Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > Console World

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-19-07, 01:07 PM   #37
buffbiff21
*B4NNED*

Default Re: Super Mario Galaxy: Super Mini Review

Just got back from Target... last 1 in stock

Just had a couple midterms and papers due today so I can finally sink my teeth into a new game. AND IT'S MARIO!!

Regarding it being kiddy or not, yeah it's kiddy. Colorful, non violent, no sex.. who cares? I grew up on Mario and thus it's very nostalgic for me to play games like this...
Old 11-19-07, 01:24 PM   #38
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffbiff21
Just got back from Target... last 1 in stock

Just had a couple midterms and papers due today so I can finally sink my teeth into a new game. AND IT'S MARIO!!

Regarding it being kiddy or not, yeah it's kiddy. Colorful, non violent, no sex.. who cares? I grew up on Mario and thus it's very nostalgic for me to play games like this...
Wait till you hear the music in game then. Oh man. It's glorious.
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410
Ninjaman09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-07, 08:33 PM   #39
Zelda_fan

I would just like to say that after collecting 20 stars, this is one of the greatest games of all time. I might even say it's a edges out Zelda Twilight Princess as the best game for the Wii, but since I'm such a fanboy I can't bring myself too it.

I've always loved every Mario game, but most of them have certain levels which were annoying or a drag to play. After getting 20 stars I can say with 100% certainty that I've loved every level so far. Even when I see a new galaxy and I'm looking at it and it looks like a dump heap and I'm thinking "oh man that level might be a drag" I play it and the music/gameplay/controls/art design come together and I'm really into the level.

If you own a Wii and you don't buy this game then their is something wrong with you. If you don't own a Wii then you truly are missing out on one of the greatest games of all time. I really had no idea the game would going to be this good.

I'll have to reserve judgment until I beat it, but I can't think of anything AT ALL that I don't like about this game.
Zelda_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-07, 10:02 PM   #40
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelda_fan
I would just like to say that after collecting 20 stars, this is one of the greatest games of all time. I might even say it's a edges out Zelda Twilight Princess as the best game for the Wii, but since I'm such a fanboy I can't bring myself too it.
It blows every other game on the system away, and most other games as well.
Quote:
I've always loved every Mario game, but most of them have certain levels which were annoying or a drag to play. After getting 20 stars I can say with 100% certainty that I've loved every level so far. Even when I see a new galaxy and I'm looking at it and it looks like a dump heap and I'm thinking "oh man that level might be a drag" I play it and the music/gameplay/controls/art design come together and I'm really into the level.
None of the levels are a drag at all. I'm 62 stars into the game now, and I still can't believe how much fun I'm still having. Not once has the game felt repetitive or gimmicky, and each new level and even each star in the levels offers something fresh.
Quote:
If you own a Wii and you don't buy this game then their is something wrong with you. If you don't own a Wii then you truly are missing out on one of the greatest games of all time. I really had no idea the game would going to be this good.
I agree completely. This game is worth buying a Wii for, even if it's the only game you ever play on it. And this game took me by surprise too. If I had known how good it was going to be, I would have probably pulled a Cartman and gone to extreme lengths to ease the pain of anticipating its release. As it stands I was mildly interested only to be amazed at how good the finished product is.
Quote:
I'll have to reserve judgment until I beat it, but I can't think of anything AT ALL that I don't like about this game.
I don't think you ever will. In fact the game only gets better after you complete the main story (which is far from the end of the game). I don't know what to expect exactly going forward but I'm not going to read any FAQs or anything. All I know is I still have a lot of work to do after collecting 62 stars and completing the story.

This is one of those games where the reviews, hype, and publicity are all deserved. It's the best game I've played all year, and quite likely the best Mario game in the series. This is a must-own game for anyone.
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410
Ninjaman09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-07, 01:19 AM   #41
Zelda_fan

Wow, this game just keeps getting better and better. And the difficultly is perfectly balanced too. Not too easy, not too hard, just right. It's a lot of fun, but at the same time, it's not a pushover. Certain levels I'll die a lot, but eventually I'll make it through.

It's kind of Zelda-ish in a weird sort of way. Adventuring to distant lands, saving princesses, and solving environment puzzles in real time.
Old 11-21-07, 01:27 AM   #42
Zelda_fan

here's a quote on metacritic that kind of sums it up:

Quote:
I feel like a child again. That is the best feeling anyone can ever get from a game. No other game has did this to me since... I was a kid. The music is breathtaking at some parts, like fighting Bowser, and the gameplay is amazing. It does take a little time to get used to, but when you do, you will be playing the best game on Wii, if not, one of the best games ever.
this game is the real deal folks
Old 11-21-07, 07:11 AM   #43
ralinn
Masters

Gah I need more time to play it! At the moment, me and my brother are playing Eye of Judgement together. I really don't have time to do both

I'll probably get some Mario play time in at the weekend though... oh god, bring on the weekend already (and xmas holidays)!!

3Dmark06 Score: Who the **** actually cares?
360 & PSN ID: ralinn
ralinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-07, 10:08 AM   #44
911medic
Is it football season yet

This game is a lot of fun, and what's more, my boys (4, 8, 11) can enjoy it with me, which is more than I can say for most games I play. The last Mario game I played was Super Mario World on SNES, and this brings back memories! But it's sooooo much better.
E4300 @ 3GHz (lapped) || Tuniq Tower 120 (lapped) || Gigabyte EP45-UD3L || eVGA 8800GTS 640MB @ 648/1512/999 || 6GB DDR2-800 @ 5-5-5-15|| 74GB Raptor || 80GB Caviar || 250GB WD || Corsair HX520W || Samsung 225BW 22" LCD (1680x1050) || X-Fi XtremeGamer || Win7 RC x64 || Antec SX1040BII Server Tower || Altec-Lansing ATP3 Speakers
No comprehension to fail; I vacuum the wind for my sail
Can't be the rest; Let others waste my time?
Owning success is the bottom line

911medic is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-22-07, 10:48 PM   #45
Mathesar

Thumbs up Re: Super Mario Galaxy: Super Mini Review

51 Stars here and would have to agree this game is simply brilliant, By far the best game on Wii and one of the best games Ive played on any system period.
6 GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600 (3 x 2GB / Triple channel)
EVGA GTX 480 + EVGA GTX 260 Superclocked (PhysX)
Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic / Logitech Z5500's
Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro headphones + Go-Vibe V4 amp
2.4TB Total HDD / Win 7 64bit Ultimate
Samsung PX2370 LED TN & Samsung 2333T PVA
Pioneer Kuro 5080HD Plasma.
Mathesar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-07, 12:19 AM   #46
methimpikehoses

If you have a wii, you buy it expecting to play G-PG rated games, right???

Buy a PS3 or 360 if you want horror and blood...

I have yet to hook up my new wii, but this game is the first one that goes in tomorrow.
Old 11-23-07, 12:22 AM   #47
Zelda_fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by methimpikehoses
If you have a wii, you buy it expecting to play G-PG rated games, right???

Buy a PS3 or 360 if you want horror and blood...

I have yet to hook up my new wii, but this game is the first one that goes in tomorrow.
Metroid and Zelda are not "PG rated" at all. They aren't horror and blood either, but lie somewhere in between.

Personally, I don't particularly care for most of the games with all out "guts and gore" type content.
Old 11-23-07, 12:51 AM   #48
Zelda_fan

Ok, so I've beaten the game on the first 60 stars. I plan on going for 120, but I feel I have enough play time to deliver my final judgment. I now stand confused as to what is my favorite game of all time: Super Mario Galaxy or Zelda: Ocarina of Time. And for anyone who's spent 2 seconds in this forum, you'll know that's the highest praise I'll ever give a game. Yes, it really is that good.

You have a Wii? BUY THIS GAME! You don't like kiddy games? BUY THIS GAME! Sony fanboy? BUY THIS GAME! Hate Mario and anything Nintendo? BUY THIS GAME! Unless your brain is mentally defective, I don't understand how someone couldn't enjoy this game.

Where to even begin? The uniqueness of the gameplay is beyond anything I've ever seen in any game. There are 120 stars to collect (aka 120 levels), and while I've only played through 63 of them, each and every one of them presents a new challenge that's fresh, original, and fun. NOTHING feels repetitive. EVER.

Difficulty is perfectly balanced. About 40% of the levels are fairly easy (you might die once or not at all), another 40% present a bit of a challenge, and the final 20% are very difficult. This system works perfect so a beginner can still beat the game with sixty stars, but the more advanced players are still challenged should they decide to go for all 120 stars.

The music and graphics aren't so much "kiddy" as they are charming. The best way I can describe it is it feels like your first trip to Dinesy World as a kid. If that sounds confusing, just play the game for a few hours and you'll know exactly what I mean. The music in particular is brilliant.

Throughout the entire game, not once did I ever say to myself "this part just isn't that fun." Not once. Even Ocarina of Time and Twilight Princess had one or two "fetch quests" that, while not annoying, weren't exactly truckloads of fun (The Zelda games have a more epic scope to them which is why I can't really say Galaxy is better than them). Galaxy on the other hand, is simply non stop fun. Even when it got challenging, I don't remember a single instance where I was not having fun.

If you do not buy this game, you are missing out on one of the greatest games of all time. A game like this comes out maybe once every decade. Last decade is was Ocarina of Time. This decade it's Mario Galaxy. I really really hope the next Zelda for the Wii gets a similar treatment. Blows my mind to think of how awesome it would be.

Well done Nintendo. No one does it better.