinn
ralinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-07, 06:11 PM   #27
Zelda_fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralinn
lol - for once I agree
If I had a dime for every time someone said that I'd be a rich man. Kind of ironic considering the statement.
Old 11-19-07, 11:54 AM   #28
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy

Quote:
I understand the game is good fun but I totally question why they use Mario/cartoon stuff all the time? It's great to appeal to the younger audience but they aren't earning my money in the least.

Glad the rest of you are enjoying it though.
When will this cliche die? Man it's getting old.

Oh yeah Super Mario Galaxy officially supplanted Zelda: Ocarina of Time as the best reviewed game ever on Gamerankings.com - http://www.gamerankings.com/itemrank...asp?rankings=y

and a 98 rating on Metacritic -
http://www.metacritic.com/games/plat...permariogalaxy

(also notice that 6 of the top 10 games ever are on Nintendo platforms. LULZ)

Oh and my feedback is that I love this game. I am enjoying it as much as I enjoyed Super Mario 64 which I didn't think was possible.
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410
Ninjaman09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-07, 12:13 PM   #29
Destroy

Quote:
Would it really be so bad to put a more realistic/adult visual theme to it?

Nintendo is smart. They're most likely earning more money by appealing to the younger and larger crowd so I don't blame them.

Vista64 Home Premium
Gigabyte GA-EP35C-DS3R
CPU E8500 with Corsair H50 cooler
HIS 6970, always 19x10res
Memory 8 Gig OCZ 1000@1024
Display Westinghouse 37" LVM-37w1 LCD monitor
Destroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-07, 12:17 PM   #30
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy

Quote:
How exactly would this make the game better? The visual style is a characteristic of the Mario series. How in the world would an adult theme suit the Mario franchise? What you are suggesting makes no sense. Nintendo has developed franchises with more realistic artistic design like Metroid - Mario is fine the way it is.

Just out of curiosity, how old are you? I don't want to attack you or put you down. Consider it a demographics study.
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410
Old 11-19-07, 12:21 PM   #31
Destroy

No, get rid of Mario theme altogether. Make it a...I dunno...space stud like Halo or Buck Rodgers or something.

Vista64 Home Premium
Gigabyte GA-EP35C-DS3R
Old 11-19-07, 12:25 PM   #32
Zelda_fan

Quote:

Nintendo is smart. They're most likely earning more money by appealing to the younger and larger crowd so I don't blame them.
I hate when people say games need to be made more "adult." Mario's visual style is appropriate for all ages, but it's not "kiddie." It has a charm to it, and it is part of what makes Mario so much fun.

Why is it so hard for people like you to enjoy a game for what it is? Do you think your friends would make fun of you or something if they new you played "a kiddy Nintendo game?" It's a GAME for crying out loud - the very word connotates childlike behavior.

Old 11-19-07, 12:27 PM   #33
Zelda_fan

I'm 23. I go to work every day, and I pay all my bills. I love "kiddy games" like Mario more than the uninspired "let's be violent" crap, and I'm sure I'll still be playing it when I'm in my 60s.
Old 11-19-07, 12:35 PM   #34
Destroy

Quote:
I hate when people say games need to be made more "adult." Mario's visual style is appropriate for all ages, but it's not "kiddie." It has a charm to it, and it is part of what makes Mario so much fun.

Why is it so hard for people like you to enjoy a game for what it is? Do you think your friends would make fun of you or something if they new you played "a kiddy Nintendo game?" It's a GAME for crying out loud - the very word connotates childlike behavior.

Simply a matter of taste and immersiveness.

Say for example when the movie Rambo came out and it turned out to be a cartoon movie. Would the movie still have the same appeal, I would think not.

Same applies here only in reverse.

Edit: I'm not dis'ing the game, more so dis'ing Nintendo for their uninterest to appeal more towards adult titles.

Vista64 Home Premium
Gigabyte GA-EP35C-DS3R
Old 11-19-07, 12:43 PM   #35
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy

Quote:
I'm 23. I go to work every day, and I pay all my bills. I love "kiddy games" like Mario more than the uninspired "let's be violent" crap, and I'm sure I'll still be playing it when I'm in my 60s.
Preach on! I agree. There is literally no inherent appeal to a game that is more "adult" in nature. In fact I usually find that games which go out of their way to promote a "mature" theme are usually anything but mature (and they usually suck too). Example of mature themes done right - Bioshock. Example of mature themes done wrong - Manhunt. Mature != better.

Mario is just fine the way it is. If you don't want to play it, hey it's your loss, but don't criticize the art style, which frankly is fantastic. In fact I often prefer more "cartoony" art styles because they can convey a greater sense of distinction and personality than standard "realistic" design. Look at Psychonauts, Grim Fandago, Team Fortress 2, etc. Those are games whose artistic style really stands out to me, yet could be considered "childish" by some.
Quote:
I'm not dis'ing the game, more so dis'ing Nintendo for their uninterest to appeal more towards adult titles.
My guess is the mountains of money the Mario franchise produces may be a motivating factor for sticking to their guns.
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410
Old 11-19-07, 12:43 PM   #36
zoomy942

Send a message via AIM to zoomy942 Send a message via MSN to zoomy942

Quote:

i completely agree. my younger brother loves his 360 and i asked him if he had tried the wii. he said it seems to kiddie to him.

ARG!!!!
zoomy942 is offline   Reply With Quote